Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jul 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #841 of 870
I've had both a Modi 1 and Modi 2 fail in the exact same way. When the original Modi failed, it was out of warranty and I considered it a Fluke and replaced it with the Modi 2. However, this time my Modi 2 was in warranty, but Schiit hasn't responded to me in 2 weeks. I've tried both their webform and direct emails. Their website mentions that you should prefer email to phone, and I'm considering leaving a message on their answering machine now.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #842 of 870
I've had both a Modi 1 and Modi 2 fail in the exact same way. When the original Modi failed, it was out of warranty and I considered it a Fluke and replaced it with the Modi 2. However, this time my Modi 2 was in warranty, but Schiit hasn't responded to me in 2 weeks. I've tried both their webform and direct emails. Their website mentions that you should prefer email to phone, and I'm considering leaving a message on their answering machine now.
Please e-mail Amy@schiit.com and I will help you out . Thanks

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 1, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #843 of 870
My Modi 1 quit working last night. I have tried multiple different cables, different computers, and different OS's (linux and windows). The problem is clearly something with the USB receiver as in Linux it spits out a warning in dmesg and in windows it says device failed. The Modi is obviously out of warranty at this point. I'm thinking about opening it up and taking a look in and around the USB receiver. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for. I was thinking maybe a solder joint gone bad ... but any other suggestions that don't require an engineering degree to diagnosis would be appreciated.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #844 of 870
Yeah my Modi 1 also died a while back, but was fixed/replaced by Schiit under warranty... Any luck with yours?

Btw has anybody been experienced issues with Win10 where Modi needs to be unplugged and replugged a dozen times before it randomly is recognized and starts working again? Kinda wondering if it's dying again and I should be looking for a new DAC, or whether I should try to get a powered USB hub... (did the steps in schiits faq without it helping).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #845 of 870
Yeah my Modi 1 also died a while back, but was fixed/replaced by Schiit under warranty... Any luck with yours?

Btw has anybody been experienced issues with Win10 where Modi needs to be unplugged and replugged a dozen times before it randomly is recognized and starts working again? Kinda wondering if it's dying again and I should be looking for a new DAC, or whether I should try to get a powered USB hub... (did the steps in schiits faq without it helping).

No, that's apparently just how it is now with windows 10. There was a lot of discussion on that a few pages back. I just today got a Z370 motherboard with dedicated power, adjustable voltage USBs meant for DACs, so hopefully it will work on one of those ports. I was able to get mine working consistently by using a powered USB splitter before so I am pretty optimistic.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #846 of 870
Ha ok I didn't read that far back... Well that kinda blows, guess I'll also look for a hub... :\ Thanks!

It's really sad and stupid though that that MS can suck so bad and break USB devices. Even win7 and an Aune T1 at work which was working flawlessly for years also started sucking with the stops working and must reconnect bug... Re-plugging worked maybe a year or so, but since a couple days the replug stopped working and now it appears a computer restart is required, otherwise it detects teh Aune but there's no sound. Anyway, so stupid...

Again today this stupid Win10 took like a dozen replugs before it worked. Utter schiit! :angry:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #847 of 870
Well, tried the modi with the new Z370 motherboard. Doesn't even give a device failed error or anything like before. It's like I didn't even plug it in... Really sucks because the dedicated DAC USBs are the reason I bought this Gigabyte board. I guess this thing is going in the trash once and for all.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #848 of 870
I have a Schiit Stack, Modi 2 and Magni 3, and I love all about it. I wanted to use the ASIO driver for c-media cm6631a USB receiver, and found no clue about it. They had an ASIO driver in schiit's site. Now, it’s gone. Actually, it was not working when I planned using them. Not on my Win10 x64 PC. Where can I get the updated ASIO driver? The ASIO4ALL does not work, unless the recording is in 24/192!

Please don’t tell me that Schiit Modi 2 doesn't support ASIO. My Modi 2 is sitting idle and I had to buy another DAC which supports ASIO4ALL. Modi 2 doesn’t even support ASIO4ALL, it crackles all the way. The WASAPI has bit issues, which needs to changed for different bits.

Anyone could make KS, kernel streaming successful?

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #849 of 870
Well, tried the modi with the new Z370 motherboard. Doesn't even give a device failed error or anything like before. It's like I didn't even plug it in... Really sucks because the dedicated DAC USBs are the reason I bought this Gigabyte board. I guess this thing is going in the trash once and for all.
Why didn't you just buy a powered USB hub instead of a new mobo though? Doesn't that rThey're like 15-20$ and supposedly fix the issue no? Anyway, might be you have the same issue with the dozen replugs before it works... Yay... It only took 5 replugs before my modi was detected today... Woo...Hoo...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #852 of 870
Why didn't you just buy a powered USB hub instead of a new mobo though? Doesn't that rThey're like 15-20$ and supposedly fix the issue no? Anyway, might be you have the same issue with the dozen replugs before it works... Yay... It only took 5 replugs before my modi was detected today... Woo...Hoo...

I needed a new mobo anyway. I was deciding between a couple models and chose this one for the dedicated DAC USB. I also use my Mojo and my Meridian Explorer 2 from PC so I wanted the clean power. I was just expecting this to fix the issue with the modi so I could leave it permanently connected to my LDI+.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #853 of 870
Well, today I tried it again since I updated my BIOS and reinstalled windows, and it was detected immediately and fully functional. I still don't trust it since I thought it was working again about 3-4 times before, only to have windows stop recognizing it again.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #854 of 870
Bought a Modi 2 Uber and Magni 3 last week from the Schiit store in Newhall. Everything is working flawlessly on a Gigabyte Z170 MB even after multiple reboots.. The only issue I had was WASAPI would not work properly in Event Mode and needed the Modi drivers off of the Schiit site, even though Windows installed working drivers that saw 24/192. In Event Mode some FLAC's sounded horribly distorted, but would sound fine in Push Mode...after updating the drivers it works perfectly in Event.

Anyhow, fit and finish is flawless...no pot crackling or looseness. Very happy with the setup.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #855 of 870
Just to be clear the issue people are having seems to be only with the modi 1. So far it has been working flawlessly through the "DAC up" USB on my Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7. This is the longest it has functioned properly, I'll be really happy if I actually have a working modi again now. Even with the USB hub I was able to get it working with before, I never had 24 bit audio out of this, but I do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back