Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #421 of 941
Many people like this coloration, but it doesn't mean it's a more accurate rendering of the recording than DS.

Ultimately isn't it always about whether we like the sound of what our system reproduces?

And what sounds 'right' to us is, I believe, largely influenced by what we have heard in the past and what sound we are familiar with.

I think of fidelity as accurately and completely reproducing the original performance - but there are so many factors involved in this from the original recording, mixing and mastering even BEFORE the reproduction that EVERYTHING is colored and deviates from the original, to a more or less degree. And a lot of music tracks never existed as a whole UNTIL they were compiled in the studio - which is a very different process than creating/performing live music.

Mixing and mastering purposely changes the sound to something the engineer/artist finds pleasing... Whether WE find it pleasing is another question :)

If we define fidelity only in terms of reproducing the recording - how do we compare that if we haven't heard it on the exact same equipment and environment?

For me, I try to find equipment that reproduces the tone, timbre and timing of natural acoustic instruments... Which is my only true point of reference, and even that is an approximation.

I reason that if my system reproduces this in a way that sounds natural and real to me, that it is also reproducing other recordings/sounds with similar 'accuracy'. .

So while the concept of 'fidelity' matters to me, in practice, this translates into 'sounds good to me'

That said, there is a lot of design and engineering that goes into 'faithfully' reproducing the data in the recording. And I'm a believer that frequency and timing are critical components of this and that schiits multibit line more 'accurately' reproduces the original analog signal compared to the DS approach.

But I get plenty of enjoyment form DS designs too... And they can represent great value.

I think the modius was the design that Mike said sounds way better than it should and he mostly thinks DS 'sounds like ass' :)

So at the end of the day, I agree. Find something that sounds good to YOU and enjoy the music!

By nearly all accounts the modius sounds great and represents a phenomenal value.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #422 of 941
Ultimately isn't it always about whether we like the sound of what our system reproduces?

For the majority of users, including you and me, yes. But for that 1% of the audio world population chasing the last 1-5% of audio improvement who will drop $30,000 on an SACD player, they want the sound as uncolored as possible. They want the concert to sound like it actually did in the concert hall. It's much easier to color the sound to your liking for cheap than it is to get it as uncolored as possible. It's a trip of quickly diminishing returns, but people with means can do as they wish.

We're getting off topic and it's my fault.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #423 of 941
For the majority of users, including you and me, yes. But for that 1% of the audio world population chasing the last 1-5% of audio improvement who will drop $30,000 on an SACD player, they want the sound as uncolored as possible. They want the concert to sound like it actually did in the concert hall. It's much easier to color the sound to your liking for cheap than it is to get it as uncolored as possible. It's a trip of quickly diminishing returns, but people with means can do as they wish.

We're getting off topic and it's my fault.

Nah, just mention Modius in your post and all good! 😂

Seriously, though, I do think these types of interchanges can be helpful in reaching gear decisions - at least they help me.

I decided to go with BF2 as I value some of the subtle differences, but it isn't orders of magnitude more expensive! And I hit that diminishing returns point WELL below one gets to that fourth zero... And usually the 3rd :)

I may get a modius for my office setup as it is getting such great feedback too...

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #424 of 941
Nah, just mention Modius in your post and all good! 😂

Seriously, though, I do think these types of interchanges can be helpful in reaching gear decisions - at least they help me.

I decided to go with BF2 as I value some of the subtle differences, but it isn't orders of magnitude more expensive! And I hit that diminishing returns point WELL below one gets to that fourth zero... And usually the 3rd :)

I may get a modius for my office setup as it is getting such great feedback too...

I’m super happy with Modius. It’s a wonderful bargain and high performer.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #425 of 941
I have the Modius and the RME ADI2 DAC FS, and the given the difference in price, you'd expect there to be a significant advantage with the RME, and in my opinion, this is not the case. The Modius is impressive. I have paired both with my Lake People G111 and while I feel the RME pairs better with the G111, it's so subtle I'm considering selling my RME sometime soon.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #426 of 941
I have the Modius and the RME ADI2 DAC FS, and the given the difference in price, you'd expect there to be a significant advantage with the RME, and in my opinion, this is not the case. The Modius is impressive. I have paired both with my Lake People G111 and while I feel the RME pairs better with the G111, it's so subtle I'm considering selling my RME sometime soon.

Very nice. The Modius is an extremely good value. Have you had a chance to check out the Bifrost 2?

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #427 of 941
Very nice. The Modius is an extremely good value. Have you had a chance to check out the Bifrost 2?
I haven't but it is on my list, although if I do sell the RME I'm looking to replace it with a soekris.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #428 of 941
Ive also read that modulus compares favorably sound wise to adi2, but of course doesn't have all the same features

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #429 of 941

My guess would be that most people getting the ADI2 do so for the flexibility it provides, not just the sound output.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #430 of 941
My Modius, apart from sounding utterly brilliant, has developed a small issue I'm not sure how to fix..

I am using USB for my PC, Toslink for my STB and SPDIF for my CD-transport..

When I cycle through the input-modes it only selects the first two. USB and Toslink. The third time I press the input-button the second LED stays on, and there is no sound. The fourth time also nothing changes, second LED stays on, no sound (AES-EBU not used)... The fifth time it's USB again. Basically I only have two active inputs. I've disconnected the SPDIF, powered down the Modius, but no effect.
Worked fine up until this afternoon..

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #431 of 941
My Modius, apart from sounding utterly brilliant, has developed a small issue I'm not sure how to fix..

I am using USB for my PC, Toslink for my STB and SPDIF for my CD-transport..

When I cycle through the input-modes it only selects the first two. USB and Toslink. The third time I press the input-button the second LED stays on, and there is no sound. The fourth time also nothing changes, second LED stays on, no sound (AES-EBU not used)... The fifth time it's USB again. Basically I only have two active inputs. I've disconnected the SPDIF, powered down the Modius, but no effect.
Worked fine up until this afternoon..

Any thoughts?
I’d say you need to contact Schiit customer service about that one.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #432 of 941
My guess would be that most people getting the ADI2 do so for the flexibility it provides, not just the sound output.
Definitely true. And while I do use some of its features, I think I can certainly do without.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #433 of 941
Can’t seem to get my iPhone to connect and work with the Modius even with the camera dongle. Anyone else have an issue with connecting a phone or DAP to the modius?

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #434 of 941
nevermind, got it to work.
I have a faulty USB cable. Used the one supplied by Schiit and it started working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back