Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,201 of 12,371
In numerical terms, which frequencies are you talking about? I notice many recordings are EQ'ed to have little content below 30-40 hz, certainly under 20 hz. (Of course, many recordings aren't mic'ed in a way that allows much even below 80hz.) It's saddening, though, because 20-40hz is a really important range and one which most of my transducers are capable of reproducing.

I've also heard that content below 20 hz serves to due little other than stress your drivers. When I play <20hz test tones through my subwoofer, I just get a bizarre and unsettling vibration.
From subsonic (≈15) to ≈ 60Hz are the primary frequencies I am focusing upon.
As for running test tones, I can see where that could be a problem, especially with upstream gear that may exacerbate the problem.
And really continual single frequency test tones, where resonances are 'encouraged' are 'unrepresentative' of music in the first place.

And so while listening to music, the net effect of achieving a 'flat' (±) response down to these frequencies is essential for those tracks that do contain these sub harmonics.
And when the system is capable of presenting these lowest octaves, the rest of the audible spectrum improves as well, even if these lowest octaves have been chopped off in the recording.

As for the added stress to the drivers etc.
That is much more true with speakers, but with headphones with their much lower excursion, this is no where near as important.

JJ

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,202 of 12,371

I paid for mine. Dunno about others.

Why? I don't care what Robert Harley or Michael Fremer think. When Stereophile says the Benchmark DAC1 is a Class "A" Digital component, I have doubts about their ears or honesty. 80% of the gear that has a TAS super award , I think is crap.

I'm not. I haven't really said much about it on HF for a while. The only thing I did recently was correct your assertion that discrete resistors provided more relative accuracy than the AD5751.

Why would I want to get folks from the Los Angeles Astronomical society? All kidding aside, I get audiophiles in my house all the time to compare stuff. Most I know well, and many times every time new people. I also organize a lot of small semi-public meets. Lots of new people every time.

I agree that the MSB is a fuller warmer sounding DAC with mellower treble if that is what you are looking for. This is why I've suggested, as a personal project, taking the outputs from the pins of the chips and running a tube buffer in place of the FETs.

However, I still maintain Yggy is more resolving with better microdynamics. My priority for DACs rests on resolution and the micro-stuff more than tonal coloring. I already have another DAC which gives me more ease and fluidity, however I find it a tad too forgiving and artificially smooth. Heck, even the 20 year old Spectral SDR2000 sounds better than the MSB if you want that kind of sound. If your are not hearing the Yggy as being much more resolving than the MSB Analog DAC (I believe we've already been through this), you need to look elsewhere in your chain. It could be your active preamp, or 15 piece x-over in your speakers, or maybe your cables are getting in the way.

Keep the chain simple. Limit the number of gain and buffer stages in each device. You are probably running two stages in your preamp and three stages in your speaker amp. Get rid of crap that doesn't need to be there like your preamp. The Yggy's outputs should be hot enough to drive an passive pre or autoformer. Minimize reactive components (caps + coils) in passive speaker x-overs.

Also, consider that you are running a setup that tends to be very different from most people here on HF. One of the secret advantages to headphones is that the signal chains are extremely simple (typically two stage amps, no pre, and no x-over). I don't think a lot of HF'ers realize how resolving their setups are compared to most speaker systems, even expensive ones. Finally, as we say, YMMV. Your personal truth may very well be different from my truth, which may be different from others' truths.

Stupid argument, but lets continue on it. What's the rate of sale or return? Schiit was sold hundreds already and I bet they will sell 50-100 per month. How many DACs does MSB sell per year? 24? 29? In ten to fifteen years, there won't be enough rich old audiophiles to keep companies like MSB afloat. Keep in mind that I turned down several opportunities to purchase MSB DACs. 

Again, this is just a stupid argument because we can always turn things around and say Schiit is more popular.

Last time I checked when I was interested in an MSB DAC about a year ago, there were three on the 'gon.

ABSOLUTELY! I agree wholeheartedly that a simple system is WAY more resolving and more engaging, in my opinion according to my experience, than a complicated system.....in terms of gain stages and passive crossover parts and preamps.

Before I got into open-baffle, active-crossover speaker setups, I modified a two-way speaker, which had complicated 4th order passive crossovers, with expensive caps , resistors, and coils. My simple, two-way open baffle high efficiency speaker setup BLEW away that boxed, low-efficiency, super-complicated passive crossover speaker. Now with active crossovers, in the digital domain, there is no phase shift anymore with analog crossovers in the analog domain.

I am  a NO PREAMP person! When I heard a simple passive pot-box blow away my Audio Research tube linestage I became a believer. When I say to "keep things simple"  I am referring, as Purrin is, to the gain stages. I have zero preamps, zero passive crossover parts, EXCEPT the single 1uf cap on the super-tweeters which are in parallel with the air-motion transformer tweeters. this was simply to augment frequencies above 20kHz.

