Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
Jun 14, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #1,216 of 1,646
Hello sacd lover: I just read your post and since I'm looking to purchase my first Schiit dac, can you tell me your personal analysis of your new MMB2? I'm deciding whether to purchase it or the BF2/64. Thanks so much.
I know you didn't ask me, but two observations. First, if you browse through the 81 pages in this thread, you'll find a number of comments comparing the MM2 to higher end DACs, including the BF2/64. Some prefer the fancier models -- or other DACs priced at the MM2 level -- and some prefer the MM2. Second, I'm in the latter category. I had a Bifrost 2 (not the 2/64) and frankly can't tell a difference, so I stuck with the MM2, and am even thinking about buying another one for a different system in my house. But, as with all things audio, YMMV.

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,218 of 1,646
I can't tell Mimby1.2 apart from the ES card in my Lyr through headphones. Yes, it does sound slightly different, but it doesnt change the way music feels. But on speakers everything is amplified since it affects the ambiance of the sounds a lot more.

I'm gonna roll the dice on MM2 pretty soon. The price is just right for my system. At $800 the BF2/64 would cost more than my Chane A5.4 speakers and that just feels wrong lol

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,221 of 1,646
I know you didn't ask me, but two observations. First, if you browse through the 81 pages in this thread, you'll find a number of comments comparing the MM2 to higher end DACs, including the BF2/64. Some prefer the fancier models -- or other DACs priced at the MM2 level -- and some prefer the MM2. Second, I'm in the latter category. I had a Bifrost 2 (not the 2/64) and frankly can't tell a difference, so I stuck with the MM2, and am even thinking about buying another one for a different system in my house. But, as with all things audio, YMMV.
Thanks so much miistl for your input and to all those who followed - much appreciated.

I listen 2 channel and wondered if you feel that a higher end USB cord into the MMB2 is money well spent or would I be better off putting those funds into RCA's from amp to dac?

Thank you.

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #1,223 of 1,646
I have a mmb2 and it’s great. I just got the modi+ for a second system and after a few days of burn-in for the analog output I am very impressed. These dacs are excellent.
I'm thinking about a Modi+. I bought their first ES9018 DAC, the Modi 3E and didn't care for it. Maybe it was rushed after their AKM supply ran out. Perhaps a few changes were made and the Modi+ turned out better than the 3E.

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,224 of 1,646
I have a mmb2 and it’s great. I just got the modi+ for a second system and after a few days of burn-in for the analog output I am very impressed. These dacs are excellent.
Thanks adias. You now have experience with "Schiit's unison USB that's in their MMB2 and now experience with their no unison in your modi+. Would you offer some of your observations that you've found with the unison as compared to your modi+. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,225 of 1,646
I listen 2 channel and wondered if you feel that a higher end USB cord into the MMB2 is money well spent or would I be better off putting those funds into RCA's from amp to dac?
I'm not much into fancy cables, especially for digital signals. I know others may disagree. Interruption/corruption of a digital signal creates very noticeable effects -- stuttering, clicking, dropouts, etc. I've never heard a digital cable only affect tonality. OTOH, with analog signals, there are issues of resistance, inductance and capacitance between the amp and speaker, and issues of RFI for phono and line level signals, so the impact of one cable over another can be more apparent. But, cables are one of the more contentious debates in audio, so there will be no shortage of opinions on the other side. Maybe the thing for you to do is buy some cables from a company with a good return policy and find out for yourself what you hear, or don't.

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #1,226 of 1,646
I'm not much into fancy cables, especially for digital signals. I know others may disagree. Interruption/corruption of a digital signal creates very noticeable effects -- stuttering, clicking, dropouts, etc. I've never heard a digital cable only affect tonality. OTOH, with analog signals, there are issues of resistance, inductance and capacitance between the amp and speaker, and issues of RFI for phono and line level signals, so the impact of one cable over another can be more apparent. But, cables are one of the more contentious debates in audio, so there will be no shortage of opinions on the other side. Maybe the thing for you to do is buy some cables from a company with a good return policy and find out for yourself what you hear, or don't.
Good advice. Thank you.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #1,229 of 1,646
Make sure though that the USB cable is designed for data not just power. If you connect that to an Apple product it should be MFI compliant.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #1,230 of 1,646
Good advice. Thank you.
One thing that might (might!) make a difference is better isolation from the source into the MMB.
If it's a computer with a noisy USB bus, for example, some of that noise will adversely affect things,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back