Schiit Modi USB DAC
Dec 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #586 of 870
  Try using another source, perhaps your laptop is the culprit.

Thanks for the advice. Seems to be ok on my work laptop. I also plugged it into my hub on my current laptop and it seemed to go away unless it's on for a while. I read another topic about something similar happening on another DAC, but I couldn't find it in my device manager. I'll keep messing with it though and see if I can get anywhere.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #587 of 870
  Thanks for the advice. Seems to be ok on my work laptop. I also plugged it into my hub on my current laptop and it seemed to go away unless it's on for a while. I read another topic about something similar happening on another DAC, but I couldn't find it in my device manager. I'll keep messing with it though and see if I can get anywhere.

The process of elimination, sounds gross doesn't it. I used to have a latency issue on another DAC/soundcard on a desktop PC that caused similar problems. I'm not sure if this can apply to a USB device. The free software tool I used to check latency can be found at the below link,
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #588 of 870
  The process of elimination, sounds gross doesn't it. I used to have a latency issue on another DAC/soundcard on a desktop PC that caused similar problems. I'm not sure if this can apply to a USB device. The free software tool I used to check latency can be found at the below link,
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff. I ran it, and it seemed to be fairly low (never peaked above 500us), and I didn't see any spikes when there was crackling. Then again, like you said it may not apply to a USB device. I'll keep experimenting and see if it happens elsewhere.

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #589 of 870
I am considering getting the new modi2 To pair with my headroom ultra micro amp , I already have the Dragonfly(1.2) and it sounds nice,but I am thinking maybe the modi will be an upgrade?   Or am I just getting fooled by the size ..:)
How is  the modi sound?  Is it more to the analytical/cold side ?  That's my personal preference.    Would you consider the modi an upgrade to the Dragonflly or just a sidegrade (or a downgrade maybe) ?

How does the magni combines with it ?  I really tempted to to get them both..look so perfect together LOL
But I don't think it can surpass the headroom ultra micro, only sound different. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #590 of 870
My Modi has been great the last two weeks but it just started doing that high pitch frequency scratchy sound and it even more noticeable when I move my mouse. 

I thought maybe my Little Dot may be the problem but I unplugged my Modi from the Little Dot and plugged in my Phono Pre-amp and the sound went completely away so I know it's the Modi.

I've tried different USB cables as well and that had no effect.

I had all my stuff by each other and decided to spread things on my desk so everything wasn't jammed together and once i plugged everything back in the Modi started the irritating sound. As I said, the last 2 weeks it was absolutely silent.

I also know it's not my USB ports being tempermental because the DAC in my Topping VX1 is silent too.

Any ideas?

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #591 of 870
  My Modi has been great the last two weeks but it just started doing that high pitch frequency scratchy sound and it even more noticeable when I move my mouse. 

I thought maybe my Little Dot may be the problem but I unplugged my Modi from the Little Dot and plugged in my Phono Pre-amp and the sound went completely away so I know it's the Modi.

I've tried different USB cables as well and that had no effect.

I had all my stuff by each other and decided to spread things on my desk so everything wasn't jammed together and once i plugged everything back in the Modi started the irritating sound. As I said, the last 2 weeks it was absolutely silent.

I also know it's not my USB ports being tempermental because the DAC in my Topping VX1 is silent too.

Any ideas?

Yeah... get in touch with Schiit customer service. That may be a hardware problem with the Modi.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #592 of 870
Did that before I posted here, so while I wait, is there anything else I should check? The only thing I did was move my speaker amp away from the cluster of stuff and zip tied a bunch of cables together, non of them being any cables connected to my to modi.

Other than that, just shortened cables on the surge protector by wrapping the cables on themselves and zip tied them, nothing i could imagine would cause the issue since it's coming directly from the computer.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #593 of 870
I don't understand the logic behind the modi 2 modes switching (normal vs expert).   If , on expert mode it can do up to 24/192, than why just not leaving it on expert mode all the time?  this way it can do all sample rates.
And that leads to the question, why not just build it with expert mode as the normal operation...why 2 modes?

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #595 of 870
  I don't understand the logic behind the modi 2 modes switching (normal vs expert).   If , on expert mode it can do up to 24/192, than why just not leaving it on expert mode all the time?  this way it can do all sample rates.
And that leads to the question, why not just build it with expert mode as the normal operation...why 2 modes?

This is what the Schiit website says:

So, you’re saying you plug this in and you’re ready to go?

Pretty much. In Standard Mode, Modi 2 can be used with virtually any Windows or Mac computer instantly recognizes Modi USB and requires no drivers, and many Linux distros that support USB Audio Standard 2.0 work just fine as well. It can also be used with iPhones, iPads, and Intel Chromebooks, as well as the Sony PS4. In Expert Mode, you’ll need to install drivers on Windows, because Windows is stuck in some weird time-warp where it's still 1997 and people are gaga over Office or something. Seriously, everything supports USB Audio Class 2, including stuff like Android phones, Linux, and Chromebooks. Microsoft, you look dumb here. Sorry. No other way to put it. And yes, this includes Windows 10. Argh.

It's my understanding that in order to play formats above 24/96 to 24/192 out of the Modi it must be in expert mode, normal mode only plays formats up to 24/96.

From the Schiit website:

Sample Rates/Bit Depths: 

Modi 2: 16/44.1 to 24/96, including 24/88.2, without Windows drivers, or up to 24/192 with Windows drivers (or using a Mac or Linux machine)
Modi 2 Uber: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB. 16/44.1 to 24/192 via Toslink* and Coax.
*Note: many optical transmitters cannot output 24/176 and 24/192 reliably

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #596 of 870

It's my understanding that in order to play formats above 24/96 to 24/192 out of the Modi it must be in expert mode, normal mode only plays formats up to 24/96.

Yes,I pretty much got it.  But why 2 modes AT ALL?  why not just built it with only "expert mode" so it will be able to convert all rates samples? ok,so it requires a driver install for windows..so what? you do it once and get it over with.
It's not that important..just out of curiosity.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #597 of 870
  Yes,I pretty much got it.  But why 2 modes AT ALL?  why not just built it with only "expert mode" so it will be able to convert all rates samples? ok,so it requires a driver install for windows..so what? you do it once and get it over with.

I see what your saying. Most people who are into headphone audio are perfectly capable of installing drivers. I guess they want to be able to say the DAC is plug and play. Audio drivers can cause problems on some systems depending on the configuration. Most of the time it isn't a problem.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #598 of 870

Perhaps for compatability with some devices. Not sure if the expert mode will work will all Android phones or tablets that are USB audio capable. Although I can attest that the Smasung Galaxy S3 Galaxy, Note3 and iPod Touch 5G work with the Bifrost Uber USB DAC which requires the same drivers when using with Windoze.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #600 of 870
  Does the modi 2 uber have a descrete analog stage like the bifrost or op amp like the basic modi 2 ?

All they say is, "It also has a more sophisticated analog section." Why not eamil the question to Schiit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back