Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Aug 7, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #1,381 of 1,646
You have one eh? HMMMMMMM so tempting but I need to reassess my current situation, since the main reason why I keep pushing back the idea is because I have no desk space LOL.

Kind of why I went with MMB2 first.

But it might be worth it for sound, again will need to get back to you on that later. But definitely much appreciated for letting me know! :slight_smile::thumbsup:
Don’t take candy from strangers so easily!!

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,385 of 1,646
I had a Bifrost 2 which I sold, and now have a MM2. However, I didn't own them at the same point in time so can only compare them from memory. Probably a bit of that and also my being 70 years old, but I find them far more similar than different, and certainly not worth the difference in price. I also have a multibit DAC card in my Lyr 3 along with some other DAC options (a Topping E30, a Hifiberry DAC2HD and a Schiit ES9028 DAC card) and definitely prefer the multibits over the DS DACs.

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #1,386 of 1,646
I had a Bifrost 2 which I sold, and now have a MM2. However, I didn't own them at the same point in time so can only compare them from memory. Probably a bit of that and also my being 70 years old, but I find them far more similar than different, and certainly not worth the difference in price. I also have a multibit DAC card in my Lyr 3 along with some other DAC options (a Topping E30, a Hifiberry DAC2HD and a Schiit ES9028 DAC card) and definitely prefer the multibits over the DS DACs.
I kinda want to sell my 2/64 and get 2 MM2s or maybe even another Mimby to mod with opamps.

Edit: It's hitting the chopping block, PM me if you want a Bifrost 2/64.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #1,387 of 1,646
Can anyone comment on whether moving from a Schiit Bifrost 1 Multibit with unison USB to Modi Multibit 2 is worth it? I think I really like the Bifrost but I am kind of bored and looking for something different. Thanks!

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,388 of 1,646
Can anyone comment on whether moving from a Schiit Bifrost 1 Multibit with unison USB to Modi Multibit 2 is worth it? I think I really like the Bifrost but I am kind of bored and looking for something different. Thanks!
As someone with both, I will have to say no. Unison in Bifrost 1 is actually better since it is galvanically isolated.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,390 of 1,646
Would you have the same advice if I told you that I only use optical out?
Yup same. The whole point of Modi Multibit 2 is the USB input since its predecessor had subpar USB. You don't gain anything switching to Modi Multibit 2 except for a smaller form factor. You will get a more neutral sound signature with it as well, but I don't know whether if that is a pro or con.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,391 of 1,646
Yup same. The whole point of Modi Multibit 2 is the USB input since its predecessor had subpar USB. You don't gain anything switching to Modi Multibit 2 except for a smaller form factor. You will get a more neutral sound signature with it as well, but I don't know whether if that is a pro or con.
Doesn't the MM2 have 8 × oversampling and the original Bifrost multibit have four times?

Aug 13, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,392 of 1,646
I have a modded Bifrost 1 OG and the MMB2. I like the BF1 OG and MMB2 about equally. The BF1 OG is better native but I love the NOS mode in the MMB2. In the end, I guess I slightly prefer the MMB2 in NOS mode. The NOS mode is easier to listen to. The MMB2 native mode can be to sharp in the treble for me and if the MMB2 did not have the NOS mode the BF1 OG would hands down be my preference. But I seem to be an outlier as others do not like the NOS mode as well.

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,393 of 1,646
I have a modded Bifrost 1 OG and the MMB2. I like the BF1 OG and MMB2 about equally. The BF1 OG is better native but I love the NOS mode in the MMB2. In the end, I guess I slightly prefer the MMB2 in NOS mode. The NOS mode is easier to listen to. The MMB2 native mode can be to sharp in the treble for me and if the MMB2 did not have the NOS mode the BF1 OG would hands down be my preference. But I seem to be an outlier as others do not like the NOS mode as well.
When I owned my Bifrost 2, I MUCH preferred NOS mode after applying the firmware update.

Aug 13, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,394 of 1,646
I love my original Bifrost Multibit, but I haven't heard the Modi Multibit 2 in NOS mode. Another item for the to-do list next time I visit the Schiitr.
When I owned my Bifrost 2, I MUCH preferred NOS mode after applying the firmware update.
Very interesting. I purchased and later returned the Bifrost 2 (too bright for me), but I haven't heard the NOS mode.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #1,395 of 1,646
I haven't been on for a while so to some personal issues, but I did do some comparative listening between the MMB1 with the upgraded ROM and and op amp upgrade to an OPA1656 which is how I purchased the unit used and was all the rage for mods on the Mimby for a while. I also acquired an Airist (for the second time) to make sure my comparison from memory that I posted earlier in the thread was reasonably accurate. I figured I would post some basic thoughts after a few side by side sessions between the MMB2, Airist, and the modded/updated MMB1.

First to the easier of the two comparisons, the Artist. The Airist was my first and only "budget" R2R DAC and it showed me enough of the potential of R2R/Multibit that it sparked a decades long love affair with the tech so it will always hold a place in my heart. That said, the Airist always had some easily noticeable (IMO) flaws including fuzzy/blurred separation, a lack of low level detail and what was there was often somewhat opaque or unclear. I also felt that as music got busier, the Airist often struggled with congestion and dynamics. That said, it had wonderful tonality and when music was in it's wheelhouse it could be a truly enjoyable DAC.

In comparison to the MMB2, I found the Artist to me inferior and clearly outmatched in basically every way possible. The MMB2 was clearer and more tonally/timbrally correct without any of the blurring or loss of low level detail. Dynamics, soundstage, separation, detail, and dynamics were leaps and bounds ahead on the MMB2. I don't want to just turn this into a bash the Airist paragraph so I'll leave it at that. If you have any specific questions though, just ask and I'll be happy to answer.

The upgraded Mimby was a much closer comparison, though I still found the MMB2 to be the better DAC by a comfortable margin though I can see why some folks love the Mimby and I intend to keep mine. First, the Mimby has a significantly warmer, borderline syrupy presentation which can sometimes be detrimental to clarity and even overwhelming depending on the music it's being fed. It's USB implementation is useless so I used a Wiim Mini on both the Mimby and the MMB2 to take advantage of bit perfect playback over the optical ports which increased the Mimby's sonic performance noticeably over USB. The MMB2 has better micro detail retrieval, better micro and macro dynamics, greater tonal and timbral accuracy and clarity. The 8x oversampling SuperComboBurrito filter on the MMB2 also seemed to provide a noticeably more balanced and refined experience than the 4x oversampling Combo Burrito filter on the Mimby. Lastly, I found the warmth and laid back presentation on the Mimby to be very hit and miss with music, while the clear, but still very musical and detailed presentation on the MMB2 matches well with everything I've ever thrown at it.

These impressions were just some of the more obvious and easy ones that stuck out to me. If you folks are interested in something more in depth or have specific questions you'd like answered don't hesitate to let me know.

I hope this was helpful and useful. All listing was done through my Schiit Lyr with a switch box that allowed for push button switching between the DACs. I listened using Hifiman HE6seV1, HE560, HE500, DCA Aeon Closed and Open X, Audeze MM-500, Sennheiser HD800S, AKG K872/K812, and ZMF VC. Though, for a short time I rotated in my Magni 3+ and ran IEMs through the rig including, Audio 64 A12t, SoftEars Twilight, ThieAudio Prestige, Orioles Szalayis, Dunu EST112, Penon Serial, and Campfire Supermoons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back