Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #5,971 of 12,298
From the manual…

"IMPORTANT

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance.
Seriously. No kidding.

Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation.

Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear.

snip
Sooooo… turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can't hear a difference after it’s been on for a few days.

And yes, this applies to first turn-on, too."

And from personal experience, after 'going cold' and then being turned on again, it will take between 24-48hrs of continual operation to return to optimal operation.
And that is AFTER the initial settling in when new, which can take several weeks of continuous operation.

And it isn't just a matter of reaching full temperature, even though that is the common perception.

Welcome to the world of tweako audio where the audio-phool is expected to live with a certain amount of inconvenience in order to reach those long sough after sonic heights of nirvana. :)

JJ

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #5,972 of 12,298
And there were reports of people who claimed they didn't hear a difference when it was cold and warmed for 24hr.
As it is a custom here only A/B can reveal the truth.
@TGBerland mentioned that he had two Yggdrasils. I wonder if he could A/B warm and cold Yggdrasils for the benefit of humankind.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #5,973 of 12,298
Yes there are some who don't hear any differences either in the short nor long term.
This could be for a variety of reasons based upon the circumstances where the Jggy is being used.

But for those who do hear these subtle differences, these settling in times seem to be repeated and I too have heard these progressions of SQ.

And of course YMMV.

JJ

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #5,974 of 12,298
From the manual…

"IMPORTANT

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance.
Seriously. No kidding.

Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation.

Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear.

snip
Sooooo… turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can't hear a difference after it’s been on for a few days.

And yes, this applies to first turn-on, too."

And from personal experience, after 'going cold' and then being turned on again, it will take between 24-48hrs of continual operation to return to optimal operation.
And that is AFTER the initial settling in when new, which can take several weeks of continuous operation.

And it isn't just a matter of reaching full temperature, even though that is the common perception.

Welcome to the world of tweako audio where the audio-phool is expected to live with a certain amount of inconvenience in order to reach those long sough after sonic heights of nirvana. :)

JJ

JJ -

Yes, I have read the manual. In such detail that I was able to inform Schiit of the error on the page where it indicates "5 VCO/VCXO" and this is number 6 in the diagram. Point is, I can be rather detailed. Trust me.

Despite what the manual RECOMMENDS the questions remain:

• Is there truly a sound performance benefit? I read some yes, some no.
  • If there is an audible benefit to leaving it on 24/7, how much benefit and what can one listen for to discern it?
  • Is there a detriment to the health, longevity, life expectancy, etc. of the unit to leave it on continually?
  • Is there a detriment to the health, longevity, life expectancy, etc. of the unit to turn it off and on daily?
Thank you JJ
:musical_note:

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #5,975 of 12,298
Is there truly a sound performance benefit?

Definitely. People who don't hear any difference at all don't have a matching quality gear to the Yggy to reveal it I believe.

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #5,977 of 12,298
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #5,980 of 12,298
Guys (Gals?), I appreciate your "feedback" (no Hendrix or Grateful Dead reference pun intended).

OKAY - I will concede to your presumably better judgement in terms of sound quality, as being *a* reason to leave the unit continuously on.

However, can anyone speak to part 2 of my question, which asks whether or not it is "better" for the units longevity, overall life expectancy, etc.?

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #5,981 of 12,298
Guys (Gals?), I appreciate your "feedback" (no Hendrix or Grateful Dead reference pun intended).

OKAY - I will concede to your presumably better judgement in terms of sound quality, as being *a* reason to leave the unit continuously on.

However, can anyone speak to part 2 of my question, which asks whether or not it is "better" for the units longevity, overall life expectancy, etc.?

Mine gets turned on and off. I tried the whole week on thingy and didn't hear anything in it.
It got hot after a week tho. Actually got hotter than my tube amp. So I didn't like the idea.
I would have thought it wasn't great for expectancy.

After it does it's blinky startup it sounds great to me. Often really cold to touch on startup and it
sounds the same. I never think oh! it's harsh. Always sounds great.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #5,982 of 12,298
Mine gets turned on and off. I tried the whole week on thingy and didn't hear anything in it.
It got hot after a week tho. Actually got hotter than my tube amp. So I didn't like the idea.
I would have thought it wasn't great for expectancy.

After it does it's blinky startup it sounds great to me. Often really cold to touch on startup and it
sounds the same. I never think oh! it's harsh. Always sounds great.
I keep reading about the Yggy getting hot, and it’s even mentioned in the manual. Mine only gets barely warm. What gives?

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #5,983 of 12,298
I keep reading about the Yggy getting hot, and it’s even mentioned in the manual. Mine only gets barely warm. What gives?

I think it is weather related. The times I have left it on for a week. Sometimes it was warm other times hot.
I think a few degrees can make big difference to the Yggy.
Each time it was hot it was a warmer day in general.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #5,984 of 12,298

I've had my Bifrost Multibit for 2 years continuously ON and zero problems whatsoever. I'll add that it sounds even better than ever after a year of being ON and to me, it's better than the Gumby I've demoed some time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back