Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jul 17, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #496 of 941
Modius now backordered and mine is now delayed despite being "ready to be shipped this week" and then "slight delay" and now "september" :thinking:

I get they've had parts shortages given Covid and whatnot but it sure would be great if either:

(a.) Schiit had their website ship dates right
If it says 1-3 days and you click order it ships in 1-3 days - do what your website says you're going to do

(b.) Schiit explained exactly what's going on

Ok, I get it, schiit happens; tell me exactly what and why - even customer service is "thanks so much, this week, very sorry, next week, now not next week, now not ready, now not sure". If you missed parts, got the wrong parts, screwed up, whatever just tell me, but the questions cloud and the lack of transparency is schiity.

I like the brand, I like the team, I like they're US made, I want to be loyal to reward that - but not-sure-maybe-no questions cloud is a little annoying

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #498 of 941
Modius now backordered and mine is now delayed despite being "ready to be shipped this week" and then "slight delay" and now "september" :thinking:

I get they've had parts shortages given Covid and whatnot but it sure would be great if either:

If it says 1-3 days and you click order it ships in 1-3 days - do what your website says you're going to do

Ok, I get it, schiit happens; tell me exactly what and why - even customer service is "thanks so much, this week, very sorry, next week, now not next week, now not ready, now not sure". If you missed parts, got the wrong parts, screwed up, whatever just tell me, but the questions cloud and the lack of transparency is schiity.

I like the brand, I like the team, I like they're US made, I want to be loyal to reward that - but not-sure-maybe-no questions cloud is a little annoying
Sounds very frustrating. I was thinking of getting one of these in a couple months time shipped to Australia, maybe I should order it now lol..

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #499 of 941

It is not September. Per the website, it's August 7. And we're shooting for the end of the month, actually.

I'll talk to customer service, they should not be providing dates in September.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #500 of 941
I got a night in with the schiit modius, I must say it is a little bit refreshing to hear something else beside the Chord Hugo 2, all I known is Chord lol.

from Chord Hugo 2 to Modius, I say its a little bit warmer, mids a little bit veil (or recessed, honestly it reminded me of the original chord hugo for some reason), Treble has a lot of air extension, not harsh, Sound stage is pretty big, Bass is a little bit more boomy but I'm nitpicking. No noise from PC/outlet via USB but I just moved to this fairly new apartment complex so their power might be a lot cleaner

I say its a cool starting DAC for those who start out, its not the most analytical nor is it revealing. For $200, I would probably say this is really good, I want to get a Violectric 850 but saw this and decided to try it out, not disappointed. Unit been left on all day, doesnt even get warm.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #501 of 941
This Schiit really is bananas!

Immediately replaced my iDSD Mirco in the desktop rig. I dunno, it sounds more "real" and full (iDSD sounds thin and analytical in comparison). Maybe I prefer the warmish sound of Modius with my T1.2. With LCD-2F, still great but can sound veiled and sometimes muddy with heavy distorted guitars. This is SE out btw. Haven't tried out balanced yet.
20200718_234600.jpg

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #502 of 941
It is not September. Per the website, it's August 7. And we're shooting for the end of the month, actually.

I'll talk to customer service, they should not be providing dates in September.
Awesome update: Just 3 days later my order has been shipped - Schiit follow-up was great and I remain a happy customer! Thanks Schiit!

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #503 of 941
Awesome update: Just 3 days later my order has been shipped - Schiit follow-up was great and I remain a happy customer! Thanks Schiit!
Mine as well. Ordered July 9 and got estimates as late and August 7. I got shipping notifications yesterday. I really hope I like it and that’s it sounds different or better than the multibit card I have in my Jotunheim. Otherwise it will get really expensive for me. I’ll probably have to pick up the bifrost 2.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #504 of 941
Mine as well. Ordered July 9 and got estimates as late and August 7. I got shipping notifications yesterday. I really hope I like it and that’s it sounds different or better than the multibit card I have in my Jotunheim. Otherwise it will get really expensive for me. I’ll probably have to pick up the bifrost 2.

