Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 8, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #3,136 of 12,406
This should be a nice step up from the Bifrost MB which I enjoy immensely. I will be pairing it for now with Lyr 2 and some very nice tubes.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #3,137 of 12,406
I remember when I was first researching the Yggdrasil, I read some post about someone becoming a fan after hearing someone play a Dokken CD through it. The post said something about it taking the recording and turning it into something captivating and great sounding, something like that. Can't wait to hear one. Their site says they're back ordered, but evidently they are in stock?

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #3,138 of 12,406
Yes they certainly seem to be in stock. I should know for sure tomorrow 
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,140 of 12,406
Listening to the Jotunheim recently, I came to that same conclusion. Their new amplifier is so revealing of the source.
Yggdrasil is significantly different from Gugnir Multibit, when feeding into a resolving output path.

Is resolution the biggest difference?
That's what people have said was the biggest difference between them & otherwise they are nearly identical.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #3,141 of 12,406
That's what people have said was the biggest difference between them & otherwise they are nearly identical.

Resolution, weight of the instruments if you will? We did a comparison a while back, when a local person was interested to compare the two DACs. We compared the two using a full-size speaker system. And the weight of the instruments was notably different, from the very first note that hit. Perhaps this is more to dynamics are bigger on the Yggdrasil.

The thing that kept me from using Yggdrasil full time was just how the Schiit DACs effect me - it's a psychological, emotional attachment to the musical sense of what's going on. If the music is sad, you feel sad. If the music is happy and upbeat, you feel inclined to dance. I have since gotten used to this, and wanting more of the emotional attachment, which I feel when listening to the Yggdrasil. It's there too with the Gumby, but not to the same depth.

But in terms of things I think we can all hear and appreciate - weight, dynamics, and resolution.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #3,142 of 12,406

Listening to the Jotunheim recently, I came to that same conclusion. Their new amplifier is so revealing of the source.
Yggdrasil is significantly different from Gugnir Multibit, when feeding into a resolving output path.

With live-mic'd recordings the Yggy reveals the environment around the musicians better than any DAC I have experienced. This is the biggest difference for me.

It isn't just resolution – I've heard plenty of hyper-accurate DACs that provide razor-sharp trebles. Sheldaze's notion of 'weight' sounds right to me. The Yggy delivers resolution with exceptional clarity, and properly proportioned weight, if you will – linearity, I suppose.

I think it's their digital filter that's responsible for this magic. Anyone who has played with up-sampling knows the audible pitfalls one can encounter: loss of low-end, and overly-sharp and crunchy high end. I find it amazing to remember that the Yggy takes everything up to 352/384 kHz but the result is all upside.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #3,143 of 12,406

With live-mic'd recordings the Yggy reveals the environment around the musicians better than any DAC I have experienced. This is the biggest difference for me.

It isn't just resolution – I've heard plenty of hyper-accurate DACs that provide razor-sharp trebles. Sheldaze's notion of 'weight' sounds right to me. The Yggy delivers resolution with exceptional clarity, and properly proportioned weight, if you will – linearity, I suppose.

I think it's their digital filter that's responsible for this magic. Anyone who has played with up-sampling knows the audible pitfalls one can encounter: loss of low-end, and overly-sharp and crunchy high end. I find it amazing to remember that the Yggy takes everything up to 352/384 kHz but the result is all upside.

Indeed it is the filter for most of it - the minimal buffer analog and the choke input filter for the bass.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 8, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #3,144 of 12,406

True story. I'm amazed at how the whole Multibit range accurately portrays room decay and positioning. It's tremendous.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #3,145 of 12,406
I am the owner of 2 Gungnir MB dacs working in 2 separate systems. I had heard that the Gungnir MB was 80 percent of the Yggdrasil so I thought I would spend the money in the hopes the upgrade would be worth it. I was able to find a good deal in Canada on a used Yggdrasil.

One word  comes to mind upon replacing the Gungnir MB with the Yggdrasil are: WOW.

I was not expecting that much of a difference.  I cant put a number on how much better the Yggdrasil is over the Gungnir MB but it is huge in my system. I can't be happier. It have made me take my system to a new level. All music sounds better not just red book.

Saving for a second one.

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL300
Preamp: Modwright ls36.5
Amps: Parasound A21 &A31
Receiver: Denon 4520

Great info! I'm in the same boat:). My Yggy arrives tomorrow to replace my current MB Gumby also running a Parasound A21 amp. Can't wait!

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #3,147 of 12,406
Yggy arrived and has just started warming up.
I have already enjoyed Desafinado by Si Zentner and so much more.
I have trouble resolving any improvement over the Bimby but I am sure that will change over the coming hours and days.

:)

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #3,149 of 12,406
Bass is impressive and a couple of things have been flying around that I don't remember hearing before. Resolution is really good already. Tone seems to be improving throughout the day. 

Treble is better tamed, this is definitely not fatiguing.

Also any hum I was getting from the Lyr 2 seems to be almost non-existant now. 

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #3,150 of 12,406
Bass is impressive and a couple of things have been flying around that I don't remember hearing before. Resolution is really good already. Tone seems to be improving throughout the day. 

Treble is better tamed, this is definitely not fatiguing.

Also any hum I was getting from the Lyr 2 seems to be almost non-existant now. 

Please continue to update us as the sound changes. Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back