Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #378 of 510
Awwwhhh damn! It is going to be a fun afternoon evening. I will let you guys know how they sound.

If you loosen the middle screw a bit there is actually a bit of wire wiggle room.

Then you can rotate it a bit to orient it to line up with amp.

So those of us who's picky about things lining up will die a little bit less inside LOL.

BEFORE:

PXL_20230413_025928906.jpg

AFTER:

PXL_20230415_000503925.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #379 of 510
If you loosen the middle screw a bit there is actually a bit of wire wiggle room.

So those of us who's picky about things lining up will die a little bit less inside LOL.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Then you have the @Deyan adapters which can be swiveled ~ 90 degrees ...
IMG_7812.jpeg

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #381 of 510

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Yep, i know about that, just have not taken the time to make the adjustment.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #387 of 510
Tube rolling seemed like a fun experiement so I ordered a NOS 1964 GE JG-5670WA for $25. From my understanding, this is a more rugged version of the popular GE JAN 5670W.

I used a Tascam recorder to record a 1khz tone through the Vali's pre-amp out then run the recording through a spectrum analyzer (I used Spek). On low gain, I maxed out the Vali's volume. I then switched to high gain and reduced the Vali's volume to level match the output to what it was on low gain. I did this with the GE and the stock tube. (DAC is a JDS Atom DAC)

Volume maxed out on low gain, there is barely a difference. I see a 2khz spike at around -95 db. On high gain though there is a more obvious difference. The GE tube has more distortion.

Subjectively I like the stock tube more. It's hard to describe, but the stock tube sounds more immersive. It's easier to kick back and get lost in the music with the stock tube.

My conclusion is that the stock tube is pretty damn good. I'm going to stick with it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #389 of 510
Now the stock tube, high gain. You'll notice some -110db purple "waviness" around the test tone compared to the GE tube. Ignore that, as I took this recording before the tube was warmed up. Once warm, that "waviness" goes away.
Stock tube, high gain, volume matched to low gain.JPG

And the GE tube, high gain
GE tube, high gain, volume matched to low gain.JPG

Edit: by @Hofy suggestion, I popped the GE tube back in, let it warm up some, and re-tested distortion. Looks like the distortion spikes at 3khz and above diminished, and the 2khz spike is now a little stronger.
ge tube high gain 2.png

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #390 of 510
Tube rolling seemed like a fun experiement so I ordered a NOS 1964 GE JG-5670WA for $25. From my understanding, this is a more rugged version of the popular GE JAN 5670W.

I used a Tascam recorder to record a 1khz tone through the Vali's pre-amp out then run the recording through a spectrum analyzer (I used Spek). On low gain, I maxed out the Vali's volume. I then switched to high gain and reduced the Vali's volume to level match the output to what it was on low gain. I did this with the GE and the stock tube. (DAC is a JDS Atom DAC)

Volume maxed out on low gain, there is barely a difference. I see a 2khz spike at around -95 db. On high gain though there is a more obvious difference. The GE tube has more distortion.

Subjectively I like the stock tube more. It's hard to describe, but the stock tube sounds more immersive. It's easier to kick back and get lost in the music with the stock tube.

My conclusion is that the stock tube is pretty damn good. I'm going to stick with it.
Put about 50 hours through the NOS and then listen to it again, with music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back