unless you are using sensitive IEM's with your Jotunheim, you can also try changing the gain setting (turn volume down first, of course). if Modius doesn't sound to your liking, then there is the trade-up option within 15 days for Bifrost 2 (sorry for your wallet) or perhaps add a Loki Mini between Modius and Jotunheim.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #506 of 941
unless you are using sensitive IEM's with your Jotunheim, you can also try changing the gain setting (turn volume down first, of course). if Modius doesn't sound to your liking, then there is the trade-up option within 15 days for Bifrost 2 (sorry for your wallet) or perhaps add a Loki Mini between Modius and Jotunheim.
I also got AAA 789 and trying to see what set up I like best. Right now I’m using the pre out out of the Jotunheim to feed it. I’m already using high gain for the my arya and ether cx. Already like the sound of the 789 compared to the jot. It sounds more spacious and took some of the treble harshness that I get with the jot. I hope that Modius helps with that more.

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #508 of 941
Hi, finally received my Modius today after a two day delay from USPS! Anyway, I have to say that this is a great sounding DAC especially considering it is only $200!

I have had it powered on for a few hours connected to my THX789 and using my HD800s and Hifiman Aryas. I also have another THX789 that is connected to my Bifrost 2. I am using my PC/USB as my source using flac files as well as Tidal. I am also running the system balanced with the power adapter plugged in just because. I have not tried the RCA outs.

Like most have said, this is definitely one airy DAC. I am mostly a multibit is better type of guy. I have had quite a few DACS in the past including Modi, Mimby, SU8, Sdac balanced, topping D70 and like I said I currently have the Bifrost 2 as well as a topping D90. I do prefer the Bifrost 2 to the Modius because multibit just has that "weight" that makes everything more substantial and real sounding. These two DACS (IMHO) are not too disimilar in how they sound which speaks volumes to the Modius's sound quality. The fact that there is a $500 gulf between the two, I wouldn't be unhappy with the Modius alone, in fact I could buy a couple more and have a system in every room! Diminishing returns and all that. I did have a Jot in the past with the built in balanced 4490 DAC and didn't like that DAC at all. Dont like all in ones either, prefer seperates.

I also have not directly compared this to the Topping yet but considering I love my Bifrost 2 (and Modius) I will be probably selling that soon!
I was originally feeding the 789 from the balanced out of my jot. That setup sounded good to me. When I finally received and hooked up my Modius I noticed how much powerful the signal was that I had to go on medium from high gain and volume to about 8-9 o’clock from 12-1 with the old set up. Why do you think that is?
Also running Arya btw. Great sounding headphones. Is there a big enough jump to the bifrost 2?

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #509 of 941
I was originally feeding the 789 from the balanced out of my jot. That setup sounded good to me. When I finally received and hooked up my Modius I noticed how much powerful the signal was that I had to go on medium from high gain and volume to about 8-9 o’clock from 12-1 with the old set up. Why do you think that is?
Also running Arya btw. Great sounding headphones. Is there a big enough jump to the bifrost 2?

Sound-wise you probably shouldn't be running a headamp through a headamp - I've also got a Jot and anytime I've tried that it sounds like crap. Whether the BF2 will be a jump depends on your whole chain and what type of music you listen to in what formats (e.g., compressed dynamics pop or high-def binaural orchestral?). TBH, from the sounds of it, you likely wouldn't hear much of a difference.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #510 of 941
you were on high gain on the 789 at 12 oclock with an Arya? that sounds really loud. Probably because feeding it through the jot cut the volume. This is not really ideal as most amps expect line level inputs. Thats probably the difference youre hearding.

as far as the difference between the modius and the bf2, I keep both on my desk. BF2 for music, and modius for gaming. The modius for me is a perfect gaming dac as it rolls but preserves the highs in just the right way where I can hear everything without feeling like I have to go to deafening volume. The Modius is honestly a great DAC. I woudlnt recommend the Bifrost unless you really want that bit more detail, space, and it maybe has better extension high and low but I would be hard pressed to really call that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back