Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 16, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,116 of 12,398

A few days ago I cancelled my order for a [COLOR=6A6A6A]Yaggdrasil and ordered a Gustard [/COLOR]DAC-X20U instead. I hope I didn't make a mistake by doing this. However, I always have my Gungnir MB to fall back on. Has anyone made a comparison between the Yaggdrasil and the Gustard X20?

Judging from your post count, I suspect a troll....This can't possibly happen.

Ok. Sorry then. Can you send the Gustard back?

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,118 of 12,398
Are you kidding me? This is how you respond to everyone who doesn't agree with your DAC ideology? BTW I have a Gustard X20, Schiit Yggydrasil and a Gungnir multibit and a few others. The Gustard in my large system is the better DAC. The Gustard excels in detail resolution and creation of the recorded space. I could happily live with the Yggydrasil if I didn't have the Gustard but I keep it in my headphone rig. YMMV.

Judging from your post count, I suspect a troll....This can't possibly happen.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #2,119 of 12,398
Are you kidding me? This is how you respond to everyone who doesn't agree with your DAC ideology? BTW I have a Gustard X20, Schiit Yggydrasil and a Gungnir multibit and a few others. The Gustard in my large system is the better DAC. The Gustard excels in detail resolution and creation of the recorded space. I could happily live with the Yggydrasil if I didn't have the Gustard but I keep it in my headphone rig. YMMV.

YMMV, you may prefer a dual Sabre Delta Sigma based DAC. 

It's all subjective, but thanks for giving us your impressions. Some people prefer Chord DACs as well... at least Gustard offers competitive pricing.

I'd like to see some measurements with the Gustard X20/X20U and compare with the Multibit measurements. It would be interesting to see what their actual resolution is... since you know, they're using the tested and true 32 bit Sabre chips, which we all know don't actually perform at 32bit resolution, after everything is said and done.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2,120 of 12,398
I could really care less how any DAC measures, I base my impressions on how they sound. The Gustard sounds better to me and I am happy. YMMV

It's all subjective, but thanks for giving us your impressions. Some people prefer Chord DACs as well... at least Gustard offers competitive pricing.

I'd like to see some measurements with the Gustard X20/X20U and compare with the Multibit measurements. It would be interesting to see what their actual resolution is... since you know, they're using the tested and true 32 bit Sabre chips, which we all know don't actually perform at 32bit resolution, after everything is said and done.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #2,121 of 12,398
I could really care less how any DAC measures, I base my impressions on how they sound. The Gustard sounds better to me and I am happy. YMMV

I think most of us live by the same philosophy... in the case of resolution, I think those measurements correlate directly with the ability of the DAC to retrieve (and present) the musical information.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,122 of 12,398
If that is the case then the Gustard is retrieving Eva Cassidy's presence in my living room much better than the Yggydrasil does. She just started her concert in my living room.

I think most of us live by the same philosophy... in the case of resolution, I think those measurements correlate directly with the ability of the DAC to retrieve (and present) the musical information.

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #2,123 of 12,398
Hello All,
Just wanted to comment on the MP3 vs. uncompressed discussion, which I think is interesting.

My primary source is a Mac that has both MP3 (in iTunes) and uncompressed (in JRiver) files on it.  I maintain the iTunes to feed the home Sonos system for casual listening.  The JRiver is used as my primary source for high-res HP listening.

What I discovered, and found interesting, is that when I choose to play an MP3 or Apple AAC file through JRiver, I find the SQ to be quite good. Not as good as the uncompressed 16/44 (or higher res) files, but not bad either.  The SQ is better than I remember before I installed JRiver on the Mac.  

All in all, IMHO, the music SQ will always depend primarily on the quality of the original recording.  If the master tapes were engineered well, the sound will be good even if compressed.

Cheers -
RCB

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,124 of 12,398
In my experience,  the main difference between compressed and uncompressed:
Compressed doesn't add any artifacts, noise, or anything bad on top of uncompressed.

The main difference is something is missing, instead of addition:
1. The highs lost final touch of 'glory' or 'shine'.    
(this actually make some bad recording more listenable.   I see in some A/B tests amateurs listeners actually preferred compressed instead of original)
2. The lows lost some transparency and quality.
3. Overall lost some feeling of being there.

Quote:
  Hello All,
Just wanted to comment on the MP3 vs. uncompressed discussion, which I think is interesting.
My primary source is a Mac that has both MP3 (in iTunes) and uncompressed (in JRiver) files on it.  I maintain the iTunes to feed the home Sonos system for casual listening.  The JRiver is used as my primary source for high-res HP listening.
What I discovered, and found interesting, is that when I choose to play an MP3 or Apple AAC file through JRiver, I find the SQ to be quite good. Not as good as the uncompressed 16/44 (or higher res) files, but not bad either.  The SQ is better than I remember before I installed JRiver on the Mac.  
All in all, IMHO, the music SQ will always depend primarily on the quality of the original recording.  If the master tapes were engineered well, the sound will be good even if compressed.
Cheers -
RCB

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,125 of 12,398
My understanding about MP3's is they were meant for portable players back when storage space was at a premium, so in order to accommodate as many songs as possible they reduced the file size using the MP3 compression scheme.

I have a few MP3's in the higher bit rates and they aren't anywhere near as 'artificial' sounding as their lower bit rate cousins, some of which are actually quite bad.
I can hear artifacts and spurious noises that seem to be 'triggered' by attacks and fast transients which are very annoying.

And these days when I can buy a 4TB hybrid drive for $129, storage space is not an issue, so for me MP3's are unnecessary and unwanted.

JJ

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,127 of 12,398
  A few days ago I cancelled my order for a Yaggdrasil and ordered a Gustard DAC-X20U instead. I hope I didn't make a mistake by doing this. However, I always have my Gungnir MB to fall back on. Has anyone made a comparison between the Yaggdrasil and the Gustard X20?

You made a BIG mistake.......    
blink.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #2,128 of 12,398

If that is the case then the Gustard is retrieving Eva Cassidy's presence in my living room much better than the Yggydrasil does. She just started her concert in my living room.

I think nc42ACC has NOT left his YGGY on all the time, but switches it on only when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back