Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 18, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,891 of 12,321
galvanic isolation:

Anyone know for sure if Yggy is galvanically isolated, and if
not anyone concerned?   Reason I ask is there are some
usb regenerators, reclockers, decrapifiers etc. etc. that
tout galvanic isolation; supposedly less noise.  I dread the
cost and mental fatigue of auditioning these products.
If Yggy is not galvanically isolated the Norse god's probably
had their reasons.

Are you asking if the USB input has galvanic isolation? I don't think so.

The input draws current, as my iPhone with CCK will not drive it directly. Needs a hub or a Regen in my case to drive it.

Have you checked the Schiit Yggy FAQ or Specs pages?

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,892 of 12,321
  galvanic isolation:

had their reasons.

I used usb-over-fiop (adnaco usb3) to get rid of galvanic noise (5V from a stand alone power supply).  Worked but kinda pricey.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,893 of 12,321
thanks, I used to be professionally interested in USB Isolation and that's new to me, at ~$400 adnaco is not too bad http://www.amazon.com/Adnaco-S3B-Fiber-Optic-Extension-System/dp/B00CC8NNPC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41vWUmvc0wL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=06CF1HN594YYM129YBAF 

but yes, 480 Mb USB Isolation used to be uncommon, is still pricey

for "audiophile pricey" context; I believe the earlier mentioned Vampire is ~$600 just for TOS cable, no electronics

I did look into the cheaper Corning USB option - it appears that they actually run copper with their FO cable to power the far end - quite a waste for those wanting isolation

the Wyrd also lacks Isolation - with a odd claim about the "impossibility" - yes there are no single chip 480 Mb solutions but I designed a High Speed USB 2.0 instrument with Galvanic Isolation using ADmu isolators on the byte parallel interface of the USB receiver chip nearing a decade ago now  http://www.analog.com/en/products/interface-isolation/isolation/standard-digital-isolators.html#digital-isolators

the 90 Mb parts are fine for USB 2.0 480 Mbaud when used in a byte wide parallel interface

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,895 of 12,321
  galvanic isolation:

had their reasons.

No current Schiit USB socket is currently galvanically isolated.  My experience with galvanic isolation is that it is expensive.  Current galvanic isolation solutions can cost in the $500-nearly $2000 range.  That sort of price/performance ratio is out of the Schiit model.  Also, optical solutions can add significant amounts of jitter, degrading performance.  Little is off the digital R&D table at Schiit, but these are difficult factors to overcome.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,896 of 12,321
Not much cheaper is the wifi Micro IUSB3.0 which is galvanically isolated and separates power from signal.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/

US$399 list.  I have the 2.0 version on my MacPro-Gumby USB connection and I can hear an audible difference, or lack there of which means I hear less.  The music sharpens up against a blacker background.  Or something like that.

Bruce

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,897 of 12,321
Not sure if I've posted about it here yet, but I'm with Mike that the best input is the coax S/PDIF. Even with a Schiit Wyrd and the iUSB 3 I feel the built-in USB produces a sound that is harder-sounding. I have an overdue-for-review streamer here (Soundaware) and the coax out of that hands-down flogs the crap out of every USB combination I've tried. Even the Audiophilleo 1 with Pure Power. The closest I could get to matching the Soundaware (as the UI of it is a PITA to use) is this horrendously expensive combination:

Raspberry PI running Linux > iUSB 3 (using a transformer with similar specs to the optional expensive iFi one) > Audiophilleo 1. 

I understand now why many people would make a big deal about expensive CD transports. 

I have the latest Audio-gd Digital Interface on the way as I'm taking a bet, from past experience, that it might synergise well. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #1,898 of 12,321
  Raspberry PI running Linux > iUSB 3 (using a transformer with similar specs to the optional expensive iFi one) > Audiophilleo 1. 

