Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,441 of 1,646
I do find Coax is a bit brighter and Optical is a bit warmer sounding. USB is about middle.

This seems consistent across many dacs that I tried.

On different dac I like different inputs depending on synergy and stuff lol. But I tend to use USB for simplicity as long it doesn't sound bad (some dac has bad USB).

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,442 of 1,646
I do find Coax is a bit brighter and Optical is a bit warmer sounding. USB is about middle.

This seems consistent across many dacs that I tried.

On different dac I like different inputs depending on synergy and stuff lol. But I tend to use USB for simplicity as long it doesn't sound bad (some dac has bad USB).
I would agree with this although for me it’s much less pronounced on the MM2.

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,443 of 1,646
I tried the Ethereal MHX-T1 and this toslink cable sounds very good with my MMB2. There is some difference compared with coax but the difference is slight. Treble seems the slightest bit reticent. Surprisingly good dynamics.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #1,445 of 1,646
I’m 31 with hearing ability up to 17khz and I find that treble is sweeter on optical, ideally that’s what you want, no noise being transferred down the cable to your source.

Being enticed to turn it up a bit louder is always a good sign imo.

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #1,446 of 1,646
BTW, I didn't mean to imply anything with my use of the word "cheap" in my last post. "Inexpensive" would have been a much better choice of words.

I apologize if any member took offense to it's use.

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,447 of 1,646
Reading through this thread there’s a lot talk about schiits new multibit dacs sounding more bright and edgy. I haven’t heard older MMv2 but for those of you who can compare or have compared does the new one sound more like a delta sigma DAC in comparison?

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #1,450 of 1,646
Reading through this thread there’s a lot talk about schiits new multibit dacs sounding more bright and edgy.
It's often difficult to distinguish between "bright and edgy" and "clear and articulate."

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,451 of 1,646
Reading through this thread there’s a lot talk about schiits new multibit dacs sounding more bright and edgy. I haven’t heard older MMv2 but for those of you who can compare or have compared does the new one sound more like a delta sigma DAC in comparison?
I think what people think is "bright" is relative to other equipment they've used in the past.

At least for me I think SMSL SU-1 is brighter than MMB2.

BUT on the other hand MMB2 is brighter than most other Schiit dac I've used in the past (Modi 3+, MMB1, Bifrost 2 OG). I haven't get to try Bifrost 2/64 yet but that one is also said to be bright.

MMB2 is also brighter than SDAC, Soekris 1541, and Musician Draco. But maybe bright in different areas than Ares II.

It also depend on the headphone you're using, if you're using a dark headphone you'll most likely be fine (i.e. HD650 or LCD-2C or something). I was using TH900 and Grado so I thought it was bright LOL.
It's often difficult to distinguish between "bright and edgy" and "clear and articulate."
Yeah I think more treble is generally perceived as more detailed. So it is very possible people can find MMB2 both bright and detailed.

One example is HD800.

So I do agree 100% MMB2 is more resolving than MMB1. But I also agree MMB2 is brighter than MMB1.

At what level it's "acceptable" it depends on user preference lol. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #1,453 of 1,646
I have the latest Modi+ to compare and the MMB2 is not brighter that the Modi+ (in my systems).
lol I believe you, I think Modi 3+ was the last AKM Modi, after that with 3E and Modi+ are all ESS.

I haven't heard 3E and Modi+ but generally speaking I think ESS chips are usually brighter than AKM chips so it's totally possible. :laughing:

I'm very tempted to buy the Modi+ just so I can say I've tried it. :thinking:

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #1,454 of 1,646
Sep 17, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,455 of 1,646
lol I believe you, I think Modi 3+ was the last AKM Modi, after that with 3E and Modi+ are all ESS.

I haven't heard 3E and Modi+ but generally speaking I think ESS chips are usually brighter than AKM chips so it's totally possible. :laughing:

I'm very tempted to buy the Modi+ just so I can say I've tried it. :thinking:
It's a great little DAC, quite neutral actuall slightly warmer bottom than Modi 3 and much more engaging, clear and fun. Great little DAC, this is beyond just entry level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back