Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #1,396 of 1,649
I haven't been on for a while so to some personal issues, but I did do some comparative listening between the MMB1 with the upgraded ROM and and op amp upgrade to an OPA1656 which is how I purchased the unit used and was all the rage for mods on the Mimby for a while. I also acquired an Artist (for the second time) to make sure my comparison from memory that I posted earlier in the thread was reasonably accurate. I figured I would post some basic thoughts after a few side by side sessions between the MMB2, Airist, and the modded/updated MMB1.

First to the easier of the two comparisons, the Artist. The Airist was my first and only "budget" R2R DAC and it showed me enough of the potential of R2R/Multibit that it sparked a decades long love affair with the tech so it will always hold a place in my heart. That said, the Artist always had some easily noticeable (IMO) flaws including fuzzy/blurred separation, a lack of low level detail and what was there was often somewhat opaque or unclear. I also felt that as music got busier, the Artist often struggled with congestion and dynamics. That said, it had wonderful tonality and when music was in it's wheelhouse it could be a truly enjoyable DAC.

In comparison to the MMB2, I found the Artist to me inferior and clearly outmatched in basically every way possible. The MMB2 was clearer and more tonally/timbrally correct without any of the blurring or loss of low level detail. Dynamics, soundstage, separation, detail, and dynamics were leaps and bounds ahead on the MMB2. I don't want to just turn this into a bash the Artist paragraph so I'll leave it at that. If you have any specific questions though, just ask and I'll be happy to answer.

The upgraded Mimby was a much closer comparison, though I still found the MMB2 to be the better DAC by a comfortable margin though I can see why some folks love the Mimby and I intend to keep mine. First, the Mimby has a significantly warmer, borderline syrupy presentation which can sometimes be detrimental to clarity and even overwhelming depending on the music it's being fed. It's USB implementation is useless so I used a Wiim Mini on both the Mimby and the MMB2 to take advantage of bit perfect playback over the optical ports which increased the Mimby's sonic performance noticeably over USB. The MMB2 has better micro detail retrieval, better micro and macro dynamics, greater tonal and timbral accuracy and clarity. The 8x oversampling SuperComboBurrito filter on the MMB2 also seemed to provide a noticeably more balanced and refined experience than the 4x oversampling Combo Burrito filter on the Mimby. Lastly, I found the warmth and laid back presentation on the Mimby to be very hit and miss with music, while the clear, but still very musical and detailed presentation on the MMB2 matches well with everything I've ever thrown at it.

These impressions were just some of the more obvious and easy ones that stuck out to me. If you folks are interested in something more in depth or have specific questions you'd like answered don't hesitate to let me know.

I hope this was helpful and useful. All listing was done through my Schiit Lyr with a switch box that allowed for push button switching between the DACs. I listened using Hifiman HE6seV1, HE560, HE500, DCA Aeon Closed and Open X, Audeze MM-500, Sennheiser HD800S, AKG K872/K812, and ZMF VC. Though, for a short time I rotated in my Magni 3+ and ran IEMs through the rig including, Audio 64 A12t, SoftEars Twilight, ThieAudio Prestige, Orioles Szalayis, Dunu EST112, Penon Serial, and Campfire Supermoons.
Hope your personal issues have resolved satisfactorily. It's good to have you back.

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #1,397 of 1,649
I got out my Modi Multibit that I haven't used in a couple of years and I forgot how much I liked it. Paired it with my Jotunheim 2 and they sound really good so it has me wondering if it's worth getting the new MM2 or do they sound pretty much the same? I really don't want to spend $800 on the Bifrost so I just wanted to know if anyone has had the original Multibit and M2 and if so how do they differ if at all?

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #1,398 of 1,649
I haven't been on for a while so to some personal issues, but I did do some comparative listening between the MMB1 with the upgraded ROM and and op amp upgrade to an OPA1656 which is how I purchased the unit used and was all the rage for mods on the Mimby for a while. I also acquired an Artist (for the second time) to make sure my comparison from memory that I posted earlier in the thread was reasonably accurate. I figured I would post some basic thoughts after a few side by side sessions between the MMB2, Airist, and the modded/updated MMB1.

First to the easier of the two comparisons, the Artist. The Airist was my first and only "budget" R2R DAC and it showed me enough of the potential of R2R/Multibit that it sparked a decades long love affair with the tech so it will always hold a place in my heart. That said, the Artist always had some easily noticeable (IMO) flaws including fuzzy/blurred separation, a lack of low level detail and what was there was often somewhat opaque or unclear. I also felt that as music got busier, the Artist often struggled with congestion and dynamics. That said, it had wonderful tonality and when music was in it's wheelhouse it could be a truly enjoyable DAC.

