Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jul 9, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #451 of 941
Maybe I'm over-reading, but any danger in using both the USB power port, and USB input port? Anybody know?
I've been using both ports for over a week now, no issues of any kind. Doesn't get warmer or anything like that. Doesn't sound better either, as far as I can hear..

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #452 of 941
I too use both USB inputs and have no issues at all. It's not needed, but I had a spare spot on my power only USB hub so I figured why not.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #453 of 941
Hey EagleWings, the Modius manual seems to indicate that if both USB ports shouldn't be used at the same time:

Maybe I'm over-reading, but any danger in using both the USB power port, and USB input port? Anybody know?
The way the power works on the Modius is the same for the Fulla 2 in that if you are using USB for your digital input, you can use just the one USB port for power & data, however, if you are going to use a different digital input other than USB you need to connect the other USB port that is power only to the power brick and plug it in. the other USB port would not be needed in this scenario. As far as using both USB ports, once you plug in the power brick, the other USB port becomes a data only port and does not draw power at all because it is plugged in on the other port. Hope this helps.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #454 of 941
Will I be able to use both outputs at the same time? It is currently working for me, but I don't know if that will cause issues. I want to switch between my Massdrop LCX and CTH.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #458 of 941
Hey EagleWings, the Modius manual seems to indicate that if both USB ports shouldn't be used at the same time:

Yea, what they mean is, when using USB digital in, external power supply is not really necessary. But using one is not going to damage the device.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #459 of 941
Using both usb ports at the same time has no problems. If anything, it might help with the noise floor if your computer has noisy power. Using the power-only usb port will cause Modius to report as a 0 volt device and will only request the audio signal from the computer, not taking any power.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #461 of 941
Hello,
Has someone tested it with an external Linear Power Suply? Any improvements?
I currently onw a SMSL Su-8, how does it compares with the Modius?
I am thinking to replace the SU-8 with the Modius, but I am afraid it would be a sideways move!!!!
Thanks

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #462 of 941
Hello,
Has someone tested it with an external Linear Power Suply? Any improvements?
I currently onw a SMSL Su-8, how does it compares with the Modius?
I am thinking to replace the SU-8 with the Modius, but I am afraid it would be a sideways move!!!!
Thanks

I don't think an LPS would help due to the internal switcher, though since it's a standard usb 5v, a battery might be a fun experiment. There are also reports of improvements using the power adapter in the power port even if using USB data input; also someone who claimed improvements using the power adapter into the USB data input port while using other ports for the actual data input.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #463 of 941
I don't think an LPS would help due to the internal switcher, though since it's a standard usb 5v, a battery might be a fun experiment. There are also reports of improvements using the power adapter in the power port even if using USB data input; also someone who claimed improvements using the power adapter into the USB data input port while using other ports for the actual data input.
Do you think using the powered USB ports on a power strip could help? I've read that powered hub should provide cleaner power than a computer.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #464 of 941
Do you think using the powered USB ports on a power strip could help? I've read that powered hub should provide cleaner power than a computer.
This kind of depends. I have two, one powered hub from the computer, and one power only hub. The powered hub from the computer is very noisy, the power only hub is dead silent. It's an Anker power only hub, I'm using that into the power port on the modius, as I have in the past with out USB powered audio gear and it's great.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #465 of 941
This kind of depends. I have two, one powered hub from the computer, and one power only hub. The powered hub from the computer is very noisy, the power only hub is dead silent. It's an Anker power only hub, I'm using that into the power port on the modius, as I have in the past with out USB powered audio gear and it's great.
Good to know. I have just plugged into my Surface Laptop until now. I have an Anker power strip with outlets and USB ports. Although, I will have to cover up that LED if I leave it powered all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back