Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #856 of 870
Anyone have pops when a song changes to another song with a different sample rate? Schiit says it is normal and it is the muting relay. But some people say they don't have this issue.

It is annoying.

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #857 of 870
Anyone have pops when a song changes to another song with a different sample rate? Schiit says it is normal and it is the muting relay. But some people say they don't have this issue.

It is annoying.

I do not experience that with a Modi 2U. It happened on another manufacturer's DAC (when switching between tracks in multiples of 44.1 vs. 48 kHz), and they fixed that with a firmware update. It is very annoying and you should not accept it.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #858 of 870
I don't have that issue either.
Why didn't you just buy a powered USB hub instead of a new mobo though? Doesn't that rThey're like 15-20$ and supposedly fix the issue no? Anyway, might be you have the same issue with the dozen replugs before it works... Yay... It only took 5 replugs before my modi was detected today... Woo...Hoo...
Lately, I've been getting some static (random pops & cracks) and it started bothering me. I suspected the cable, so I switched the USB cable to a longer cable (10 foot?), and once it got detected, I instantly got 100x the static, constant unbearable cracking noise instead of a crack/pop every 15s. So I think my static issue is from a weaker/shittier front USB front port and/or USB cable which for some reason developed an issue...

So I finally bothered to look for my https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Brand-Saitek-Port-Mini/dp/B01MY7E1OF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533992499&sr=8-3&keywords=saitek+hub]Saitek USB hub[/url], thinking I'd plug it in the mobo USB slot instead of front, assuming that a 'powered?' usb hub would fix the plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/works! issue, but it didn't! When I plug the hub, win10 instantly detects the hub, but when I plug in the modi, I get the same schit, "USB device not recognized", about 5s after plugging the modi. So the hub basically does nothing.

Is this because the hub isn't 'powered'? What does it mean for a USB hub to be powered? The Saitek hub has a light, it's detected by win10 as a hub, doesn't that make it powered? Shouldn't it have fixed the issue?
:frowning2:

edit: also I just can't get another ~10 foot USB cable to work at all. Don't know how many unplugs/replugs, just won't work.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #859 of 870
I don't have that issue either.

Lately, I've been getting some static (random pops & cracks) and it started bothering me. I suspected the cable, so I switched the USB cable to a longer cable (10 foot?), and once it got detected, I instantly got 100x the static, constant unbearable cracking noise instead of a crack/pop every 15s. So I think my static issue is from a weaker/****tier front USB front port and/or USB cable which for some reason developed an issue...

So I finally bothered to look for my https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Brand-Saitek-Port-Mini/dp/B01MY7E1OF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533992499&sr=8-3&keywords=saitek+hub]Saitek USB hub[/url], thinking I'd plug it in the mobo USB slot instead of front, assuming that a 'powered?' usb hub would fix the plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/works! issue, but it didn't! When I plug the hub, win10 instantly detects the hub, but when I plug in the modi, I get the same schit, "USB device not recognized", about 5s after plugging the modi. So the hub basically does nothing.

Is this because the hub isn't 'powered'? What does it mean for a USB hub to be powered? The Saitek hub has a light, it's detected by win10 as a hub, doesn't that make it powered? Shouldn't it have fixed the issue?
:frowning2:

edit: also I just can't get another ~10 foot USB cable to work at all. Don't know how many unplugs/replugs, just won't work.

Which version of the Modi do you have? If it is a version 1, usb powered only, people have started reporting similar issues and not long after having the Modi die completely.

The hub you have listed isn't a powered hub. While correct that if it shows the green light it has power a powered hub means that it accepts power from an outside source, not the computer, to supplement the power given from the computer. These will have some sort of a wall wart or power cord that needs to be plugged into an outlet for power. Take a look at this one. It is a well made powered one that would fit your criteria.

The hub is: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-...id=1534091024&sr=1-5&keywords=powered+usb+hub

If it doesn't fix it there is a high possibility the Modi could be going out and you would have to contact Schiit about it. One last thing to try is if you have access to another computer and see if it will work on it. If not then it is the Modi and if it works it is something with your computer or setup.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #860 of 870
Mine has been working 90% of the time since I got the new motherboard with high powered hubs, aside from a period of 2 weeks where it just completely stopped no matter what I did. Much better than working 10% before. But if it isn't detected I don't even get a USB error or anything any more. It just will not work no matter what, then I have to wait for it to work again randomly. Shiit has always insisted the issue is with Windows, so good luck contacting them for any non-detection support issues.

