Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 18, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #287 of 941
Do you have a Modius too while waiting for the BF2? I have the Modius but I liked the upgrade so much coming from the Modi that I figured I should take it a step further and just get the Bifrost. Hopefully, I'll be done with DACs after that.
Yeah, I did the reverse. While I was waiting for the BF2 they released this little monster

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #288 of 941
I’ve been on the list for maybe a month now. Was stoked to see the modius come through, makes the wait a lot easier.

I’ve heard only very good things. I think I’ll be handing onto the modius as well though, as it holds its own and really made the treble tolerable on the thx789.

Are you connecting with XLR inputs with the 789? I have the modius coming to compare with my modi 3, not sure if I should might as well do XLR since I'm able to. I actually ordered the asgard 3 as well because I wanted to see if it sounds warm but also more dynamic than the 789 like some people said. I sort of feel like the 789 is too sharp in the treble

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #289 of 941
Fully immersed. I haven't listened to music this much in ages. Sounds fantastic. Can't wait for Schiit's new balanced headamp to pair with the Modius. Anxious to try balanced out.

20200618_043210.jpg

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #290 of 941
Are you connecting with XLR inputs with the 789? I have the modius coming to compare with my modi 3, not sure if I should might as well do XLR since I'm able to. I actually ordered the asgard 3 as well because I wanted to see if it sounds warm but also more dynamic than the 789 like some people said. I sort of feel like the 789 is too sharp in the treble
Yup, this is XLR all the way through and it sounds amazing. Handles the treble much better off the modius vs my modi3, or ADI2, or M300. Those other DACs always sounded overly sharp, I don’t get that problem through the modius for whatever reason.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #291 of 941
Yup, this is XLR all the way through and it sounds amazing. Handles the treble much better off the modius vs my modi3, or ADI2, or M300. Those other DACs always sounded overly sharp, I don’t get that problem through the modius for whatever reason.
Good to hear. Treble is where my Korg DS-DAC-100M beats my Modi 3.

The Modius is the DAC that I was looking, two days before it was available, when I decided to try the Topping D50s. I wanted RCA to feed my Asgard 2, and XLR to feed my Hafler HA15, but nothing appealed (i.e. great sound, low price). I've since moved the Hafler to my main system, but it's not getting a lot of action there, because I prefer loudspeakers to headphones. The decision on whether to move it back to the headphone station is up in the air. I am tempted. :wink:

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #292 of 941
I have what may be a very noob question(s), but I've done a lot of research to no real success. I'm new to audiophility as a hobby. I've used the 1More Triple Driver and some VModa Crossfade's in the office for years, and during the WFH era I decided to upgrade my game and got a USB DAC (Monoprice) which then evolved into adding a Tin T3 (too bright for me, I returned to Amazon), then a BL-03 (which I love) and now the Moondrop Starfields as my daily. I have a used HD6XX coming in next week to listen to an open back for the first time ever.

I am getting the Modius on Sunday for Father's Day, at which point I think I'll jump into big boy territory. But I've had time to get confused on how I will use it. I thought I would just plug my IEMs into the Modius like I would into the Monoprice Monolith, but the online manual doesn't have a place to plug my 3.5mm into. So I bought a 3.5-to-RCA adapter which I will plug into the SE port (I don't understand if that represents the 'input' or the 'output' of the DAC, even). I also bought a balanced XLR cable for the incoming HD6XX, so I can test the balanced output with that next week. I emailed Schiit support and they nicely explained I would really should get an amp. I expect just to plug this DAC into my laptop all day and listen to higher quality music and adjust volume that way.

My main question is - is there a way to listen to my Starfield IEMs through the DAC's balanced side? Not through SE (from which I'll go via the RCA adapter) but through the balanced side, which I've heard such good opinions on. I like IEMs in general, so I'd like to, if possible, listen to these Starfields from the balanced output to hear them in all their glory. Schiit warned me about damage if I tried to connect my IEMs to the balanced end, but they also said it was possible to do so. I can't find any 2pin-to-XLR cables or adapters, so I must be doing something wrong or impossible.

