Schiit Modi Multibit 2 DAC
May 12, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #1,156 of 1,646
It took me a while to enjoy the sound of it. At first I thought that it was too bright. Over time I came to appreciate it more. Maybe that's what you need to do is give it some time. Or not. This hobby is very subjective. Everyone's ears are different.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #1,157 of 1,646
It took me a while to enjoy the sound of it. A first I thought that it was too bright. Over time I came to appreciate it more. Maybe that's what you need to do is give it some time. Or not. This hobby is very subjective. Everyone's ears are different.
I've had it for over a month, using it almost everyday. There are some areas where it falls short to my taste, like the ones I mentioned in my previous post. But at the end of the day, with headphones I prefer it to other ESS dacs I have at home.
With speakers in my main system (main as in bigger, I guess, because I listen to music mostly on headphones...) the differences in resolution and texture are more apparent and I prefer the ESS dacs. Not great ones, just an OPPO BDP 105 and the Aune X1S GT I mentioned in my previous post.

May 12, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,158 of 1,646
I'm not saying I don't like the MMB2
You don't like the MMB2........... LOL jk.
There is also less "air", specially obvious in tracks where you can feel the studio
I do find this is a common theme when switching between delta sigma dacs vs R2R dacs. Whenever I try R2R dacs it always feel like there is a roll off in treble and as a result you hear less of that ambient air in the room. Like you know when the mic is on and recording nothing but you hear that tiny tiny ssssssssssss. Usually it's more evident with delta sigma dacs.

That being said, I did find MMB2 being Multibit dac has a presentation somewhat in the middle between delta sigma and R2R. So I didn't notice much issues regarding air with MMB2? But I don't have it with me anymore so I can't say for sure (sold it because I wanted more mids and thicker/richer sound so currently exploring other options). :joy:
It would be great to know how the MMB2 compares in those regards (bass definition and airy presentation) with the Bifrost 2/64.
Not sure if he talked about bass definition but he did give a general MMB2 vs Bifrost 2/64 comaprison.

May 12, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,159 of 1,646
But at the end of the day, with headphones I prefer it to other ESS dacs I have at home.
LOL glad I'm not the only one, I kept thinking I must be crazy. I've tried the following:

Schiit Modi 3+
Schiit Modi Multibit 1
Schiit Modi Multibit 2
Schiit Bifrost 2 OG (borrow from friend)
Grace M9XX
Burson Playmate 2
Soekris 1541
Denafrips Ares II
Musician Draco

And now I'm back to using Grace SDAC LOLLLLL (yes I have issues), I either have poor taste or bad ears. :joy:

EDIT: I have SMSL SU-1 and Geshelli J2 AKM on order.

May 12, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #1,160 of 1,646
LOL glad I'm not the only one, I kept thinking I must be crazy. I've tried the following:

Schiit Modi 3+
Schiit Modi Multibit 1
Schiit Modi Multibit 2
Schiit Bifrost 2 OG (borrow from friend)
Grace M9XX
Burson Playmate 2
Soekris 1541
Denafrips Ares II
Musician Draco

And now I'm back to using Grace SDAC LOLLLLL (yes I have issues), I either have poor taste or bad ears. :joy:

EDIT: I have SMSL SU-1 and Geshelli J2 AKM on order.
I loved the SDAC! I don't have it here, it's at my mother in law's house, in the US, but I always thought that was a terrific dac.

May 12, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #1,161 of 1,646
You don't like the MMB2........... LOL jk.

I do find this is a common theme when switching between delta sigma dacs vs R2R dacs. Whenever I try R2R dacs it always feel like there is a roll off in treble and as a result you hear less of that ambient air in the room. Like you know when the mic is on and recording nothing but you hear that tiny tiny ssssssssssss. Usually it's more evident with delta sigma dacs.

That being said, I did find MMB2 being Multibit dac has a presentation somewhat in the middle between delta sigma and R2R. So I didn't notice much issues regarding air with MMB2? But I don't have it with me anymore so I can't say for sure (sold it because I wanted more mids and thicker/richer sound so currently exploring other options). :joy:

Not sure if he talked about bass definition but he did give a general MMB2 vs Bifrost 2/64 comaprison.

It could be that roll off in treble, although it's interesting I don't perceive as much a roll off in that area, but a slight push in the mids. Which, sure, could affect how I perceive other frequencies. Often, specially with very busy tracks, I found that the little extra depth gave me a better sense of resolution, if only because better layering was helping identify certain instruments and their respective position better.
So, you win some, lose some.
Lachlan didn't mention the bass definition in that video. I will ask him.

May 12, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,163 of 1,646
I loved the SDAC! I don't have it here, it's at my mother in law's house, in the US, but I always thought that was a terrific dac.
Yeah I could honestly be ok with this. But our brain always want something new incoming to feed that boredom. Hence why I have SMSL SU-1 and Geshelli J2 on the way, but after that I might just pick 1 (out of the 3) and call it done.