In comparison to the MMB2, I found the Artist to me inferior and clearly outmatched in basically every way possible. The MMB2 was clearer and more tonally/timbrally correct without any of the blurring or loss of low level detail. Dynamics, soundstage, separation, detail, and dynamics were leaps and bounds ahead on the MMB2. I don't want to just turn this into a bash the Artist paragraph so I'll leave it at that. If you have any specific questions though, just ask and I'll be happy to answer.

The upgraded Mimby was a much closer comparison, though I still found the MMB2 to be the better DAC by a comfortable margin though I can see why some folks love the Mimby and I intend to keep mine. First, the Mimby has a significantly warmer, borderline syrupy presentation which can sometimes be detrimental to clarity and even overwhelming depending on the music it's being fed. It's USB implementation is useless so I used a Wiim Mini on both the Mimby and the MMB2 to take advantage of bit perfect playback over the optical ports which increased the Mimby's sonic performance noticeably over USB. The MMB2 has better micro detail retrieval, better micro and macro dynamics, greater tonal and timbral accuracy and clarity. The 8x oversampling SuperComboBurrito filter on the MMB2 also seemed to provide a noticeably more balanced and refined experience than the 4x oversampling Combo Burrito filter on the Mimby. Lastly, I found the warmth and laid back presentation on the Mimby to be very hit and miss with music, while the clear, but still very musical and detailed presentation on the MMB2 matches well with everything I've ever thrown at it.

These impressions were just some of the more obvious and easy ones that stuck out to me. If you folks are interested in something more in depth or have specific questions you'd like answered don't hesitate to let me know.

I hope this was helpful and useful. All listing was done through my Schiit Lyr with a switch box that allowed for push button switching between the DACs. I listened using Hifiman HE6seV1, HE560, HE500, DCA Aeon Closed and Open X, Audeze MM-500, Sennheiser HD800S, AKG K872/K812, and ZMF VC. Though, for a short time I rotated in my Magni 3+ and ran IEMs through the rig including, Audio 64 A12t, SoftEars Twilight, ThieAudio Prestige, Orioles Szalayis, Dunu EST112, Penon Serial, and Campfire Supermoons.
Welcome back!

Good to hear you're still enjoying the MMB2, also hopefully you sorted out the personal issues.
I got out my Modi Multibit that I haven't used in a couple of years and I forgot how much I liked it. Paired it with my Jotunheim 2 and they sound really good so it has me wondering if it's worth getting the new MM2 or do they sound pretty much the same? I really don't want to spend $800 on the Bifrost so I just wanted to know if anyone has had the original Multibit and M2 and if so how do they differ if at all?
Hmmmmmm the short version is that MMB1 is warmer and MMB2 is more neutral, MMB2 has higher resolution, MMB2 has Unison USB so if you use USB then MMB2 is better.

But if you enjoy MMB1's tonal presentation then MMB2 would be more "different". But there are 2-3 people here seems to enjoy their switch from MMB1 to MMB2.

Aug 22, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,399 of 1,649
When I go back forth between the MM1 and MM2 I find that I prefer the MM2. It's more resolving and I like the additional details that it brings out in the music. I almost didn't buy one because of the early reports that I read here. Some users thought it was bright, which I don't think it is.

Aug 22, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,400 of 1,649
Welcome back!

Good to hear you're still enjoying the MMB2, also hopefully you sorted out the personal issues.

Hmmmmmm the short version is that MMB1 is warmer and MMB2 is more neutral, MMB2 has higher resolution, MMB2 has Unison USB so if you use USB then MMB2 is better.

But if you enjoy MMB1's tonal presentation then MMB2 would be more "different". But there are 2-3 people here seems to enjoy their switch from MMB1 to MMB2.
How much better/different is an MMB2 compared to my MMB1 (that's being fed by an Eitr)?

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,401 of 1,649
I don't use USB I use coaxial but if the MMB2 is more resolving then it might just be worth getting though I do like the warmth of the original especially with headphones like my AP2000ti and Arya which are 2 of my favorites.

Thanks for the help guys I think I'll probably go ahead and get one because Schiit hasn't let me down yet.

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,402 of 1,649
I don't use USB I use coaxial but if the MMB2 is more resolving then it might just be worth getting though I do like the warmth of the original especially with headphones like my AP2000ti and Arya which are 2 of my favorites.

Thanks for the help guys I think I'll probably go ahead and get one because Schiit hasn't let me down yet.
I use a coax cable too, direct to my Audiolab transport. I'm not knocking my MM1. It was a game changer when it was introduced. A $250 ladder DAC was really amazing and especially how well it performed, and still does.
I just think that the MM2 builds upon the MM1. 8 X oversampling and if you so desire a NOS mode. In my opinion to get a DAC that performs like the MM2 does for $300 is a bargain.

