Schiit Syn Surround Processor Reviews/Impressions
Apr 26, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #16 of 117
Looking for a standalone high pass filter?

want to avoid an expensive full crossover rig, DSP etc.

Use case is maximising SPL per watt, while preventing distortion / damage of my OG passive LS50s, used as a front main pair

I believe Syn has low pass out - non-adjustable 80Hz - for the sub channel

So a cut off just below that would be great, adjustable even better.

outputting XLR pro line level voltages would be a plus

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 117
Looking for a standalone high pass filter?

want to avoid an expensive full crossover rig, DSP etc.

Use case is maximising SPL per watt, while preventing distortion / damage of my OG passive LS50s, used as a front main pair

I believe Syn has low pass out - non-adjustable 80Hz - for the sub channel

So a cut off just below that would be great, adjustable even better.

outputting XLR pro line level voltages would be a plus

Not sure if this is a question or if youre looking for other suggestions. The Syn does not do high pass filters on the mains (or the center/surround channels). Actually, I'd say one of its biggest selling points is that it doesn't touch the main channels at all if you turn off the shaping. Allows you to simply add surround channels to your existing stereo system. Wish I had a different recommendation for you, but I'm not too familiar with stand alone filter options.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 117
As good as the syn looks, it lacks certain important features that many receivers will have. For me, the biggest lack is not having any sort of per-output delay control. I use a MiniDSP flex for my actively crossed speakers, which have a bit of a delay in them that I can compensate for on-screen vocals through my TV settings. Adding a center channel / surrounds would not be optimal, since they would have sound coming in ~10-20ms sooner than the R/L channels. I could remove the FIR filters on the miniDSP, which would significantly reduce the delay, but that would not be optimal for me.

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 117
My Syn is ordered 🤗

May 3, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #21 of 117
wonder what happens to the audio if i use this as a dac-surround connected with my personal amp
And just hooking it up to 2 channel amp and speakers? Or are you planning on connecting more speakers to it?

May 4, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #23 of 117
I guess I don’t know what you mean. The amp will power passive speakers which you would take the main outputs from Syn and feed your amp that way. If you have a preamp, that could go before before Syn and possibly change the sound that way.

May 7, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #25 of 117
May 7, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #27 of 117
Thanks, so to confirm what I am reading in here and the manual, the Center and Subwoofer channels will be always on regardless of the modes?
I believe all of the extra channels can be lowered, except subwoofer, because external subwoofers generally have level controls already. Lowered includes “zero.”

May 8, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 117
Got my Syn today. Headphone amp is solid on it. Love the volume pot too. I just started playing with the width and presence alittle bit mainly with headphones. The DAC is ok, doesn’t really compare to my Bifrost 2/64, but that’s to be expected. I need to get more speakers hooked up to try the surround aspect of it. But so far so good as a preamp and headphone amp 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back