Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 15, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #5,116 of 12,283
Has anyone noticed any changes by changing the AES cable into the Yggy? is there any recommendation for a good aes cable specially if someone has compared a few of them?

May 15, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #5,117 of 12,283
My 2 cents: let the designers design, and decide what you as a user like by listening to it. Nothing else matters. And anyone who thinks a design has an issue should go out and make one of their own. Or at least buy something else.

re: AES cables. They work great.

May 15, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #5,118 of 12,283
Has anyone noticed any changes by changing the AES cable into the Yggy? is there any recommendation for a good aes cable specially if someone has compared a few of them?
I use Pro Co 3' Premium Canare AES/EBU Cable ($54.99 from Sweetwater) between SU-1 and Yggy. That cable is used for pro studio and performance work. I didn't bother with pricier "audiophile" cables, under the assumption that what the studio uses for moving the recorded bits is good enough to move the same bits before I listen to them :wink:

May 15, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #5,119 of 12,283
As I hear it, the use of silver wire in an AES cable helps the signal strength up into the MHz region.
I have noticed an improvement over 'pro audio' cable and connectors when using tweako aes cables.

And they don't have to cost an arm and a leg, but they will cost more than 'regular' 110Ω cables.

You might want to try DH Labs cables.
http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D110.html
They will cost ≈$100 depending upon length.

JJ

May 15, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,120 of 12,283
I have been happy with Mogami Gold Studio AES . 50 some dollars. And yes it is no contest that the Yggy sounds best using AES .Thats why I have an Auralic Aries hooked up to it and not a Sonore microrendu

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #5,121 of 12,283
I have been happy with Mogami Gold Studio AES . 50 some dollars. And yes it is no contest that the Yggy sounds best using AES .Thats why I have an Auralic Aries hooked up to it and not a Sonore microrendu
I have the Mogami Gold.. it's the warmest of my AES cables. I have entry level Wireworld, DH Labs and Wireworld Gold. Copper Wireworld is a nice smooth sound, Dh Labs is more energetic but seems a bit harsh in the treble. Wireworld Gold is energetic yet smooth. Bang for the buck, I like the copper Wireworld but it's a little more relaxed. Good luck. I have all these for sale at 1/2 price of retail plus shipping (except the gold).

May 16, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #5,122 of 12,283
Looking into the cables mentioned.

Is it recommended to use 110 Ohm cable or 75 Ohm? Can either be used?

May 16, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #5,123 of 12,283
The AES spec is 110Ω
The SPDIF spec is 75Ω

AES uses 2 conductors inside a shield.
SPDIF uses 1 conductor inside a shield (coax).

JJ

May 16, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #5,124 of 12,283
AES uses 2 conductors inside a shield.

AES/EBU uses three conductors irrespective of shielding:

Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Signal + (hot)
Pin 3: Signal - (cold)

Anyone that builds an AES/EBU cable utilizing the shield as the third conductor is taking a shortcut.

May 16, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #5,125 of 12,283
Thanks for that clarification.
My primary point was it would be hard to use a 75Ω coax cable in an AES 110Ω circuit.

As for 2 or 3 wires for AES, whatever works for you.
I use 2 wire with shield, solid silver wire and I'm quite pleased with the results.

Do you have any recommendations for 3 wire 110Ω cable?
I haven't seen any listed when I went looking for wire to use.
I'd like to explore that, to see if and what SQ differences there are.

JJ

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #5,126 of 12,283
Related to the current discussion about cables, I have a question. I am feeding my Yggy as follows: Roon => Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry Digi+ Pro Coax => Neutrik NADITBNC-M Coax to AES/EBU converter (75Ω -> 110Ω) => Balanced cable into AES/EBU input of my Yggy.

Is doing the conversion from coax to aes/ebu actually buying me anything? Sure, I am using the preferred input on the Yggy, but is it false comfort, since I am not really directly feeding it a balanced signal? Since I am doing the conversion with the Neutrik but starting as SE coax, would my results be the same just going into the coax input on the Yggy (or possibly better since I would remove the converter and a cable from the signal path)? I have much to learn! I just want to feed my new Yggy the best signal.

I know the simplest answer is "whatever sounds best", but I find it impossible to make that determination based on back and forth testing. I would rather know what TECHNICALLY is the best rather make myself nuts going back and forth (where my mind definitely plays tricks on me!!)

Thanks for an input and guidance you can provide!

May 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #5,127 of 12,283
Related to the current discussion about cables, I have a question. I am feeding my Yggy as follows: Roon => Raspberry Pi + Hifiberry Digi+ Pro Coax => Neutrik NADITBNC-M Coax to AES/EBU converter (75Ω -> 110Ω) => Balanced cable into AES/EBU input of my Yggy.

Is doing the conversion from coax to aes/ebu actually buying me anything? Sure, I am using the preferred input on the Yggy, but is it false comfort, since I am not really directly feeding it a balanced signal? Since I am doing the conversion with the Neutrik but starting as SE coax, would my results be the same just going into the coax input on the Yggy (or possibly better since I would remove the converter and a cable from the signal path)? I have much to learn! I just want to feed my new Yggy the best signal.

I know the simplest answer is "whatever sounds best", but I find it impossible to make that determination based on back and forth testing. I would rather know what TECHNICALLY is the best rather make myself nuts going back and forth (where my mind definitely plays tricks on me!!)

i don't have a yggy, but don't see how the conversion would be buying you anything. since the signal has gone through a coax cable, i would think you've lost the advantages of aes/ebu at that point. since you can't hear the difference, i'd just take the coax from the digi+ directly to the yggy.

May 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #5,128 of 12,283

My 2¢
I am of the school that goes for the simpler the set up, the better.
So if there aren't ANY differences then I'd opt for SPDIF directly into the Jggy.

But technically AES is a 'Better' means of digital audio signal delivery.
But your setup, using a impedance matching transformer, isn't a 'true' AES source, so it's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison.

JJ

May 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #5,129 of 12,283
My 2¢
I am of the school that goes for the simpler the set up, the better.
So if there aren't ANY differences then I'd opt for SPDIF directly into the Jggy.

But technically AES is a 'Better' means of digital audio signal delivery.
But your setup, using a impedance matching transformer, isn't a 'true' AES source, so it's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison.

JJ
Yeah, that is what I figured :frowning2: The only question is if the Yggy simply does things better with the AES input, regardless of how it got there, or if, using the transformer "drops" the quality of the signal so that any gain by using the AES input is lost. ???

May 17, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #5,130 of 12,283
Yeah, that is what I figured :frowning2: The only question is if the Yggy simply does things better with the AES input, regardless of how it got there, or if, using the transformer "drops" the quality of the signal so that any gain by using the AES input is lost. ???
It's not just the input to the Jggy but the entire digital transport chain that results in 'better' SQ.

The lone aspect of single ended vs balanced signal delivery alone is significant.
And just because the output from the matching transformer is balanced doesn't negate the single ended source that feeds that transformer.
And of course there are other differences in terms of the circuitry that drives the output to feed the Jggy as well.

So yeah you can mimic the balanced and impedance matched feed to the Jggy but that isn't the same as an AES circuit that actually drives the AES input.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back