My goal is to maximize the utility and experiences out of the Modius on my first exploration into audiophilehood. I liked that this had both options, I just want to maximize my experience of both of those. I also want to avoid collecting multiple DACs (or amps), I want to focus on one path, for a while at least. I'd always planned to get an amp, and keep hearing that Schiit is going to release a Modius-equivalent amp soon (I asked but they wouldn't confirm or deny it existed), so I was waiting for that to drop, or just find a good deal on a THX amp or even a Liquid Platinum. But then I see that the SMSL SP200 is not a 'truly balanced' amp, so then I worry that it doesn't let me experience the full side of the balanced Modius side.

Anyways, my main question is whether I can listen to my Starfields through the Modius' balanced side, in any way. Secondarily, if I'm using this connected to my MacBook Air, do I really definitely need an amp right now to experience the DAC and IEMs properly? Thirdly, if I get an amp, do I need a "truly balanced" amp other than the SMSL SP200, which I figure will tide me over until the new Schiit amp drops. Appreciate any on-boarding help for this noob!

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #293 of 941
My main question is - is there a way to listen to my Starfield IEMs through the DAC's balanced side?

Balanced headphones is not really an accurate term as it has nothing to do with common noise rejection. It's just a voltage differential. Some argue there is no point to this with headphones. That's another debate for another time. However, it makes even less sense on high sensitivity, low impedance headphones, let alone IEMs.

If you really want to use the balanced connects from Modius, get an amp that accepts balanced signals but outputs into single end.

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #294 of 941
I have what may be a very noob question(s), but I've done a lot of research to no real success. I'm new to audiophility as a hobby. I've used the 1More Triple Driver and some VModa Crossfade's in the office for years, and during the WFH era I decided to upgrade my game and got a USB DAC (Monoprice) which then evolved into adding a Tin T3 (too bright for me, I returned to Amazon), then a BL-03 (which I love) and now the Moondrop Starfields as my daily. I have a used HD6XX coming in next week to listen to an open back for the first time ever.

I am getting the Modius on Sunday for Father's Day, at which point I think I'll jump into big boy territory. But I've had time to get confused on how I will use it. I thought I would just plug my IEMs into the Modius like I would into the Monoprice Monolith, but the online manual doesn't have a place to plug my 3.5mm into. So I bought a 3.5-to-RCA adapter which I will plug into the SE port (I don't understand if that represents the 'input' or the 'output' of the DAC, even). I also bought a balanced XLR cable for the incoming HD6XX, so I can test the balanced output with that next week. I emailed Schiit support and they nicely explained I would really should get an amp. I expect just to plug this DAC into my laptop all day and listen to higher quality music and adjust volume that way.

My main question is - is there a way to listen to my Starfield IEMs through the DAC's balanced side? Not through SE (from which I'll go via the RCA adapter) but through the balanced side, which I've heard such good opinions on. I like IEMs in general, so I'd like to, if possible, listen to these Starfields from the balanced output to hear them in all their glory. Schiit warned me about damage if I tried to connect my IEMs to the balanced end, but they also said it was possible to do so. I can't find any 2pin-to-XLR cables or adapters, so I must be doing something wrong or impossible.

My goal is to maximize the utility and experiences out of the Modius on my first exploration into audiophilehood. I liked that this had both options, I just want to maximize my experience of both of those. I also want to avoid collecting multiple DACs (or amps), I want to focus on one path, for a while at least. I'd always planned to get an amp, and keep hearing that Schiit is going to release a Modius-equivalent amp soon (I asked but they wouldn't confirm or deny it existed), so I was waiting for that to drop, or just find a good deal on a THX amp or even a Liquid Platinum. But then I see that the SMSL SP200 is not a 'truly balanced' amp, so then I worry that it doesn't let me experience the full side of the balanced Modius side.

