Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,051 of 12,310
Just ordered my Yggy today.  See how long it takes to get, it still says low stock might be late Sept. or early Oct before it ships and seeing as it is early Oct.  Looking forward to getting it.

Well I guess they are all caught up on Yggy orders I just got the email this morning it shipped and I should have it Thursday. Woot!

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,052 of 12,310

I cannot really comment on 1 but in regards to 2:
The answer is yes and no.  Most solid state components have stated life spans in the 50K to 100K hours easily.  This means that even if it dies at the exact amount of stated hours it will still run for 50-100K hours.  So the question is how you get there not as much as how long.  At 50K hours always on is almost 6 YEARS of time and 100K hours is over 11 YEARS.  So even running always on you should have plenty of time before anything goes wrong and even if a cap dies early it will still probably be within Schiit's waranty of 5 years.  So yes you could theoretically extend life by turning it off but as they stated with Yggy it has to warm back up every time you turn it back on and that is listed at hours not just a few minutes. I would rather have it always ready.

Uhmmm... so one should choose between using a DAC at "full power" and enjoying it for a long time?

But it seems that many audio equipments are lasting 20+ years, consider for example the Theta Digital DAC. If I had to keep Yggdrasil always on, only to change it after 5-6 years, I would be disappointed, because I'd do my best to ensure it a long life (given what one would pay for it). So, I wonder if by keeping it on 24/7, it really could last only 5-6 years, or it would be more. In the second case, then I suppose it would be great to never turn it off, if lifespan wouldn't be greatly reduced.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,053 of 12,310
Uhmmm... so one should choose between using a DAC at "full power" and enjoying it for a long time?

But it seems that many audio equipments are lasting 20+ years, consider for example the Theta Digital DAC. If I had to keep Yggdrasil always on, only to change it after 5-6 years, I would be disappointed, because I'd do my best to ensure it a long life (given what one would pay for it). So, I wonder if by keeping it on 24/7, it really could last only 5-6 years, or it would be more. In the second case, then I suppose it would be great to never turn it off, if lifespan wouldn't be greatly reduced.

Many solid state electronics will last well beyond those stated times. The problem is they have to list a suggested life span and at that point do you really want to wait 5 to 10 years to figure it out before releasing a product. A friend of mine works for 3m in their led lighting division and she said they list 25k hours as lifespan because they will last that long but they honestly don't know total because of how long those lifespans are. So even though a manufacturer may list 100k hours many times 200k to 300k is not uncommon.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,054 of 12,310
You also need to remember that turning them off and on will thermal cycle the components which may shorten the life, or not...

My suggestion is to follow the recommendations from the builders (Schiit) and stop worrying, just enjoy the music. :)

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,055 of 12,310

When a DAC is powered from USB, is where the Wyrd comes in. It filters the power. The Yggy has it's own power supply.
Like most high end DACs, they cut the 5v pin on the USB input. The Wyrd factually should make zero difference.

I'm not 100% sure the Yggy 5V usb pin is cut, but I'd say 95% sure it is.

EDIT:
I found this from another thread posted by Negura.

I'm not sure how Negura would know this about the Yggy? Maybe Jason can give a definitive answer. 

It was a while ago, but it was likely very easy to test. I have a Y split USB cable. The power and data lines have separate connectors. Disconnecting the 5V connector if the USB input stops working or doesn't power on, then it uses USB power for whatever purpose.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,056 of 12,310
  Just ordered my Yggy today.  See how long it takes to get, it still says low stock might be late Sept. or early Oct before it ships and seeing as it is early Oct.  Looking forward to getting it.

I was just going to ask something like that. Let's call it a pre-impressions post, to keep this thread on track. What is the current wait-time?

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #1,059 of 12,310
Here's a surprising result.  I moved the Yggy/Rag stack from my office into the living room for the weekend, replacing the tiny footprint tube amp in my main system.  Obviously, I figured my wife would not appreciate these two enormous silver boxes taking up most of the shelf and would immediately ask for me to swap them back again. She said nothing about them all weekend...bad sign I figured. After moving them back to the office on Monday, later than evening she randomly came out with "awww, why did you take those silver things away?  They looked great". I think I love her just a little bit more now
tongue_smile.gif
.  So, you heard it here first...Yggdrasil/Ragnarok stack is wife friendly!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,060 of 12,310
I tried hard (and failed) to get a black Yggy, partly to make it more wife-friendly by "disappearing" more in certain ambient lighting situations, but she seems to like it in silver. Maybe what I consider to be "bland" is what women consider smooth and elegant.

Furthermore, I dabbed the LEDs with a black marker pen to tone down the LED brightness in evening conditions, after which she said she missed the bright twinkling lights in the corner! 

Which just goes to show that I'm useless at predicting a woman's reaction to aesthetics (and probably just about everything really). But I'd still like to have the Yggy in black.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,061 of 12,310

Which just goes to show that I'm useless at predicting a woman's reaction to aesthetics (and probably just about everything really). 

Welcome to the club, Brother!

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,064 of 12,310
Does anybody have a list of songs that illustrate what the Yggdrasil can do?
I've finally had mine on for a week, and want to start doing A/B with my M7.

16/44 rips of familiar and varied music tells the whole story for me.

Result: Who needs hi rez files! I'm re-listening to everything I own!

My Yggy, however, took longer than a week to come fully on song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back