Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Dec 28, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #121 of 1,646
Sibilance, edge and harshness are bad things all the time.

Warmth appears to come from the distortion profile having more pleasant 2nd order distortion. Is 2nd order distortion more musical? I would say yes based on my tube amps but you clearly don't want to much. Is that what the RTR dac's do? I don't think so. RTR dac's seem to decode the signal in a more musically accurate manner. D/S dac's have better and typically wonderful measurements that in the end have little correlation with the actual sound quality. D/S dac's, in my opinion measure flat and sound tipped up or to just have an excessive amount of perceived treble to me.

What we are talking about here is the original MMB is warm, engaging, darker sounding and musical. The new MMB2 appears to have changed that presentation for one that is more technically proficient ( more space, more dynamics, more clarity) and some of the people who are fans of the original have been less happy with this new version because of that. How they changed that can be with a different analog output stage, and different parts to name two methods.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #123 of 1,646
Sibilance, edge and harshness are bad things all the time.

Warmth appears to come from the distortion profile having more pleasant 2nd order distortion. Is 2nd order distortion more musical? I would say yes based on my tube amps but you clearly don't want to much. Is that what the RTR dac's do? I don't think so. RTR dac's seem to decode the signal in a more musically accurate manner. D/S dac's have better and typically wonderful measurements that in the end have little correlation with the actual sound quality. D/S dac's, in my opinion measure flat and sound tipped up or to just have an excessive amount of perceived treble to me.

What we are talking about here is the original MMB is warm, engaging and musical. The new MMB2 appears to have changed that presentation for one that is more technically proficient ( more space, more dynamics, more clarity)and some of that. people who are fans of the original have been less happy with this new version because of that.
Thanks! Super helpful. Any way to get the original?

Or are there other R2R DACs that don't cost an arm and a leg to look at?

Dec 28, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #125 of 1,646
Dacs aren't sibilant...nope. Neither are amps...
We are going to have to disagree on this point. I have cd players, dac's and amps that clearly dig out sibilance and present a harsh, etched treble with the same music and exactly the same component chain (including cables), The analog out on my Onkyo DX-390 is horrific in this regard.

Did they create the sibilance in the recording ... no. But they certainly excerbate and add emphasis to what sibilance is already there and that was my point. Listening to that DX-390 I hear sibilance on recordings that is not even detectable out of my MMB OG.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #126 of 1,646
Does MM2 come quickly up to sound after being powered off? My Gumby takes a couple days to sound its best.
Yes, it does. I thought it sounded great right from the first moment I switched it on and I didn't really notice any huge increase in SQ over the next 24 hours either.

The MM2 runs much cooler than the original MM and maybe that has something to do with it not needing much warm up time at all to sound great. :darthsmile:

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #129 of 1,646
A cross post of sorts on my thoughts left on another forum.

I spent quite a bit of time listening to the mimby 2 in NOS mode last night. I have never been one to hear the differences in soundstage or instrument placement. Perhaps it’s because I am typically multitasking while listening and not really focusing on the music or perhaps it is the mimby2.

I was listening to Jim Croce’s - 24K gold in a bottle (DCC remaster) last light and it sounds like Jim is right in front of me, about eyeball level perhaps a little higher. The instruments are a little lower in their own space. It was the best sense of 3d I think I have ever heard from a headphone, albeit the sound stage was a little closed in like they were in the same room with me. The bass is much harder to place and almost seems like it is coming from behind me, I found it very hard to pinpoint. I don’t think I have ever heard Croce or his guitar picking sound this good.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #130 of 1,646
I need to go back and read a few reviews on the new mm2. I wasn't aware that it had a brighter sound. That's why I didn't keep my Modi 3E.
So far I’m not convinced by the reviews either. Unless the clouds start parting after day 8 of their warmups…

If you are looking for a cheap upgrade on your MM try some Mogami 2549 interconnects. They synergise well with the MM.

Andrew

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #131 of 1,646
So far I’m not convinced by the reviews either. Unless the clouds start parting after day 8 of their warmups…

If you are looking for a cheap upgrade on your MM try some Mogami 2549 interconnects. They synergise well with the MM.

Andrew
Good advice. I’ve been making my own Mogami 2549 interconnects for years and they are stellar performers. They are the #1 choice for recording studios throughout the world. The cable is very high quality, affordable, and quite neutral. I can build a 1-meter set with gold-plated Neutric Rean connectors for less than $15.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #132 of 1,646

Andrew
I've had several pairs of Mogami 2549 cables for a few years now. Although I don't use them with my original Modi multibit I do use them on other DACs.
I'm looking forward to reading more responses from MM2 owners.

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #133 of 1,646
My MM2 should be here next week! Hopefully it'll pair well with piety! I don't mind excess treble tbh, as I can just compensate via EQ.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #134 of 1,646
I don't listen to classical more than about 10% of the time; mainly electronic and metal. But I'm noticing with MM2 I've been spending more time with classical music. This DAC really does very well with complex pieces involving many instruments. Violins sound very engaging and brass instruments are very well reproduced. It's just very impressive how smooth everything sounds. This is a very engaging DAC despite sounding very neutral.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #135 of 1,646
Mine is coming tomorrow gonna play around and pair with the piety. Gonne be a good time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back