Anyways, my main question is whether I can listen to my Starfields through the Modius' balanced side, in any way. Secondarily, if I'm using this connected to my MacBook Air, do I really definitely need an amp right now to experience the DAC and IEMs properly? Thirdly, if I get an amp, do I need a "truly balanced" amp other than the SMSL SP200, which I figure will tide me over until the new Schiit amp drops. Appreciate any on-boarding help for this noob!

You'll need to get an amp. For balanced you'll need to get a schiit jotunheim or one of the THX amps like the THX 789.

Really it's unneeded.. especially when you're using them for IEMs

EDIT: for clarification - going full balanced for IEMs

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #295 of 941

You really need to get a amp for either the se or xlr outputs, the outputs are not intended for being directly connected to earphones, for one thing they have a output impedance of 75 ohms which is very high. Your iems frequency response will likely be heavily effected by this and sound quite off.

In order to direct connect to the modius for balanced output you would need a balanced cable for your iems that terminates in dual xlr or something like 2.5mm and then an adapter to covert the dual XLRs to 2.5mm female. While you could do this, all of those things are quite expensive and you would still have the 75ohm output impedance issue, so it is just not worth it imo.

I would recommend just buying a magni to use SE until the balanced amp you want comes around. Magnis have high resale value, keep the box and things that come with it and you can sell it for 70-85 bucks very easily,so you won't be out much money when you get the balanced amp in the future.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #296 of 941
Wish I could have some time with this dac just for at least being able to recommend it to people based on my own experience. The Modi 3 is very meh, and the Bifrost 2 is capable of really transforming the sound but at a considerable price hike (which is 1000% justified... crazy good stuff), but Asgard 3 / Modius could very well be the new stack king for the more conservative people (money wise).

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #297 of 941
You really need to get a amp for either the se or xlr outputs, the outputs are not intended for being directly connected to earphones, for one thing they have a output impedance of 75 ohms which is very high. Your iems frequency response will likely be heavily effected by this and sound quite off.

I would recommend just buying a magni to use SE until the balanced amp you want comes around. Magnis have high resale value, keep the box and things that come with it and you can sell it for 70-85 bucks very easily,so you won't be out much money when you get the balanced amp in the future.

Thanks for your advice, as well as everyone else’s. It helps a lot. I’m not sure how long I’ll be waiting for Schiits updated balanced amp, or really how it would be different from the 789 or 887 so to get the balanced impact now I ordered a 789 and maybe that will do it all for me.
One observation: I find it confounding that I need an amp to listen to my IEMs with the Modius DAC, but many amps are too powerful to use with IEMs. So that eliminated a number of options, like the SMS. Anyways, not so much a complaint as an observation that this is how you get increasingly committed, like that lady who swallowed the spider.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #298 of 941
One observation: I find it confounding that I need an amp to listen to my IEMs with the Modius DAC, but many amps are too powerful to use with IEMs.

You're mixing and confusing technologies. Just the opposite of when people confused what a receiver was; an amp, a preamp, and a tuner, all in one box. Well, with the Modius; it's just the DAC. Separates again. It does not contain a head amp. It does not do volume control, all of which you need to use the Modius. There are DAC/Amp combos. Maybe that would serve you better? An Asgard, with a DAC card, or even a Fulla 3? Both are more do-it-all products, which the Modius isn't. It's a specialty item, that's designed to be only a DAC. Which allows the use of better products, along with it, which is the whole point of it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #299 of 941
You're mixing and confusing technologies. Just the opposite of when people confused what a receiver was; an amp, a preamp, and a tuner, all in one box. Well, with the Modius; it's just the DAC. Separates again. It does not contain a head amp. It does not do volume control, all of which you need to use the Modius. There are DAC/Amp combos. Maybe that would serve you better? An Asgard, with a DAC card, or even a Fulla 3? Both are more do-it-all products, which the Modius isn't. It's a specialty item, that's designed to be only a DAC. Which allows the use of better products, along with it, which is the whole point of it.

Good luck.
Yep, you’re right. And I’m happy to be wrong and get educated while increasing my audio enjoyment. So no issues jumping headfirst into this, aside from the confusion. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back