Schiit Stack, O2/ODAC or Tube Amp+ (for HE-400's)?
Jun 1, 2013 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Muzika

Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm in the final phase of my research before I purchase my first decent set of kit - which will happen within the next couple of days. I've read lots of threads and reviews and received some awesome advice from Head-Fi so far. From this, I'm almost set on buying a pair of HD 650's HE-400's and now I'm just hoping to get some comments on the DAC and amp to accompany these 'phones.

It's going to be a desktop setup and my budget is about 400AUD for both the amp and the DAC.

I've been looking predominantly at the Schiit Modi/Magni and O2/ODAC.  With sound quality apparently being very similar with these two sets, my decision was pretty much going to be based on price (and perhaps cabling/aesthetics). More recently, however, someone has recommended I look at a tube amp. Can anyone comment on how a tube amp would likely compare to the M&M, or O2/ODAC set? If favourably, which models might you suggest I take a look at? Thanks

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 27
My one and only bump before I pull the trigger. I'm thinking I'll get the Schiit M&M stack because it's available in Australia (Melbourne, in fact). It'd be nice to have all of the gear before the end of this coming week.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 27
I am sure you will be pleased. I got to demo the HE-400s with my M and M stack.  They sounded great and could handle more volume than I could bear.  I have Ultrasone 900s which I use at work.  They easily drive those as well.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:
I am sure you will be pleased. I got to demo the HE-400s with my M and M stack.  They sounded great and could handle more volume than I could bear.  I have Ultrasone 900s which I use at work.  They easily drive those as well.

Thanks. Yeah I get the impression I'll be pleased with the M&M (+ HE-400) too. Just want to exhaust my research options in hope of getting the optimum purchase for my money...

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Thanks. Yeah I get the impression I'll be pleased with the M&M (+ HE-400) too. Just want to exhaust my research options in hope of getting the optimum purchase for my money...

as for the differences between the M&M vs the Objective pair, i wont comment. i own the objective pair, but have never heard the M&M. plus, theres atleast one thread where it was discussed widely - search for it using the forum search engine and youll find it easy - peasy.

now, ill qualify my words and mention that i have never used a tube amp, and dont know alot about it. but as far as i know, tube amps tend to have a very different sound than solid state amps. SS amps tend to be more on the neutral side, whereas tube amps tend to be on the warmer side. atleast that was my impression from my time on head-fi reading reviews and such. so you should ask yourself what kind of sound your interested in in order to make that decision.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:
as for the differences between the M&M vs the Objective pair, i wont comment. i own the objective pair, but have never heard the M&M. plus, theres atleast one thread where it was discussed widely - search for it using the forum search engine and youll find it easy - peasy.

now, ill qualify my words and mention that i have never used a tube amp, and dont know alot about it. but as far as i know, tube amps tend to have a very different sound than solid state amps. SS amps tend to be more on the neutral side, whereas tube amps tend to be on the warmer side. atleast that was my impression from my time on head-fi reading reviews and such. so you should ask yourself what kind of sound your interested in in order to make that decision.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did some searching on the forum for comparisons between the M&M and Objective pair and concluded they produced very similar for sound quality (as mentioned in my OP). Indeed, I basically read the same thing: tube amps have a warmer sound. I probably would like a warmer sound. I really just wanted to hear if anyone had any experience with the specific hardware I mentioned (M&M, Obj.), especially versus a HE-400 with a tube amp.

Anyhow, as I mentioned in my other thread, I purchased the following HP setup:

1. HE-400
  2. Velour pads
  3. Hard travel case
  4. Schiit Magni
  5. Schiit Modi
  6. Schiit PYST

Can't wait :)

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 27
A little off-topic, but I can really recommend getting the HE-500 silver cable for the HE-400. Got it for mine and it just improves sound clarity and stage. Some people mention it being over-bright or even harsh compared to the standard cable... I just cannot agree with them.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
A little off-topic, but I can really recommend getting the HE-500 silver cable for the HE-400. Got it for mine and it just improves sound clarity and stage. Some people mention it being over-bright or even harsh compared to the standard cable... I just cannot agree with them.

