Schiit stack or internal sound card?
Mar 22, 2019 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mnunes

New Head-Fier
I currently have an ASUS Essence STX II in my PC and I'm using it for Hi-Fi music, movies and games (no 7.1 or dolby surround, don't like it). The headphones are the HD598 and the HD660S.

I've been looking at the Schiit Modi 3 and Magni 3 because I've always wanted to try out some external gear.

• Would there be any improvement of using this over the STX II?
  • Also, anyone who had/has the Creative AE-5 and could compare it with the STX II (drivers aside), and maybe the Schiit stack?

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 5
My first try would be at a amp only as you have this setup and haven’t noticed a bunch of noise. Magni 3 or JDS Labs Atom would be a good choice. Haven’t heard the Atom myself but it gets a lot of love here but did have the Magni 3 on loan and thought it was solid with the HD-6xx’s that I have.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Asus Generally the few i've heard seem to be more bass quality & quantity focused with a slight peak in the highs. I have not heard the STXII though but assume its simialr to there top end audio MB's & 600ohm dac/amp combo
In my opinion get the Schiit Stack or even o2+Odac. I personally prefered the ODac (Well actually its The Element but same dac chip) to the Modi with the HD660s.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Between my Xonar DG, Audioengine D3, and a fiio e10k Ive tried I don't think I would notice if you switched them on me. Whatever changes there are seem to be quite small and the reduction in noise from going external would be the biggest benefit if your experiencing it.

Don't expect a night and day difference and test it between the two and switch back and forth and decide if it's worth it or if you can notice a difference.

I love good quality sound but it's very subjective and testing it if it's possible is really the best way to go about it in this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back