I've been using Ethernet (UPnP/DLNA) > SOtM sMS-100 (USB) > Bel Canto mLInk > S/PDIF coax (Nordost Blue Haven) > DAC (Bifrost MB). On my speaker system I use CuBox-i2eX+Volumio instead of the sMS-100. This lower-cost option cost roughly $500 ($100 for CuBox, $250 for mLink, $150 for cable). Note that this adds several network streaming options (of which I use only UPnP/DLNA). I've not done extensive comparisons, but adding mLink+cable seemed to clean some rough edges on the mid-upper range in both chains. If you don't want to mess around with setting up and configuring CuBox+Volumio, Sonore now sells Sonicorbiter SE for which is similar hardware with a linear power supply and pre-installed (comparable but less buggy) software for around $300. I've just got one of those to try out this weekend.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #1,900 of 12,321
  Not sure if I've posted about it here yet, but I'm with Mike that the best input is the coax S/PDIF. Even with a Schiit Wyrd and the iUSB 3 I feel the built-in USB produces a sound that is harder-sounding. I have an overdue-for-review streamer here (Soundaware) and the coax out of that hands-down flogs the crap out of every USB combination I've tried. Even the Audiophilleo 1 with Pure Power. The closest I could get to matching the Soundaware (as the UI of it is a PITA to use) is this horrendously expensive combination:

I understand now why many people would make a big deal about expensive CD transports. 

I have the latest Audio-gd Digital Interface on the way as I'm taking a bet, from past experience, that it might synergise well. 

I also find SPDIF better than USB, but sound is louder from SPDIF (does anyone know why ?)...it may induce some bias.

Ali

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,901 of 12,321
had windows 10 issues with the yggy where my pc didn't want to shut down properly because the dac was always powered. I added the wyrd in the combo and it's fixed now :). Why do all schiit products have very bright leds tho
confused.gif

Otherwise nice sound difference with my violectric v800

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,902 of 12,321
  I have said it before and I'll say it again..... Yggy is all kinds of resolving (READ: transparent as all getup).
It DOES NOT hide your source components in the least. If the source gear isn't up to snuff - you'll hear it through the Yggy for sure...

Funny you should mention that. Here's a similar anecdote direct from Schiit HQ:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/2655#post_11350361
"Interesting anecdote (warning: subjective information incoming, not statistically significant, blah blah). However, it is relevant to the discussion about noise-shaping in general.

Dave, one of our engineers, and in general the firmware guru, was recently discussing Bifrost and Yggdrasil with Mike and I, shortly after the 0.99 Yggys were complete.

"I always ran Bifrost with 24/96 input, upsampled by my Mac," Dave said, "Because it sounded best to me that way. But with Yggy, I always run the native sample rate and bit depth...because you can hear what the computer upsampling is doing. Yuck."

Again, just one anecdote, YMMV, we make crap gear anyway, woof woof. But I did think it was interesting."

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #1,903 of 12,321

Hi Amos

Are you referring to DI-U8? If so, I am very much interested to know the performance of this one. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,904 of 12,321
  galvanic isolation:

had their reasons.

If you want to clean up your computer noise once and for all and reduce jitter to the absolute minimum you need to get a ultra low noise linear power supply for your mac mini.

I have the Joules V from mojo audio.  Comparing this source with a mackbook pro using the same cables, dac, amp. and headphones is day and night.  The "wyrd" helps a little bit to my ears- but it is making up for problems and errors after the fact and that way of dealing with things has limitations.  I recommend dealing with the noise and jitter at the source- your PC.  Start your signal as pure as possible from step one rather than trying to fix later on in the chain.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,905 of 12,321
  so the dac is not analog sounding and natural? how can this be a good thing?

It is hard to explain.  The yggy digs deep into the music and digs up incredible detail.  This type of detail is just not normal in other DAC’s.  It is a much more clinical crisper sound rather than a rounder sound although it is NOT harsh in spite of this.  Now I have noticed I can round things out quite a bit using Audrovana.  In that case I do get a much more analogue flavor.

Please do not misunderstand me.   The dac is not analogue sounding in itself.  It is raw and pure and clinical to my ears (on day 10 of my warm up).  It is like a clean sheet of paper which you can draw on as you wish.  However, Amarra from Playlist and Audrovana do add a rounded analogue sound on this clean sheet of paper.  i-tunes is the rawest and least analogue of all of them with fidelia adding only a slight amount of analogue flavor.  So the dac CAN sound analogue- it just depends on how it is colored.  Of course a tube amp. or your headphones can and will add favor as well should you choose such equipment.

Now- the characteristics of these media players are the same regardless of which dac is used.  The difference with the yggy is it’s a cleaner, purer, rawer surface to color on resulting in a purer result.  Every other dac I ever heard started out rounded already and you the listener are beginning your journey on an already colored piece of paper.  The yggy’s starting point is more honest than any dac I ever heard and therefore the differences between the media players is accentuated.  Sorry for any misunderstanding from my comment before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back