Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 29, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,561 of 1,646
Narrow shallower.
A more foward soundstage
A soundstage that’s positioned forward…
Whatever you wanna call it…I was basically saying the same thing…
I don’t mean forward in your face like someone yelling at you 2 inches away etc.
I think you have to read the body of my post , as its implied.
But yes, in the future narrower, shallow, or would be a better descriptor
Thanks
FIY… I’ve had experience with all of these MB- except BF2/64..YGGY just a OG.
I get the more precise/ realistic (realistic debatable to some extent) of the YGGY.
I moved my down the road after I tried a BF2 OG.
Call me crazy, but to me the BF2 OG analog sounding, and a better fit.
Easy listening easy to hear all the detail- like an old friend so to speak.
Rare in audio IMHO
Well broken in AT/120E comes to mind.
Or..a copy of say Rubber Soul on reel…
But I love the convince and massive variety of digital sources…

Just getting back to descriptors, I think that’s part of the problem.
Like the bright description.
When I read many of the threads using this, I get what they’re talking about.
And it’s not really bright like a blaring hf horn , simbalnce.
But to some the gloss over at or speed read and it comes off the wrong way so they get hesitant.
Pretty soon it becomes the body of the whole thread before you know it
But agreed forward was a bad choice.

I agree, descriptors may be interpreted differently. By forward I understand to be to isolate vocalists midtones out in front of the stage, not the case with MMB2. So we are actually in agreement. :)

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,562 of 1,646
Is there a NOS mode in Multibit DAC cards? Or it’s only available in MM2?
No, it's only available in the MM2 & the current Bifrost 2 (2/64) where the new firmware featuring NOS mode comes pre-installed. The previous Bifrost 2's firmware can be updated in the field by the user/owner that enables the ability to use NOS mode in that model. Worked like a charm.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #1,563 of 1,646
IMHO no one should listen to a Schiit DAC directly in NOS mode, unless they input their own filtered data as I suggested above; that's what NOS is for.
Yes, that's YOUR opinion, but once I updated my Bifrost 2 with the new firmware enabling it to be used in NOS mode, I listened to it in NOS mode exclusively, never going back to their filter, and without any additional filtering. Didn't need it, at least on my speaker-based system. NOS mode & it's inherent sonic signatures/qualities and the many DACs featuring it like the Denafrips Ares 2 (among many, many others) can be can be enjoyed right out of the box and sound great with no additional filtering. I listened to a friend's MM2 in NOS mode, both with headphones & speakers, without any additional filtering & it sounded great! My current DAC is an NOS DAC and I have no reason to add anything that may change the way it sounds.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,565 of 1,646
I said IMHO and you have your opinion. :).

The purpose of these forums is to share experiences so all is good.
Agreed. Yours just sounded a little "strong" but I guess that's OK.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #1,566 of 1,646
Has anyone compared the MMB2 to a Benchmark DAC1 over toslink?

Asking because I have a DAC1 in one of my systems being fed from a NUC -> USB DDC -> TOSlink -> DAC1 -> RCA out.
Will likely replace with NUC -> USB -> MMB2 -> RCA out.

Curious if anyone else has experienced the 2 DACs back to back.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,568 of 1,646
Sure
I have not updated my BF2OG to NOS capability.
I don’t prefer the NOS mode with the MMB2 in that half of my system.
Sounds a little soft, lack of definition.
I have a Project DAC Box FL ( TDA 1543x4 NOS
I run it off the coax of my Polk XM radio tuner
The BF 2 OG of the Polk's Toslink
Surprising both DACS have a very similar presentation, tonality rhythm and dynamics, with the BF2 OG being a few notches up in clarity and sound layering.
So it already kinda sounds NOS anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,569 of 1,646
I just ordered a MMB2. I’ve been using a Bifrost 2 OG in my home office headphone setup for the last few years which I like a lot. But I’m making some changes and desk space is limited so downsizing to a smaller DAC will be helpful. After reading through this thread I’m hopeful that I’ll be happy with the MMB2 too. My office setup gets light use because I can’t always listen while working so I think the trade-offs will be ok and I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,570 of 1,646
I just ordered a MMB2. I’ve been using a Bifrost 2 OG in my home office headphone setup for the last few years which I like a lot. But I’m making some changes and desk space is limited so downsizing to a smaller DAC will be helpful. After reading through this thread I’m hopeful that I’ll be happy with the MMB2 too.
I have both.
And like both.
They are different but both are thoroughly enjoyable IMHO:)

