Schiit: Modi 3+ vs Bifrost Multibit Gen5 for an Asgard 3
Apr 1, 2021 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NU2DIS

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I am getting an Asgard 3 really soon and trying to pick the best DAC (and headphones) to go with it, so here are my two options:

- Getting a Bifrost 1 Multibit Gen 5 for 380€ (usd445) but keeping my DT990 (which I think will give me a headache pretty quickly)

- Getting a Modi 3+ and a Hifiman Sundara for 370€ (usd434).

Which one do you think would be the best option?

Thank you very much for your help!

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm in the camp of pick headphones over DACs or AMPs. If you are not happy with your DT990, picking a different set of headphones that are more suited to your liking will make a bigger difference than a dac or amp. Some of the newer but lower tier AMPs and DACs are so good that you don't really need to go any higher. The law of diminishing returns is greater with modern AMPS and DACs compared to headphones.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Yeah if you want to stay within the Schiit family a Modi 3+ is great or maybe a Modius just because your Schiit stack would look cooler.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 16
Yes, I love my family.

I’ve initially bought a Modius on th 9th March but due to stock issues, they wouldn’t have been able to ship it out before the 22nd so I canceled the order and saved the money to then the modi 3+
Is there a really big sound difference ?

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 16
Hello guys,

I am getting an Asgard 3 really soon and trying to pick the best DAC (and headphones) to go with it, so here are my two options:

- Getting a Bifrost 1 Multibit Gen 5 for 380€ (usd445) but keeping my DT990 (which I think will give me a headache pretty quickly)

- Getting a Modi 3+ and a Hifiman Sundara for 370€ (usd434).

Which one do you think would be the best option?

Thank you very much for your help!
I would advise against that used Bifrost MB 1 for USD445, as it is outdated. I think you're better of getting the Modius for USD200 brand spankin new and sounds great. And it is a great pairing with Asgard 3.

Otherwise Modi 3+ is a solid choice as well, if you don't need balanced.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 16
I would advise against that used Bifrost MB 1 for USD445, as it is outdated. I think you're better of getting the Modius for USD200 brand spankin new and sounds great. And it is a great pairing with Asgard 3.

Thank you for your reply, as I mentioned earlier, I've first ordered a modius but due to delay, i had to cancel it, they wouldn't ship it out before the 22nd. Do the difference worth the waiting?

I don't need balanced.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 16

A quick add, please let me know if you know a place selling the modius right now (online)

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 16
I haven't compared the two but I doubt there is a significant sound difference between the Modi and the Modius. The Modius is a balanced DAC so if you ever want to upgrade your whole system to running a balanced connection then Modius would be the better pick. But your Asgard is single ended connection so a Modi would be just fine.
If you don't plan on upgrading your Asgard any time soon I would just go with the Modi.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Thank you for your reply, as I mentioned earlier, I've first ordered a modius but due to delay, i had to cancel it, they wouldn't ship it out before the 22nd. Do the difference worth the waiting?

I don't need balanced.
Hhmm.....it depends on a lot of things. But I think, if you really don't need balanced, I don't think it matter that much. Modi 3+ is fine.

But if I were you, I would wait for the Modius. Tonality is very similar, but Modius gives you slightly more detail and clarity. And It's a more complete package. Will give you the flexibility should you wish to go balanced one day.

Both are really great value and sound. You can't go wrong with either one.

I'm waiting for my Bifrost 2 as well. It's a long wait and trying to be patient :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back