I know my dac journey is all over the place. :joy:
So, you win some, lose some.
Basically that's what I find so far, regardless of price. I haven't find 1 that's best for everything.
Lachlan didn't mention the bass definition in that video. I will ask him.
Yeah definitely shoot him a message, last time I asked him something he was super helpful.
MM2 works well in my modest headphone setup. I prefer it over the MM1. No desire to ever spend money on a DAC again.
lol glad you've reached the end game (for you). I feel like I've already hit that point with headphone and amp (where I have no desire to upgrade), dac is getting close for me, almost there....

May 12, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #1,165 of 1,646
I'm not saying I don't like the MMB2, but I was listening to Daft Punk's 10th anniversary Random Access Memories and it felt like the bass was very loose, lacking definition. I took out the Aune X1S GT, and switching between the MMB2 and the X1S GT, it was obvious the bass was much better, with way more definition and without that soft lack of physicality (for lack of a much better way to put it).
There is also less "air", specially obvious in tracks where you can feel the studio, like Neil Young's On The Beach. There's this kind of halo around Neil's microphone that is almost totally missing on the MMB2, whereas the modest X1S GT can render it. I'm not saying the MMB2 is bad, just that that extra depth (not huge, but noticeable) comes at a cost, I guess.
EDIT: It would be great to know how the MMB2 compares in those regards (bass definition and airy presentation) with the Bifrost 2/64. I would upgrade to the Bifrost 2 or any other more expensive dac (within reason, 1000 euros is more than enough for me) that gave me that as well as the depth of the MMB2.
It's not hard to guess the 2/64 probably does them much better, but I don't recall the Bifrost 2 OG as specially textured in the bass. Anyway, if someone happens to have both and wants to add, it would be great. Thanks!
Are your observations for filter mode or NOS? If filter, you may want try NOS.

May 12, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #1,166 of 1,646
Interesting back and forth -- my experience is that I'm generally initially more impressed with DS DACs. First impression is that they seem a bit more detailed and etched, but it doesn't take very long for that to wear on me. R2R/mulitbit DACs seems to have a more relaxed quality to them, and it doesn't take very long for these DACs to sound more natural to me, with more 3D depth.

That said, I could easily live with most of the reasonably priced DACs I've heard. But, if I have a choice, I'll go with a multibit.

May 13, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #1,167 of 1,646
Are your observations for filter mode or NOS? If filter, you may want try NOS.
Good question.
Most of my listening is done filtered.
In NOS, there is a little more of that air that is missing in the burrito mode, but you lose some naturalness in timbre as well as some depth.
I have to compare NOS and OS with a little more attention.

May 13, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,168 of 1,646
Interesting back and forth -- my experience is that I'm generally initially more impressed with DS DACs. First impression is that they seem a bit more detailed and etched, but it doesn't take very long for that to wear on me. R2R/mulitbit DACs seems to have a more relaxed quality to them, and it doesn't take very long for these DACs to sound more natural to me, with more 3D depth.

That said, I could easily live with most of the reasonably priced DACs I've heard. But, if I have a choice, I'll go with a multibit.
This has been my impression, too, although my experience with R2R is limited to Bifrost 2, EF400, MMB2. I haven't experienced any of the higher tier R2R dacs. Sometimes the depth in the Bifrost 2 OG sounded weird, though. Since it pushes some frequencies to the back of the stage, I remember listening to a recording of Beethoven's piano sonatas and it made it sound like the left hand notes where behind the right hand. It didn't feel natural, but then everything in your face like most DS dacs do doesn't, either.

May 13, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,169 of 1,646
This has been my impression, too, although my experience with R2R is limited to Bifrost 2, EF400, MMB2. I haven't experienced any of the higher tier R2R dacs.
OH how did you like the EF400? I've read one person saying it worked really well as a dac and feed into Lyr+ (I have Lyr 3). Been thinking to give it a try. Though granted, like all things probably preference still play a huge role.

Otherwise in terms of technicality, another person mentioned that not enough treble or treble detail is an issue in "lower tier" R2R dacs. I guess in the R2R scale Bifrost 2 / MMB2 .......etc is consider low. When he says "higher tier" he's probably referring to Holo Spring / Denafrips Pontus 2 / Schiit Yggdrasil level. Which.... is too rich for my wallet haha. I'm going backwards and buying cheaper and cheaper LOL.

May 13, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,170 of 1,646
OH how did you like the EF400? I've read one person saying it worked really well as a dac and feed into Lyr+ (I have Lyr 3). Been thinking to give it a try. Though granted, like all things probably preference still play a huge role.

Otherwise in terms of technicality, another person mentioned that not enough treble or treble detail is an issue in "lower tier" R2R dacs. I guess in the R2R scale Bifrost 2 / MMB2 .......etc is consider low. When he says "higher tier" he's probably referring to Holo Spring / Denafrips Pontus 2 / Schiit Yggdrasil level. Which.... is too rich for my wallet haha. I'm going backwards and buying cheaper and cheaper LOL.
I'm retired so my wallet, especially with this economy, is on thin side. I love Schiit because of their excellent offerings at a fair price. $300 for a DAC of the caliber of the MM2 is terrific. In my opinion a better DAC than the MM1 or Bifrost multibit that I've owned. I recently bought a Vahalla 2 and I really like it. I've owned the Asgard 2 and 3. A Magni 3 too. Keep it up Schiit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back