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,571 of 1,646
I just ordered a MMB2. I’ve been using a Bifrost 2 OG in my home office headphone setup for the last few years which I like a lot. But I’m making some changes and desk space is limited so downsizing to a smaller DAC will be helpful. After reading through this thread I’m hopeful that I’ll be happy with the MMB2 too. My office setup gets light use because I can’t always listen while working so I think the trade-offs will be ok and I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

I tried the MMB2 side by side with the BF2 OG and the 2/64 and I was surprised at how close the performance was to the BF DACs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how little you're giving up by downsizing to the MMB2. That said, make sure you come back and let us all know how it works out for you. These are the kind of opinions/comparisons that make this thread worthwhile.

Happy listening!

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,572 of 1,646
Yes, that's YOUR opinion, but once I updated my Bifrost 2 with the new firmware enabling it to be used in NOS mode, I listened to it in NOS mode exclusively, never going back to their filter, and without any additional filtering. Didn't need it, at least on my speaker-based system. NOS mode & it's inherent sonic signatures/qualities and the many DACs featuring it like the Denafrips Ares 2 (among many, many others) can be can be enjoyed right out of the box and sound great with no additional filtering. I listened to a friend's MM2 in NOS mode, both with headphones & speakers, without any additional filtering & it sounded great! My current DAC is an NOS DAC and I have no reason to add anything that may change the way it sounds.
I feel the same way, on both the 2/64 on my speaker system and MM2 with the Vali 2, I prefer NOS 90% of the time. I just prefer the softer overall presentation, I don't know if NOS affects imaging much, at least I haven't noticed. I feel MCB has this strident feeling in female vocals which is pretty much all I listen to. It makes them sound forced and a bit unnatural, albeit more up front and center. If that's what detail sounds like, I don't care much for it lol, I prefer tonality. The one thing I do miss out from using NOS is that the subbass especially slams harder with the filter on, and it also tames sibilance in some songs whereas NOS just gives it raw. But after a while I don't care.

On the 2/64 + speaker setup, MCB sounds a bit more wall of sound even if it does have more precise imaging, it sounds a bit closed in when it comes to instruments to me. My fave on that setup is 2/64 + NOS feeding the preout of a tube amp.

This is my favorite song to hear differences between NOS & MCB: Someone New by Helena Deland
Apple Music
Spotify

The way the sounds pan around you, widen and compress, but also her voice hits the limiter quite a few times and on MCB I can't stand it, the extra detail distracts from the tone of the voice. With NOS you just about hear the voice on the verge of clipping. Although with MCB the subbass, especially half way trough the song keeps punching your eardrums like a heartbeat, whereas with NOS it's there, but you don't feel it as much. I just listened to it on my Penon Serial and preferred NOS, although the subbass rumble did make me want to go to the filter a few times.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,573 of 1,646
Just a FIY.
You guys that are digging the NOS..
DAC Box FL.. or DAC Box S Fl may be a good alternative.
If you can find them
As far as enjoying NOS… i’m not questioning it.
But it doesn’t sound natural, or more natural.
Colored, for sure.
Nothing wrong with preferring either of these nor reason to defend it in my opinion, but saying it sounds natural, more natural that’s not an accurate description on my opinion.
Try cuing up the same track on a decent turntable/ cart.
It won’t sound like NOS.
Neither does NOS sound “live”
Along with the softer presentation, it definitely emphasizes certain frequencies and their impact and decays.
The uneven altering of the dynamics is my biggest beef with NOS.
Anyone dabbling in various NOS Dacs has experienced this to a more, or lesser extent depending on the DAC.
Pleasant yep.
Non fatiguing?
Sometimes, sure.
Natural, I just don’t think so.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,574 of 1,646
I tried the MMB2 side by side with the BF2 OG and the 2/64 and I was surprised at how close the performance was to the BF DACs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how little you're giving up by downsizing to the MMB2.

I agree. The MMB2 and BF2 definitely sound more alike than different. It was only when I got a Gungnir MB that I felt everything made a significant jump up in SQ.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #1,575 of 1,646
I agree. The MMB2 and BF2 definitely sound more alike than different. It was only when I got a Gungnir MB that I felt that everything made a significant jump up in SQ.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I don't have the Gungir, but I do have the Yggy and I definitely found myself thinking that unless someone absolutely needs balanced connections or they are absolutely sure that they'll never spend beyond the BF2 price range then someone who already owns the MMB2 should probably pass on the BF2 and look to the higher end Schiit DACs if they want a significant upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back