Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #301 of 941
Yep, you’re right. And I’m happy to be wrong and get educated while increasing my audio enjoyment. So no issues jumping headfirst into this, aside from the confusion. Cheers.

My suggestion if you only have the funds for modius, a modi / magni stack may be a better option at the same price. Or as suggested above, for a bit more you could go for an Asgard 3 with built in DAC. If you get the Asgard, you could always add modius later, fits same form factor.
Good luck!

Edit: obviously there are plenty of non-Schiit options as well, but this being a modius thread and all...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #302 of 941
My suggestion if you only have the funds for modius, a modi / magni stack may be a better option at the same price. Or as suggested above, for a bit more you could go for an Asgard 3 with built in DAC. If you get the Asgard, you could always add modius later, fits same form factor.
Good luck!
Thanks - I was planning on spending $500-600 over the next 2-3 months, so this just made me move faster, and I'll cut back over the next 2-3 months. This morning I bought the Drop+THX 789 to pair with the Modius, so on Sunday I'll have both and can play with both the SE and Balanced connections. I'm just curious about what Modius-specific paired Amp Schiit will come out with in the next while, and may upgrade that if it's materially different than the 789.

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #303 of 941
Lovely combo.

Attachments

• 1592581447111.jpg
    1592581447111.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #304 of 941
Thanks for your advice, as well as everyone else’s. It helps a lot. I’m not sure how long I’ll be waiting for Schiits updated balanced amp, or really how it would be different from the 789 or 887 so to get the balanced impact now I ordered a 789 and maybe that will do it all for me.
One observation: I find it confounding that I need an amp to listen to my IEMs with the Modius DAC, but many amps are too powerful to use with IEMs. So that eliminated a number of options, like the SMS. Anyways, not so much a complaint as an observation that this is how you get increasingly committed, like that lady who swallowed the spider.

The THX 789 is a great amp, so I certainly wouldn't feel bad buying it :). I personally think the Schiit Asgard 3 and the THX 789 are the solid state kings atm(though I must admit that Geshelli labs Erish also looks real interesting!). There might be other ss amps out there that outperform them, but not by much and they are all going to be far more expensive.

And yes finding an amp suitable for iems is really difficult, many of them have hiss or such bad volume pots that it is impossible to get a volume that doesn't make you deaf. Make sure you have the thx on the lowest gain setting and watch the volume if you running it balanced, the higher gain settings will blow up your ears!

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #305 of 941
Yep, you’re right. And I’m happy to be wrong and get educated while increasing my audio enjoyment. So no issues jumping headfirst into this, aside from the confusion. Cheers.
We're all ignorant, it only depends on the subject. Humility can make this world right again.

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #306 of 941
Hello everyone,

I would like to get some advice here. I'm using Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound card for my pc and i plan to upgrade to external. My main entertainmemt for pc is listening to music and movie.

At the momenet, i connect to my SoundBar via optical out from my sound card.

i'm very new to this hobby and i would like to get some opinion which dac or amp or anything is require ?

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #307 of 941
Good luck!

Edit: obviously there are plenty of non-Schiit options as well, but this being a modius thread and all...
I'm curius, have you listened to a Modius?

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #308 of 941
Good luck!

These seem like two different solutions to two different problems. A balanced dac, vs an entry level dac/amp stack. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #309 of 941
The THX 789 is a great amp, so I certainly wouldn't feel bad buying it :). I personally think the Schiit Asgard 3 and the THX 789 are the solid state kings atm(though I must admit that Geshelli labs Erish also looks real interesting!). There might be other ss amps out there that outperform them, but not by much and they are all going to be far more expensive.

And yes finding an amp suitable for iems is really difficult, many of them have hiss or such bad volume pots that it is impossible to get a volume that doesn't make you deaf. Make sure you have the thx on the lowest gain setting and watch the volume if you running it balanced, the higher gain settings will blow up your ears!
I use the Modius balanced out into a Jot balanced out to a Drop/JVC iem to good effect. Low gain and very careful with the volume knob! No hiss or channel imbalance.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #311 of 941
No. Maybe I’m confused, but I thought his original question was about connecting headphones directly to a Modius, which is why I gave a suggestion of a couple DAC/amp combos.
Ah, yeah. It was a confusing question for sure. I had to re read it to understand what exactly was being asked

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #312 of 941
i'm very new to this hobby and i would like to get some opinion which dac or amp or anything is require ?

Hello!

If you’re posting in this thread, I assume you are interested in the Schiit Modius DAC to replace your Sound Blaster; if that is not the case, you would likely be better served starting a brand new thread to seek advice.

What is your budget? Do you plan on using headphones as well, or just the sound bar? If yes, what headphones? Do you have a preference in terms of sound signature?

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #313 of 941
Hello!

If you’re posting in this thread, I assume you are interested in the Schiit Modius DAC to replace your Sound Blaster; if that is not the case, you would likely be better served starting a brand new thread to seek advice.

What is your budget? Do you plan on using headphones as well, or just the sound bar? If yes, what headphones? Do you have a preference in terms of sound signature?

Budget is around 500 to 600. Aside from sound bar, i will use it together with my upcoming Sennheiser HD800S.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #314 of 941
If you purchase the Modius, which is a standalone DAC, you will need a dedicate amp as well. I do not know the HD800S so I’m unable to comment on how well it would synergize with them, but the Asgard 3 would be a solid choice.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #315 of 941
If you purchase the Modius, which is a standalone DAC, you will need a dedicate amp as well. I do not know the HD800S so I’m unable to comment on how well it would synergize with them, but the Asgard 3 would be a solid choice.

i saw Asgard only have input and pre-out, how i going to connect to my pc and my soundbar?
At the momenr, my sound card is connected to soundbar via optical out

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back