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,403 of 1,649
Yeah, that's how I felt with the original so I'm sure I'll feel the same about the MMB2.

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,404 of 1,649
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I read on Reddit that the Modi Multibit 2 is basically extremely similar to the bifrost multibit 1. Is that true? I’m trying to decide if I should get a modi multibit or just the Modi plus and my Google-fu is coming up with nada. I know what the bifrost multibit sounds like because I own one so if it sounds similar then getting a MM2 would be a no brainer.

Any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #1,405 of 1,649
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I read on Reddit that the Modi Multibit 2 is basically extremely similar to the bifrost multibit 1. Is that true? I’m trying to decide if I should get a modi multibit or just the Modi plus and my Google-fu is coming up with nada. I know what the bifrost multibit sounds like because I own one so if it sounds similar then getting a MM2 would be a no brainer.

I owned the original Bifrost multibit and the MM1 at the same time. Using a CD transport and coax cable I found very little difference between the MM1 and Bifrost multibit. My personal preference would be a MM2 over an original Bifrost multibit. Of course this totally subjective.

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #1,406 of 1,649
I owned the original Bifrost multibit and the MM1 at the same time. Using a CD transport and coax cable I found very little difference between the MM1 and Bifrost multibit. My personal preference would be a MM2 over an original Bifrost multibit. Of course this totally subjective.
Sorry, I should have clarified. This is for a second system for work. I still have my OG bifrost multibit setup with my Valhalla at home. I’m trying to decide between a modi+ or a multibit for listening with a Magni 3 or Piety, mainly with the Sennheiser HD600, 650, 660S2 and ie600.

I’m really just trying to determine if the mm2 is worth it over the m+. If it sounds like my bifrost then it probably is and the bifrost is a good reference point for me because I’ve been using one for years.

Just wanted to hear from the community what the differences between the m+ and mm2 would be because the price difference is stark.

But yeah, that’s my specific setup above. I’d heard the m+ could be really dry and I doubt that would do the HD600 any favors. Wasn’t sure if the mm2 had that dry/analytical issue.

Thanks for the response.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,407 of 1,649

I've had the Modi 3, the Modi MB1, Modi MB2 and the Bifrost MB1. I found the Modi MB2 more resolving and tonally accurate than the others. The advantage of the Bifrost MB1 over the others was in scale: soundstage and dynamics were larger. I still preferred the Modi MB2 for its advantages and it wasn't too far behind the Bifrost MB1 in the other areas. I think a multibit DAC is the way to go. YMMV.

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #1,408 of 1,649
Sorry, I should have clarified. This is for a second system for work. I still have my OG bifrost multibit setup with my Valhalla at home. I’m trying to decide between a modi+ or a multibit for listening with a Magni 3 or Piety, mainly with the Sennheiser HD600, 650, 660S2 and ie600.

I’m really just trying to determine if the mm2 is worth it over the m+. If it sounds like my bifrost then it probably is and the bifrost is a good reference point for me because I’ve been using one for years.

Just wanted to hear from the community what the differences between the m+ and mm2 would be because the price difference is stark.

But yeah, that’s my specific setup above. I’d heard the m+ could be really dry and I doubt that would do the HD600 any favors. Wasn’t sure if the mm2 had that dry/analytical issue.

Thanks for the response.
I have the Modi 3, not the +. But there is a musicality to the multibit DACs that is lacking in their delta sigma competitors. They're also less dry. The Modi MB2 is more neutral (less warm but less "fuzzy", less veiled) than the Bifrost MB1 but it still has that same musicality.

Edit: I meant to say Bifrost MB1 not 2.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #1,409 of 1,649
I have

Thanks for the response.
I have a friend in Chicago who loves the Modi+. He has a MM1 and still prefers it over the Modi+ but gives the Modi+ a lot praise for the price.
I had a Modi 3E that uses the ES9018 which is the same converter that's in the Modi+ and I didn't care for it at all. I'd say Mike Moffat and his crew went back and worked the bugs out of the 3E.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,410 of 1,649

Thanks for the response.
I would say mix and match, whichever you decide-- if you go with the Piety, that is "warm" enough to use the Modi+ with the Sennheisers you listed. If you go with MM2, then pair it with the Magni3. I had the Modi3 and Magni3 on my desk at work, and switched them for the MM2/Piety combo. With bright headphones, it is ideal. With normal or warm headphones, it is a little subdued/muted. I am currently listening on the HD660S and sometimes want a bit more treble. If I use other, trebly headphones, no such issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back