Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Aug 28, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #1,426 of 1,646
Does it mean that MMB1 is warmer than MMB2 because of the 4x vs 8x filters?
What about MMB1 V3?
What is Modi Multibit V3? The firmware update was V2.
I think that the MM2 is just an overall improvement over the MM1in every aspect of performance. For me, it does everything that the MM1 does only better. I'd skip the MM1 and go straight to the MM2. Just my suggestion after having spent time with both. Plus a Modi 3, Modi 3E, Modius AK4493, Bifrost multibit and Bifrost 4490.

Aug 28, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #1,427 of 1,646
I wanted to give an update on my Modi Multibit 2 journey. Initially I had bought it to be used in my home office with my Magni Heresy. Decided it was too good to go there so I tried it in my stereo (same room). Initial
Impression was that it sounded “better” for me on the stereo than my Gumby. It was more a presentation thing. This was both USB from a Raspberry Pi4 with Roon. It’s been there a couple months and I’ve noticed a decline in my listening time.
I added a Pi2AES-Lite to the Pi to see what improvements that might bring. Coax to the MM2 which gave me a bit too much treble energy for my whole system (which means that way anyway). Tried Optical and that brought it back a bit. Lastly threw the Gumby back in Coax. Wow. That was the magic combination.

So in the long haul and with coax connection vs optical on the MM2, I definitely preferred the overall presentation of my Gumby DAC. It should be better for 4x the price. In the longer run it was. It just has that certain more quality which is minimized in a short evaluation, but shows itself in the longer haul.

Sorry to run on. I think this is a another example of system matching. It’s a system evaluation not a DAC specifically. (Please don’t read that MM2 is bright).

Sep 5, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #1,432 of 1,646
Anybody using toslink with their MMB2. I have more DAC's than I have coaxial outputs. I wondered if there is much of a quality downgrade using a toslink cable.

I routinely use one of my MMB2s through a 12 inch Toslink from a Wiim Mini on bit perfect output and it sounds just dandy. I have noticed no downgrade in quality/fidelity over coax.

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #1,433 of 1,646
1693961889905.png
Ethereal MHX-T1 (1 meter/3.2 feet)

I bought one of these from Crutchfield. I almost bought the 0.5 meter but I thought that length might give too much bend.
I read that too much bend will damage the cable or cause signal loss.

My research also said save your money and buy a basic cable. Which seems like good advice at least until I hear the sound.

I see you use a 12" cable JA and you also recommended a short cable adias. Will there be much difference between a 0.5 m and a 1.0 m cable?

Thank you for your replies!

Sep 5, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #1,434 of 1,646
1693961889905.pngEthereal MHX-T1 (1 meter/3.2 feet)

I bought one of these from Crutchfield. I almost bought the 0.5 meter but I thought that length might give too much bend.
I read that too much bend will damage the cable or cause signal loss.

My research also said save your money and buy a basic cable. Which seems like good advice at least until I hear the sound.

I see you use a 12" cable JA and you also recommended a short cable adias. Will there be much difference between a 0.5 m and a 1.0 m cable?

Thank you for your replies!
1m is fine.

Sep 6, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #1,435 of 1,646
Anybody using toslink with their MMB2. I have more DAC's than I have coaxial outputs. I wondered if there is much of a quality downgrade using a toslink cable.

Optical is objectively the best connection because it’s immune to any noise, the issue would be all the clock timing is done within the DAC so it has to have good local jitter attenuation.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,436 of 1,646
I have used the MM2 DAC with Optical. Sounds good to me. Slight difference to coax. Kind of mimics my experience with other DACs. I wouldn’t qualify it as inferior or anything. Difference is very slight and I have a pretty revealing system.

This was from my Pi2AES coax and optical outputs. Using Audioquest Cinnamon Coax and Optical cables.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,437 of 1,646
I'm with the others -- I compared the optical to coax just to see if I could tell any difference but could not -- both sounded equally good. But, I'm 70 years old so others might notice things I don't. I also confirmed that the optical connection supported 24/192K files. I understand some optical cables might not get past 24/96K.

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,439 of 1,646
I'm 69 and in my experience in MY system (see signature), going between my transport & DAC, I can easily hear the difference between a cheap optical cable & a decent coax. The optical sounds like a "facsimile" compared to the coax. Keep in mind, this is ME. What you hear in YOUR system is a completely different matter.

And for the record, the best optical cables I've heard (so far) are the Sys. Concepts Toslink Premium & the Lifatec Silflex Glass.

Have fun!

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,440 of 1,646
I gave a good toslink cable with lots of strands of glass in it. My coax cable is an Audioquest cinnamon.
From my transport to the MM2 I think that the toslink cable is just a bit brighter. Could be brain just playing tricks on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back