Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #16 of 306
Just thought I’d give the Vega a blast.....holy crap
8DA7E4BD-923D-4E2C-BFAB-FA15DD564840.jpeg

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 306
I've had the same stock tubes for many years now. Is it worth getting new ones?
Thats something I would like to know as I'm new to this valve game, mine hasn't got too many hours on them at the moment but they will in time and it would be good to know for when the time comes. I am also thinking of using it for a pre-amp for my hi-fi and getting the Woo Audio WA2 that I have seen on sale for £550.00 need to find out if thats a good price. i'm just waiting to hear back on how old it is and how many hours its done. i'm really enjoying my entrance into the valve amp world via the Valhalla 2

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 306
@Neobenedict , @KEV G and folks, hope all is well!

I am quite new to tube myself as well but from what I have noticed so far, I would probably not invest hundreds and hundreds of dollars/pounds/euros/etc in a single pair of tubes.... I believe the benefits might be there but I would probably need to change my speakers and / or headphones first... and actually invest in newer amps/dac prior to notice relevant changes in tubes...

I’m using JJ E88cc as an upgrade from the stocks.. good bang for the buck... might try gold lions at one point. I don’t see myself going any further with tubes though...

Planning on eventually bringing the solid state amp to the bedroom and getting a tube amp and use the valhalla 2 as preamp for my main listening station though.

of course, just my 2 cents! in the end of the day, it all comes to the fun! if the stock ones and “cheaper” tubes are ok.... i’d stick to them... :) and i would save the money for something else... :)

cheers!

Jul 18, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #20 of 306
Hi I bought a Schiit Valhalla 2 for a beyerdynamic T1.2, but I use the loop function too. My Dac is an Ayre QB9 and my pre amp is the MF X-Pre, there is a cable from the Valhalla 2 pre out to the line in of the MF X-Pre. So now I have 2 tube pre amps before I use a power amp. The sound now is extra tuby, warmer, but I like it a lot. I have to use high gain, for the best result. Happy even before buying the T1.2. Best wishes Yoram

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #22 of 306
I’ve just purchased the Valhalla 2 to replace my Vali 2 and I’m really excited to experience the difference
Welcome to the club!
I have been using the Valhalla 2 for a while... I love it and I don't have any plans to replace it anytime soon...
I love it even as my preamp, feeding a tube amplifier...

Tube rolling is interesting as well... I think the stock tubes are pretty good tho.

Currently, my favorite is the Mullard 12at7.

Stay safe! Happy Holidays!

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #25 of 306
Hmmmm, not sure why... But I've been using mine for a few years now.... And I am super happy...
Not planning on any changes any time soon...
My to go tube has been the NOS Mullard CV4024/12AT7 :) with a grado GS1000i and feeding a power amp...

What kind of music do you listen?

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #26 of 306
Hmmmm, not sure why... But I've been using mine for a few years now.... And I am super happy...
Not planning on any changes any time soon...
My to go tube has been the NOS Mullard CV4024/12AT7 :) with a grado GS1000i and feeding a power amp...

What kind of music do you listen?

Everything but techno and classical, although been thinking about getiting into it! But yea my collection spans pretty much every genre and I keep up with modern music and bands.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #27 of 306
Cool. I must confess the Valhalla 2 has been my first headphone amp... so my opinion is quite biased... :) it's been a good journey and I also listen to all styles/genres...
If you're into "rock/metal", there's a few musicians/bands that merge "classical" with "rock"... Apocalyptica play Metallica tunes with cellos... Yngwie Malmsteen has an album with guitars & full fledge orchestra... Savatage/Trans-Siberian Orchestra is another cool mix...

I guess the speakers/headphones play the biggest role, tho. I believe those are the most important pieces of the puzzle... :) I think the amp (or preamp), they only help "fine tune" the sound... and if the "speakers / headphones" can't keep up, I think we'd be wasting time & money... :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #30 of 306
Yeah I'd like to hear how this compares to a woo audio firefly
Can't speak to the WA, but I can tell you that Valhalla 2 is relatively linear - not super thick & tubey, just a bit warmer & softer around the edges than solid state, and quite holographic with the right tubes. V2's special trick is its super low impedance [on low gain], a rarity for OTL amps. This means it works with a wider variety of headphones than most OTL tube amps. Note that you can only roll the input tubes, the output tubes are not equivalent to any other tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back