Schiit or Little dot for AKG K702
Dec 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jono454

500+ Head-Fier
Currently i'm using a Fiio E9 with my AKG K702 and i really like this setup however since my christmas bonus just kicked in i have a little extra spending money so my question now is would investing in a Schiit asgard/valhalla or Little dot MK 1/2/ or 3 do any better than my Fiio E9. I'm not a basshead so i could care less about my K702 lacking bass.

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 10
The Fiio E9 has way more than enough power for the AKG K702 without having high distortion. I would expect very little returns from this investment. I would expect more out of either a new headphone or by improving your system with a DAC, if you're running it out straight out of a desktop's integrated audio.

Quote:
Currently i'm using a Fiio E9 with my AKG K702 and i really like this setup however since my christmas bonus just kicked in i have a little extra spending money so my question now is would investing in a Schiit asgard/valhalla or Little dot MK 1/2/ or 3 do any better than my Fiio E9. I'm not a basshead so i could care less about my K702 lacking bass.

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 10
The E9 actually drives the K702 better than the Asgard. I had the Asgard and hated it with the K702. At first it was OK, until I realized how bad it was when I got the E9.
I think Schiit makes another amp that should be a better match with the K702.

I actually upgraded from the E9 for the K702 to the Headroom Micro Amp. Felt the upgrade was worth every penny and it also played well with the HD-650 I had at the time. If you want to upgrade from the E9 to something that's fairly cheap, maybe look into the Matrix M-Stage. Normally I don't suggest products I haven't heard, but it'd supposed to be a very good match for the K702.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for all the help, will consider the Matrix M-stage =D

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 10
If you don't already have a DAC, get that first.  You will get more improvement from a DAC > E9 then getting a new amp but still amping your soundcard.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 10
AKG K702 + Lyr sounds very, very good.

I used Lyr with Valvo tubes, and the bass and details were wonderful :)

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
If you don't already have a DAC, get that first.  You will get more improvement from a DAC > E9 then getting a new amp but still amping your soundcard.

I noticed in your gear your using the fiio e10...if i recall that's a DAC right? Would that be a suitable option as a DAC?

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
AKG K702 + Lyr sounds very, very good.

I used Lyr with Valvo tubes, and the bass and details were wonderful :)

Thanks for the tip..i would definitely consider the Lyr however my wallet would hate me so much for doing so..maybe when i find a higher paying job i'll take the plunge.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I noticed in your gear your using the fiio e10...if i recall that's a DAC right? Would that be a suitable option as a DAC?

It's a DAC/Amp combo, but ya.  It would work and is one of the better ones in it's price bracket.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 10
The AKG/Lyr and AKG/Little Dot are both great combos.  I'm not sure how they sound in regards to your current setup as I've never heard the E9.

I would agree that a DAC would probably give you the biggest results with your setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back