Schiit Modi USB DAC
Dec 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #571 of 870
  You asked about a power cord, not a USB cable. I don't Schiit includes any audio or USB cables with their products. They only ship wall warts or power cords only when needed to fire up the goods.

Well, they're synonymous, insofar as the USB cable is required to power the device. The USB cable is needed to fire up the goods, so to speak.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #573 of 870

Well, they're synonymous, insofar as the USB cable is required to power the device. The USB cable is needed to fire up the goods, so to speak.

Nope, a power cable is not a USB cable. Unless you have USB cable with just two wires used for charging batteries/devices, which this is not. A power cable does not carry data. A USB Cable carries both, which is why it is not called a power cable. Enjoy your modi and forget about power cables.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #574 of 870
The USB Modi uses a standard USB A to B cable for both data and power, and it does not come with one.

Thank you.

Nope, a power cable is not a USB cable. Unless you have USB cable with just two wires used for charging batteries/devices, which this is not. A power cable does not carry data. A USB Cable carries both, which is why it is not called a power cable. Enjoy your modi and forget about power cables.

Clearly I was imprecise with my words. I was really just referring to "the cable required to get the thing running". I added "power" mainly to differentiate it from the RCA cables, but yes, I suppose "USB cable" would have been the more technically correct term. But anyway, Defiant has answered my question (that the cable, whatever nomenclature it may go by, does not come with it), so this issue is now happily resolved.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #576 of 870
  http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Aw yeah! Patience (or laziness) sometimes really pays off
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #579 of 870
are these new firmware and power supply incremental upgrades (on the Uber), or should I expect a major noticeable difference?

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #581 of 870
And where will the first version devices go, to the FS forum?

Sadly shipping and pp fees and so forth plus depreciation means i might net like 20 dollars from each or something. Better keep them around... The optical might end up with my mum's cable box, the usb will just join the ranks of "spare" usb dacs i seem to have accumulated.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #582 of 870
Sadly shipping and pp fees and so forth plus depreciation means i might net like 20 dollars from each or something. Better keep them around... The optical might end up with my mum's cable box, the usb will just join the ranks of "spare" usb dacs i seem to have accumulated.

I hear you, I've got my collection of electronics and headphones that don't see much use anymore as they've taken back seat to newer improved goodies.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #583 of 870
I've been using the Modi for a while, and I'm starting to hear some weird things now. Every now and then, the left channel makes this weird hissing sound that comes in two's, and sometimes I hear something on the right channel that sounds like an 8-bit Atari explosion or something. It didn't do that the first few months I've had it, and sadly I bought it used, so I don't have a warranty. Has this happened to any of you guys?
I'm using it with a Magni, Sennheiser HD650 and Dell laptop hooked up with USB/RCA cables from Schiit.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #584 of 870
  I've been using the Modi for a while, and I'm starting to hear some weird things now. Every now and then, the left channel makes this weird hissing sound that comes in two's, and sometimes I hear something on the right channel that sounds like an 8-bit Atari explosion or something. It didn't do that the first few months I've had it, and sadly I bought it used, so I don't have a warranty. Has this happened to any of you guys?
I'm using it with a Magni, Sennheiser HD650 and Dell laptop hooked up with USB/RCA cables from Schiit.

Try using another source, perhaps your laptop is the culprit.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #585 of 870
I currently have the HIFImediy U2 asynch USB DAC ->  https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/U2-DAC
it is based on the ES9023 chip.  dirty cheap and sounds not bad at all.    But I wonder if the modi 2 will be an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back