Not at all :) Happy to see it mentioned, actually. I'd read about this 'silver cable' a few times but never looked any deeper.

It looks interesting and it's good to hear your feedback on it. However, I must say I've spent enough right now and my kit which is coming will cane my old M50 with onboard, so I doubt I'll be thinking "Gee, this could really do with a silver cable", but it's something I'll keep in mind for my next upgrade.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 27
Glad to help in any way. :)

I just asked the shop owner whether he could include the cable with the HE-400. While he charged me for it, I didn't have to pay much (velour pads + cable for an extra 35 Euros) and I received the pleather pads + standard cable as well, so I can mix and match if I feel like it. 
Maybe you can contact the shop and ask about it?

Thinking about some Schiit gear as well at the moment (Über-Bifrost + Lyr, to be exact), so please let me know about the M&M combo. This could make my next purchase incredibly cheap...

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
Glad to help in any way. :)

I just asked the shop owner whether he could include the cable with the HE-400. While he charged me for it, I didn't have to pay much (velour pads + cable for an extra 35 Euros) and I received the pleather pads + standard cable as well, so I can mix and match if I feel like it. 
Maybe you can contact the shop and ask about it?

Thinking about some Schiit gear as well at the moment (Über-Bifrost + Lyr, to be exact), so please let me know about the M&M combo. This could make my next purchase incredibly cheap...

Sounds like an alright deal. I checked the store out of curiousity but they don't appear to stock the cable. Anyhow, I think I'll just settle with what I have for the moment. Ok, I'll let you know how I find the sound. Bear in mind I'm pretty new head-fi, so my knowledge and experience (and so, basis for analysis and comparison) is fairly limited.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 27
Fair enough, still curious. 
popcorn.gif

The shop I bought from didn't stock the cable itself, either. But they sold the HE-500 so I just asked. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

I upgraded my HD650 with a silver cable and didn't notice any improvement in sound.

Losless>VDAC II>WooAudio WA6 w/596+SE6SN7>HD650

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did some searching on the forum for comparisons between the M&M and Objective pair and concluded they produced very similar for sound quality (as mentioned in my OP). Indeed, I basically read the same thing: tube amps have a warmer sound. I probably would like a warmer sound. I really just wanted to hear if anyone had any experience with the specific hardware I mentioned (M&M, Obj.), especially versus a HE-400 with a tube amp.

Anyhow, as I mentioned in my other thread, I purchased the following HP setup:

1. HE-400
  2. Velour pads
  3. Hard travel case
  4. Schiit Magni
  5. Schiit Modi
  6. Schiit PYST

Can't wait :)

Just wanted to make a quick mention if you haven't seen it yet regarding the M&M plus PYST.  From what I've read and seen pictures of, when you connect the M&M with the PYST cable, put a rubber band over the bend to help with strain relief.  From what I've seen, the cable can actually slightly lift the magni off the modi with that cable...may not cause an issue but I'd be worried of putting that extra pressure on the rca jacks.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Just wanted to make a quick mention if you haven't seen it yet regarding the M&M plus PYST.  From what I've read and seen pictures of, when you connect the M&M with the PYST cable, put a rubber band over the bend to help with strain relief.  From what I've seen, the cable can actually slightly lift the magni off the modi with that cable...may not cause an issue but I'd be worried of putting that extra pressure on the rca jacks.

Ah! Thanks for the note, mate. Indeed, I'd like them to sit flush and not be unnecessarily strained so I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm setting it up (will probably be receiving all items today but may not get a listen 'til Friday night).

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

I upgraded my HD650 with a silver cable and didn't notice any improvement in sound.

Losless>VDAC II>WooAudio WA6 w/596+SE6SN7>HD650

Well, if you have a chance give the HE-400 or 500 a listen with both cables. I definitely notice a difference in sound. Improvement? Not so sure for everybody, but for me it is better. Bass impact is improved, it just sounds more detailed, mids are slightly improved, highs are very clear without sounding harsh. Nothing too dramatic and it certainly won't lift the 400 to the level of the 500 or anything, but I like the sound better with the 500 cable. Again, this is just me and your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back