My Yggy is now on day 5 1/2. It opened up CONSIDERABLY on day 3. BTW, I leave ALL my gear on except my modified Behringer EP2500 power amp which does not have a standby mode, like the Crown K2s do. Day 3 gave me a much more open soundstage, but it wasn't that it was just more "open" but that the palpability and space around the instruments took on a whole new level of dimensionality. Much more holographic, 3D sound. There was increased dimensionality to the performers and instruments portrayed on the soundstage.

Yggy compared to gungnir multibit, I can't say that Yggy is 100% and Gumby is 90% of Yggy. YMMV in your sytem with your setup, and whether listenign to headphones or speakers, HOWEVER in my oinion, to my ears, in my system, Yggy is just simply in a whole new league and to say Gumby is 90% of Yggy is not a fair comparison. Compared to Gumby, Yggy has an additional transformer, and an additional DSP board, AND USB generation 3, however all my listening is via RCA coax input from a USB/SPDIF converter.

If you are happy with Gumby, DO NOT listen to Yggy. Gumby is amazing, but I warn you, DO NOT listen to Yggy if you are happy with Gumby. Yggy is worth EVERY cent more the cost than Gumby.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #1,203 of 12,371
Edit...
  Before I got into open-baffle, active-crossover speaker setups, I modified a two-way speaker, which had complicated 4th order passive crossovers, with expensive caps , resistors, and coils. My simple, two-way open baffle high efficiency speaker setup BLEW away that boxed, low-efficiency, super-complicated passive crossover speaker. Now with active crossovers, in the digital domain, there is no phase shift anymore with analog crossovers in the analog domain.

TubemanRQ,
I'd like to encourage you to open up a thread in the DIY section regarding your speaker building / digital Xover experiences. I've done a little speaker building in the past and have always been intrigued by eliminating passive Xover components. I think you will find that there are others that would be interested in this also.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,205 of 12,371
That quote from purrin - months ago in response to another head-fier - was confusing until I read it in context. Judicious pruning always a good idea when pulling posts from the 'distant' past :wink:

+1 to a thread in the DIY. Interesting stuff TubemanRQ

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,206 of 12,371
Last night was great listening. Granted, evenings are quieter (and probably better line conditions, no conditioning equipment here). Still, I couldn't take my headphones off. I'm liking the resolving power.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,209 of 12,371
If anyone is interested than I upgraded the power cord to the Iggy from a generic one to a Nordost Blue Heaven (2.5m) - and the difference is very noticeable - bigger 'body' duller sound - better dynamics - the works. For the price (£274) - a little more than 10% of the Yggy's - I think it's a worthy upgrade.

Just to be sure I had a friend over and we switched back to the generic - night and day difference.

Good luck,
YMMV

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,210 of 12,371
Every CD player or DAC I have ever owned that took a standard power cord (and there have been many) was highly influenced by the particular power cord. In my experimentation, the power cord choice influences digital components more than any other type of component. I consider it critical. I use an (old but classic) Shunyata Anaconda VX on each of mine currently. I tried many of them, and settled on the Shunyata. Even some very expensive ones were not good, often accentuating digital glare.

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,211 of 12,371
  If anyone is interested than I upgraded the power cord to the Iggy from a generic one to a Nordost Blue Heaven (2.5m) - and the difference is very noticeable - bigger 'body' duller sound - better dynamics - the works. For the price (£274) - a little more than 10% of the Yggy's - I think it's a worthy upgrade.

Just to be sure I had a friend over and we switched back to the generic - night and day difference.

Good luck,
YMMV

I'​ll bite, but you knew what one you were listening to at the time right?

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,212 of 12,371

I'​ll bite, but you knew what one you were listening to at the time right?

Yes,
I know where you are going with this - but I felt the difference was very obvious so didn't felt a need to do blind testing.

BTW
I noticed some funny behavior form the Yggy when swapping power cables - I turned it off before disconnecting and reconnecting the power cables - less then 30 seconds but when I turned it on back again - the 'get better gear light' kept blinking and the button that changes the inputs was stuck - i.e. pressing it repeatedly didn't change the inputs... I turned it off again and waited a few moments and it went back to normal behavior.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,213 of 12,371
Yes,
I know where you are going with this - but I felt the difference was very obvious so didn't felt a need to do blind testing.

BTW

I noticed some funny behavior form the Yggy when swapping power cables - I turned it off before disconnecting and reconnecting the power cables - less then 30 seconds but when I turned it on back again - the 'get better gear light' kept blinking and the button that changes the inputs was stuck - i.e. pressing it repeatedly didn't change the inputs... I turned it off again and waited a few moments and it went back to normal behavior.

That's means the power cord is no good !:grinning:

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #1,215 of 12,371
And, here, I thought the light meant "Get your ears washed out"........  
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back