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #861 of 870
Yeah version 1... Sad to hear, it already broke down and was sent to schiit for repair, now again? Sad... :frowning2: Guess I'll be looking for a new dac...

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #862 of 870
Yeah version 1... Sad to hear, it already broke down and was sent to schiit for repair, now again? Sad... :frowning2: Guess I'll be looking for a new dac...

Thanks!
I just tried hooking up the Modi to an old laptop running Ubuntu and it worked perfectly as soon as it was plugged in. I think the front computer USB port is toast due to wear with the constant plugging and unplugging. So I just broke down and ordered a powered hub.

It's unbelievable how Microsoft would ruin device connectivity just in the name of power savings. I mean way to piss off your user base; render their hardware devices unusable...

In other news, tried to connect my old Aune T1 and Ubuntu only detects it as 'Analog output' which obviously does not work as it needs analog. Sigh.

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #863 of 870
Well good news, Hub arrived and everything now works perfectly. Should have done it a long time ago... Came down to like 4$, hub + power supply, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...SB-2-0-Hub-USB-Splitter-With/32818443967.html so if anyone needs one, really at that price it's really a no brainer!

Also as a bonus I used an audio switcher (software) to switch from speakers to dac, now since the hub has a switch, I can just use the USB hub switch to turn the modi on and off and switch from speaker to headphones!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #864 of 870
Kinda mixed feelings about the modi3 i just got .... didn't realise you couldn't power it off. Prefer it when i can just power on the DAC and windows transfers audio control to it. With it powered on constantly i have to use windows controls to ensure the right device is playing the right sources.
Or to "quickly" switch sources i have to edit preferences of certain apps.

Kinda really took the shine off it in a way :S

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #865 of 870
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been more discussion around the Modi over the years. Anyway, here is my Modi 3+ review.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #866 of 870
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been more discussion around the Modi over the years. Anyway, here is my Modi 3+ review.
Near the beginning of your review, you mentioned about a separate power input for the USB input. I own the Modi 3 and thought it was interesting (but understandable) that Schiit did that with the Modi 3+ since, for the Modi 3, the power input was to power the coaxial and the optical inputs only. Then I looked at Schiit's Modi 3+ manual and it is same instructions as the Modi 3 (https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/modi 3plus manual.pdf):
If you’re using Modi 3+ as a USB only DAC, you don’t need Power Input. Just connect it to your computer with the supplied USB Micro cable and you’re set.

If you’re using the other digital inputs, and you’re NOT using USB, you need Power Input. Connect the supplied USB wall-wart with the supplied USB Micro cable to provide power for the other inputs. Modi 3+ won’t work without power, and power comes from USB.

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #867 of 870
Thanks for that. I've edited the description of the video. I guess it is more so for people who want to use it with mobile devices where the Modi would draw too much power over USB as well.

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #868 of 870
I’ve recently ordered Modi 3+/Magni Heresy stack (also Magnius/Modius stack). Excited to try them out whenever they arrive!

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #869 of 870
I bought B-stock Modi 3 and new Magni 3+ Heresy, it is awesome. After using Creative products for years I realized that I did not hear many things in music, I even did not think that bass could be such picked and claps, all sounds are separated and clear.

I thought that will try Schhit stack and sell it, continue using Creative, but hell no, creative will be sold.

Just two question:
1. There is a difference in sound between optical and USB input for PC?
2. Do we have any advice for using Modi? Maybe setup guide? I like Wasapi push in foobar2000, but do not like that I have to stop music when want to play video or have a call in skype.
Update: wasapi shared helped me https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapis

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #870 of 870
Usb 3 has issues with usb dacs due to the way the new protocol works. Many dacs have had this issue and as of right now I don't think there is a solution. You would need to find a way to make that usb3 port act like a usb2 port either through potentially a hub or other piece of equipment, not sure exactly what might work.
10 years later, I'm facing this exact same issue now. And I can't find the answer on the internet since most people dont use Schiit dacs, right?

So thanks for this. At least I know roughly the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back