Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
May 25, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #661 of 938
Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #663 of 938
Alternate Vali 3 munitions: IMG_8124.jpeg Conscribed for use (singly): IMG_8125.jpeg ☑️
I think I have some Sylvania 6189's in the stash. Not sure of the date. They worth pulling out?

May 25, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #664 of 938
I think I have some Sylvania 6189's in the stash. Not sure of the date. They worth pulling out?
I do have 6189s ... and have the 'yellow print, long plate' 12AU7 (as marked on tube). I have not tried 6189s yet.

EDIT: Corrected for myopic error 🤦‍♂️ !!

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #666 of 938
I don't have 6189s ... but do have the 'yellow print, long plate' 12AU7 (as marked)🤷🏻‍♂️.
My bust. Saw the 6189 on the boxes and didn't read further to the 12AU7WA.

1716651379101.png

I do have some of the 6189's, though not sure of the date as they're in white boxes. I suppose I could decipher the silkscreened code, but that would require effort. :laughing:

Also found some 5963's, although they may not be optimum for Vali 3 as the recommended plate voltage for a Class A amplifier application is 67v. Might should try them in Vali 2!

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #667 of 938
How would you compare the sound of the 63NP-DR vs the GE 5670 5-STAR?
Which has more bass? I'm new to tube rolling, and I'm not really hearing any sonic differences between the stock tube and the GE 5670 5-STAR tube.
At first, I thought I heard more bottom end, but after a few minutes, it sounded the same as the stock tube. Makes me think that any differences are so minor that brain burn-in cancels them out within minutes.
At the end of the day, I have to defer to my own ears, and might not need to go down the tube-rolling path and just enjoy the Vali 3 and my headphones.
I haven't yet tried the GE 5670 5-STAR yet but do have them in my wish list. In my case, with the 6N3P tube I got stock with my Vali, there was a jarring difference with 22 hours on it versus 1 hour (of mainly warm up time) when I swapped in the 6N3P-DR and listened. To my ear, there was more bass extension, more presence, and more depth to the soundstage. With over 50 hours on the DR now, it just elevates the listening experience with all of my headphones and IEM. I do plan on swapping the stock tube back in at some point to see what differences (if any) are still present but as of right now, this is my "S" tier tube. I have also said "bye bye" to my Magni Heretic (sold), it was great but the Vali 3 converted me. I still plan to try other tubes, just for S&G's to see what (if any) differences there are, but also because it's my OCD nature to tinker and experiment. 🥼

I do agree though that having a critical listen using your own ears, while perhaps using sources such as this as a rough guide, is key. At the end of the day, it's all about how you perceive what you are hearing and what gels with what your preference is, enjoying the music along the way as you said. 🎶

May 25, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #668 of 938
My bust. Saw the 6189 on the boxes and didn't read further to the 12AU7WA.

1716651379101.png

I do have some of the 6189's, though not sure of the date as they're in white boxes. I suppose I could decipher the silkscreened code, but that would require effort. :laughing:

Also found some 5963's, although they may not be optimum for Vali 3 as the recommended plate voltage for a Class A amplifier application is 67v. Might should try them in Vali 2!
.... oops! I may need new 👀 !

May 26, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #669 of 938
I have what might be a minority opinion but perhaps it might be of value to someone who just got a vali 3.

To me most tubes in vali 3 (and vali 2+, and 2++) sound nearly identical. Can I hear the difference? Maybe. I would not swear to it. Maybe I can identify some in a blind AB test, and maybe I could not. I do have some favorite ones, but it can easily be placebo.

gs2WVSp.jpeg

The tubes pictured are:
396A and 6N3P-DR (currently switched between)
native: 6N3P-E Reflector 1977 Mill Diamond, GE 5670 5 star, RCA 5670 Command
with adapters: 6CG7 RCA Clear Top, 6SN7 RCA 1943 Grey Glass, german ECC84,
Amprex E88CC PQ 1966, Mullard ECC88.

May 26, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #671 of 938
I could hear a change when I went from the Vali 2++ to the Vali 3 with my WE396A tube. It took a good tube and made it sound better. If you can't tell a difference, that's ok. It's your ears and that's how you hear things.
Very possible. There are for sure people who have proven they can hear minute differences in tubes and equipment. That said I did attend school to study music when I was younger. My medical exams have not yet shown hearing loss, and when I try those online tests for sound distortion I do get a standard divination or so above the mean.

Im not saying that those differences don’t exist, I’m merely suggesting that a lot of people might want to lower their expectations, the differences are small among good tubes.

And personally while I think I hear the difference I would not bet money that I would pass a blind AB test.

Edit: also full disclosure 80% of the music I listen to is baroque (Lully, Bach, Handel), so it’s possible my choice of music effects results. And the headphones I usually use are 6xx or Meze 109 pros, maybe that has effect as well.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #672 of 938
I have what might be a minority opinion but perhaps it might be of value to someone who just got a vali 3.

To me most tubes in vali 3 (and vali 2+, and 2++) sound nearly identical. Can I hear the difference? Maybe. I would not swear to it. Maybe I can identify some in a blind AB test, and maybe I could not. I do have some favorite ones, but it can easily be placebo.

gs2WVSp.jpeg

The tubes pictured are:
396A and 6N3P-DR (currently switched between)
native: 6N3P-E Reflector 1977 Mill Diamond, GE 5670 5 star, RCA 5670 Command
with adapters: 6CG7 RCA Clear Top, 6SN7 RCA 1943 Grey Glass, german ECC84,
Amprex E88CC PQ 1966, Mullard ECC88. You are totally correct for you and your system. However, it may help new Vali 3 owners if you included that info. Appreciate the feedback!
Thanks for the feedback! It may be helpful to new Vali 3 owners if we knew ...What is your 1) source 2) dac 3) Headphone?

Thanks

May 26, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #673 of 938
The Vali 3 was just the right addition in my setup. My Motu M4 audio interface is currently being used as the DAC and the ESS ES9016S chip it is using is quite neutral and uncolored, as interface DAC's should be. When I had my Magni Heretic as my headphone amp, it sounded worlds better than the built-in headphone amp in the M4...the latter having minimal power to drive anything but the most efficient headphones but probably most IEM's. Although good, it was still quite neutral and resolving.

Since I don't EQ, and maybe someday I will, I wanted to introduce some warm to my setup. Enter the Vali 3. Aside from the different tube signatures which I will leave up to the user's listening impressions for hearing sound differences, the Vali 3 package is just what I was looking for and added that tinge of warmth and "tube magic" to make my setup complete (for now). I plan to still roll tubes, but maybe a different tube every year...figure that's a good ratio of cost/enjoyment of each.

My 2 cents for those new to the world of tube amps/preamps reading this, just try the Vali 3 (or another of your choosing, though this is a great value for starters) and see how it sounds to you. If you like it enough to keep it, then I would say to try rolling in a different tube and take some time to see if you can make out any difference with your own ears. I'd also give the tubes around 50+ hours to settle in, though some might take longer to reach their full "maturity". The main thing, as anyone here will tell you, is just enjoy the music and have fun with the hobby. :notes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back