Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Jan 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #271 of 1,649
Oh, is there an adapter? Maybe the adapter isnt perfect there...but I'd still not expect any difference in data rate to affect anything. Not sure what else an adapter may do, but perhaps.
I’m using a USB C to USB A adapter plug that slips onto the USB C plug. I’ve considered that it may be affecting the sound, so I have a proper C to A cable ordered.

Jan 7, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #273 of 1,649
I’m using a USB C to USB A adapter plug that slips onto the USB C plug. I’ve considered that it may be affecting the sound, so I have a proper C to A cable ordered.
Funny timing, just a few days ago I read an article about "illegal" USB adapters. That is to say those that don't follow the official specifications. Not the adapter type in your case here, but there apparently are some that are even dangerous and could get hot/cause fires for charging. Others apparently put instructions taped to the cable in some cases that say if it doesn't work, flip it around. 🤦‍♂️ Because the ordering of the pins.

So definitely could be something there. Not necessarily a harmful scenario, but one where the data isn't being transferred properly. Worth a shot since it's a cheap attempt for a solution to continue using the port you want.

Jan 7, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #274 of 1,649
Anyone comparing the Bitfrost 2/64 to the Modi Multibit 2?

Also... would there be an advantage to connect a Bitfrost with balanced connections to balanced inputs of a Freya S if the Freya S is connected SE to a Vidar 2?

Bifrost 2/64 hits harder, has tighter/more extended bass, has more air/extension in the treble, and has a deeper stage than the modi multibit 2. The MMB2, however, seems to have a smoother mids-treble transition that isn't as "harsh", and overall feels like an easier overall listening experience. Tonality wise they are more similar than different, with the 2/64 being maybe more "U"-shaped as the extension on both ends is more audible.

I think the Bifrost 2/64 is worth the asking price, and the modi multibit 2 is also worth the asking price value-wise. The 2/64 is clearly better than the modi multibit 2 technically when a/b-ing, but in the end I think I'm probably going to sell the 2/64 and keep the MMB2 as it makes a cleaner stack with the piety. Ultimately, the modi multibit 2 crosses my baseline for "engagement factor, clarity, and resolution", whereas the original modi multibit 1 was too muddy, blurred, and warm for me, and that makes it good enough for me for the longrun.

upstream: macbook air m2
downstream: piety, JAR800

IMG_0900 Large.jpeg

Jan 7, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #276 of 1,649
Bifrost 2/64 hits harder, has tighter/more extended bass, has more air/extension in the treble, and has a deeper stage than the modi multibit 2. The MMB2, however, seems to have a smoother mids-treble transition that isn't as "harsh", and overall feels like an easier overall listening experience. Tonality wise they are more similar than different, with the 2/64 being maybe more "U"-shaped as the extension on both ends is more audible.

I think the Bifrost 2/64 is worth the asking price, and the modi multibit 2 is also worth the asking price value-wise. The 2/64 is clearly better than the modi multibit 2 technically when a/b-ing, but in the end I think I'm probably going to sell the 2/64 and keep the MMB2 as it makes a cleaner stack with the piety. Ultimately, the modi multibit 2 crosses my baseline for "engagement factor, clarity, and resolution", whereas the original modi multibit 1 was too muddy, blurred, and warm for me, and that makes it good enough for me for the longrun.

upstream: macbook air m2
downstream: piety, JAR800

IMG_0900 Large.jpeg
Talking about a cleaner stack, but uses tape to bind them together :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (just a joke)

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #278 of 1,649
Got the USB C to A cable in (just an Amazon Basics). This sounds better than using the C to C cable with the adapter. It's still not as good as using a Thunderbolt port. Now I have to decide if the convenience of the DAC not disconnecting after a few minutes when the music is paused is worth using the USB A port. Oh well.

Jan 10, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #279 of 1,649
It's here ! As always blown away by how quickly schiit get stuff down here. Must say only previously having an asgard/modius stack the MM2 is smaller than I thought yet really hefty!!
Anything in particular I should be aware of before hooking her up to my darkvoice?

Attachments

• 20230110_144519.jpg
    20230110_144519.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230110_145404.jpg
    20230110_145404.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #280 of 1,649
It's here ! As always blown away by how quickly schiit get stuff down here. Must say only previously having an asgard/modius stack the MM2 is smaller than I thought yet really hefty!!
Anything in particular I should be aware of before hooking her up to my darkvoice?
not that I can think of... I don't have a darkvoice amp though. Replace that asgard with a Monolith THX 887 and my stack looks just like your photo. Well my amp is on the bottom. :) I'm really curious to hear what you think about your modius vs the MM2.

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #281 of 1,649
not that I can think of... I don't have a darkvoice amp though. Replace that asgard with a Monolith THX 887 and my stack looks just like your photo. Well my amp is on the bottom. :) I'm really curious to hear what you think about your modius vs the MM2.
Like what I'm hearing so far. Vocals and acoustic guitars sound very forward. Will hook it to the Asgard soon and try a few favourites. Only had it running on the atom so far. Figured start with the most neutral.

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #282 of 1,649
Like what I'm hearing so far. Vocals and acoustic guitars sound very forward. Will hook it to the Asgard soon and try a few favourites. Only had it running on the atom so far. Figured start with the most neutral.
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Asgard with the MM2 because that would be my combination.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #284 of 1,649
it’s so quiet. I want more thoughts and impressions!
Well, it's good and probably the best in its price range, what else do you need to know? Don't expect it competes with TOTL DACs though, it's entry level R2R flavor DAC.

Jan 10, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #285 of 1,649
Well, it's good and probably the best in its price range, what else do you need to know? Don't expect it competes with TOTL DACs though, it's entry level R2R flavor DAC.
There’s a lot in between TOTL and entry. That’s what I want to know. Versus bifrost, Gungnir, SMSL, Topping, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back