Schiit Urd Impressions thread
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #61 of 84
I've held off on posting a follow up as I don't want to give the appearance of being your typical forum complainer.

on 2/13 Schiit kindly shipped me a replacement Urd (after I purchased and tried 6 different USB cables). The replacement arrived and worked PERFECTLY... <yay>

until... about 6hrs later when it stopped passing audio :-/

The CD was spinning happily, the track clock progressing second by second, the USB output logo is solid as it should be, the AES cable is also connected so that I had an alternate output to compare against USB, the Yggy shows it has sync with the player on both outputs (obviously one at a time) ... no audio, nothing....

If I power down the Urd, power the Urd back on, audio is playing happily, and all is well.

We've been through this cycle twice now to confirm and I'm calling it quits on the Urd and will request a refund. Either I have horrendous luck (quite possible) or this device has some bugs yet to be worked out.

<EDIT> for any future readers who are curious, AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cables worked just fine.
I would contact Support and explain the problem. The fact that you had problems before can be a system interaction or not. I would solve the issue. Urd is that good.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #62 of 84
I would contact Support and explain the problem. The fact that you had problems before can be a system interaction or not. I would solve the issue. Urd is that good.
I have, and Lindsey at Schiit has been very helpful.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #64 of 84
Keep us posted on the outcome, whatever happens.
I'm curious, are you using USB out? and do you leave it powered on fulltime?

I have it running right now via AES out, to see if the same thing happens.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #65 of 84
I'm sorry you experience this.
I doubt the issue is the URD.
The Unison USB card with in the DAC is the issue.
It is okay to ignore me, since I am a typical forum complainer over the issues related to USB Unison.
You have used other Unison USB sources with your yggy, and they have worked fine?
Once I had the Bifrost replaced, the Unison USB has worked perfectly.
I can now use USB from the Urd, and SPDIF from the ML31, into the Bifrost without music shutdown.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #66 of 84
I have used the USB input on the Yggy for a month with a DMP-A6 running around the clock without a hiccup.

I could rule it out by putting my Bifrost in place of the Yggy for a day and see what happens, thanks for the idea.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #67 of 84
I'm curious, are you using USB out? and do you leave it powered on fulltime?

I have it running right now via AES out, to see if the same thing happens.
I have used USB and AES. Both worked well. I have since chosen USB out and yes it is connected 24/7 to a Yggy+ OG. I would also try the basic cable Schiit recommends - the one I linked before.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #68 of 84
I have used USB and AES. Both worked well. I have since chosen USB out and yes it is connected 24/7 to a Yggy+ OG. I would also try the basic cable Schiit recommends - the one I linked before.
I do have that cable you linked, will put it in place now. (currently using AES output for a few hours to see if it repeats the same behavior)

The thing I'm hung up on, is that when the Urd stops sending music... it stops on all outputs but the one selected was USB.

Is it really THAT picky with cables? seems kind of crazy.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #70 of 84
I've concluded that it's not a USB cable problem, tried the generic one linked above and a Belkin. (in addition to the AudioQuest)

I let it play via AES last night, still stopped passing music to the Yggy, as soon as I power off/on the Urd everything resumes as expected. To be clear, the DAC is not losing sync with the Urd, the Yggy shows clock sync and the Urd shows proper, connected icons on its display... it's just that audio ceases until Urd is rebooted.

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #71 of 84
In addition to what you describe @markkr I have also had Urd go into a weird state where the channels became reversed. So audio stopped or has other glitches. Always easy to reset by either switching output USB > COAX > back to USB or just a short power cycle. But in my experience, the glitch occurs just once, usually a couple hours into a session (such as when I took Urd to a meet event a couple months ago) and does not repeat. But my use case is different from yours, such as a listening session over a weekend, glitch on a Friday, perfect playback for the remainder of the 3-4 days.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #72 of 84
Yeah, $1300 is too much for my comfort level when the device isn't near perfect <nothing is perfect>.

I returned the Urd, ordered another brand transport. Maybe I'll try again with version 2 but for now I'm happy with its replacement.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #73 of 84
Yeah, $1300 is too much for my comfort level when the device isn't near perfect <nothing is perfect>.

I returned the Urd, ordered another brand transport. Maybe I'll try again with version 2 but for now I'm happy with its replacement.
Which transport did you get? How does its sound quality compare to the Urd you had when it worked?

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #74 of 84
Which transport did you get? How does its sound quality compare to the Urd you had when it worked?
Cambridge CXCv2, I had both side by side... with the same CD in both, Urd on AES, CXCv2 on Coax into Yggy... I couldn't tell them apart and I tried for hours. I sincerely wanted to hear that the Urd was superior. I used my HEKse for treble resolution and DCA E3 for bass resolution... no difference heard. I'm a Schiithead and this CXC is out of place in my rack... but its half the price and it's not flakey so it will remain for now.

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #75 of 84
I don't post on here much but I'm on my 3rd URD and all of them have had the same issue. It just completely locks up and won't be responsive to anything. The first 2 only lasted about a week or so and this most recent one lasted about 6 months or so. Unfortunately I think I'm out of my refund window and just going to have to sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back