Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 19, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #5,926 of 12,344
They look handsome. So you currently use the yggy with them? I was curious, what made you decide to get these particular pair of speakers, and do you think they resolve well with the yggdrasil? I wonder what "level" of speaker one would need to hear the benefits of a higher quality dac like the yggy or what characteristics a speaker needs to have to take advantage of better gear.

Those speakers sound less forward than other floorstanders I've heard since I like that the instruments are a bit more separate and distinct. Yggdrasil just improves on this on a different level. To me, I don't think they are bottlenecking Yggdrasil in the detail department. One thing to improve though is bass extension and definition on the lowest octave as IMO they're lacking compared to others.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #5,927 of 12,344
In answer to your question, I primarily listen to Grateful Dead. However, for purposes of comparison to my Oppo UDP-205 or anything delta sigma,I am focusing on "cymbal decay". So, please indicate any 30 second passage in the following musical passage that reveals the Schiit Yggdrasil "magic".
https://freesound.org/people/unfa/sounds/184590/
I'd not expect a random recording created under home conditions (I read the description) to bring out the relatively subtle differences between fairly high-end DACs. Nor those Grateful Dead recordings I've listened to, for that matter. I've done A/B comparisons between the (very good) delta-sigma internal DAC in my Hegel H360 and my Yggy feeding the XLR inputs of the same integrated amp with my wife (who has very keen hearing, she's able to distinguish the I2S and the S/PDIF inputs on my home office headphone system -- see my sig) and with a friend, neither knowing which was which, and they clearly preferred the Yggy's greater realism, detail, and dynamics (well recorded orchestral music and jazz).

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #5,928 of 12,344
Got it with thanks..... Although I am not sure what follows the Yggy -- is it cans, speakers?? Or did I miss something. A quick look at the title of my thread will reveal me as a deadhead since the 1960s. Their best sounding studio recording is American Beauty. Yes, John Hunter did write Ripple, a superb cut.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #5,929 of 12,344
@jcn3

Glad you found my prior post with equipment information.

Under "Baldr" is simply "Sponsor: Schiit Audio". That could be anybody, hence my question.

In answer to your question, I primarily listen to Grateful Dead. However, for purposes of comparison to my Oppo UDP-205 or anything delta sigma,I am focusing on "cymbal decay". So, please indicate any 30 second passage in the following musical passage that reveals the Schiit Yggdrasil "magic".

https://freesound.org/people/unfa/sounds/184590/

Thanks.

I don't believe that focusing on tiny snippets of music, especially one instrument, gets to the essence of a great dac.

Listening to album(s), sinking into the timbre, texture, detail, space and life that Yggy resolves, shows it all and draws me in. Then, returning to a lesser dac, these factors are all diminished and the same recording is lifeless and uninvolving.

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #5,930 of 12,344
Got it with thanks..... Although I am not sure what follows the Yggy -- is it cans, speakers?? Or did I miss something. A quick look at the title of my thread will reveal me as a deadhead since the 1960s. Their best sounding studio recording is American Beauty. Yes, John Hunter did write Ripple, a superb cut.

Yggy > Musical Fidelity M6si > Golden Ear Triton Reference
please don't ask for the types of cables. trust me, they are more than adequate

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #5,931 of 12,344
I don't believe that focusing on tiny snippets of music, especially one instrument, gets to the essence of a great dac.

Listening to album(s), sinking into the timbre, texture, detail, space and life that Yggy resolves, shows it all and draws me in. Then, returning to a lesser dac, these factors are all diminished and the same recording is lifeless and uninvolving.

At the moment I'm not looking to get the essence of a great dac. Rather, I'm looking for an iota of evidence it is, and hopeful my ears can corroborate the myriads of hype. I grant you, listening to snippets of "test" samples is not all inclusive of an evaluation. It is merely one aspect of it.

Using a source I found of Rebecca Pidgeon Spanish Harlem, and which windows reports a bit rate of 2967kbps and the Yggy LEDs indicate 48 and x2, (therefore hi-rez), I have listened to random sequences of about 15 seconds or so, and low and behold, I may (I'd like to try this blind, unable to do so at the moment) have "found the difference"! Mind you, all I need/want is some iota of evidence that there is an "improvement". But what I've discovered may be more than an iota, and instead just my own increased understanding as to what to listen for.

Within the track, from time segment 1:55 remaining to 1:45 remaining (albeit 10 seconds), there is bass, violin, and a maracas. Through the Yggy, the bass is definitely more pronounced, more "authentic" sounding, and it vibrates or "lingers on" just a hair longer than when played via the Oppo. The violin too appears a tad bit more authentic; and that is fine, if in fact it is a more accurate reproduction. I'm still "testing", but I *think* I'm beginning to hear a quality difference.

I am also attempting to enlist the ears of others individuals to listen (blind) and provide an opinion.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #5,932 of 12,344
@gdhal Are you sure that your integrated pre-amp is not re-digitizing the analog signal from the Yggy then using its own internal DAC to output a new analog signal?

I've had the Yggy for 24 hours and the moment I turned it on I could hear a difference from my other digital sources. For sure, it's too early to make any meaningful comparisons yet, but sonically it definitely different.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #5,933 of 12,344
Maybe I can steer this back on-topic.....Hey @Baldr , are you always tinkering with your filters? Or do you think what you've got right now is the best you can do with the components you have access to build DACs from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #5,935 of 12,344
I am thinking of upgrading my Perfectwave but wonder how much of an improvement it might be. Has anyone ever compared the Yggy to the PS Audio Perfectwave II? I have struggled with this decision for too long and thought I would get some input. If so, what would you say are the audio differences between the two DAC's? I have searched and not found any direct comparisons.
TIA

You’ll be pleasantly suprised.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #5,937 of 12,344
@Blueshound24

I owned both for a period of time but eventually sold the PWD II. The yggy is simply more resolving and made my music sound more fun to listen to. It seemed to add an extra layer of goodness. I'm not saying the PWD II isn't any good- it is. The yggy simply suited me better. As kazsud said: you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #5,938 of 12,344
Oct 21, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #5,939 of 12,344
I don't expect an answer To anything. I was explaining how Mike Moffat would have viewed me as a potential customer. "If he's reluctant to buy now because of a rumour, he'll never have bought it anyway!" seems to be the kind of attitude he has with potential customers. It's pessimistic sure but that's just how he is as a person I suppose. Anyway, he's the one laughing just look how successful schiit has been, even with the polarizing marketing and treatment of people who annoy him. He's definitely laughing.

Don't know if Mike is laughing, but you certainly crack me up.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #5,940 of 12,344
Rumor has it there is a known (to Schiit) problem with the GEN 5 USB software, that prevents it from playing 24-bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back