Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Oct 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,531 of 3,541
Quote:

Haha ive been doing alot of pondering the last couple days prepoman. I really really like the stax, but i really cant justify the cost. I also enjoy the HE-6s, but not only have i not had the chance to compare it to the LCD-3, but i realized that i really dont have the space for an amp for the HE-6s either, i want something that will fit on my desk, and none of the amps i was looking at for the HE-6s will fit. I also want to be able to take them with me places, and its just not feasable to do so with the HE-6s. So its not that i dont like them, just that the LCD-3s are probably the best cans i can get that will fit what i want. And since i loved the LCD-2, im pretty sure i will enjoy the LCD-3s as well.

And i guess i cant say that i havent heard the lcd-3, but the one pair i have heard were veiled :frowning2:

Im also mostly just realizing that i want to have money for other hobbies as well :p thats whats stopping me from geting the stax for the most part.

I do understand.  But as Solude said the LCD-2.2 may just be more enjoyable, especially for the music you like.  That bass will serve you well.  They say the MJ and the LCD-2.2 are a really great match.

Anyway if you want the listen to the LCD-2.2s you and HC can come on over.   I got the GS-X coming but who knows when it will get here.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,532 of 3,541
If the D2 is like the D1 but with balanced outs and slightly better than you have a heck of a unit there. I think I might save up some and buy the D2 down the line with the Mjolnir as the amp and the D1 as a stand alone unit for headphones that are not balanced.

Also I don't think the HE6 with the Mjolnir is surprisingly good. It won't be the best you will ever hear but still pretty good. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,533 of 3,541
Quote:

I do understand.  But as Solude said the LCD-2.2 may just be more enjoyable, especially for the music you like.  That bass will serve you well.  They say the MJ and the LCD-2.2 are a really great match.

Anyway if you want the listen to the LCD-2.2s you and HC can come on over.   I got the GS-X coming but who knows when it will get here.

Well im always down for a mini meet with you guys. specially now that ive got the D2, and its good an run in, its got at least several hundred hours on it by now. i use it almost constantly. Yeah i really like the LCD-2s, i just never got the feeling they were better than my 13s, whereas i think with a set of the final version of the LCD-3s that they will be. i really need to hear them. i hope i can make it to CHiUniFi again in november.

Quote:
If the D2 is like the D1 but with balanced outs and slightly better than you have a heck of a unit there. I think I might save up some and buy the D2 down the line with the Mjolnir as the amp and the D1 as a stand alone unit for headphones that are not balanced.

Also I don't think the HE6 with the Mjolnir is surprisingly good. It won't be the best you will ever hear but still pretty good. 

Yeah i really really really like the D2. and that was exactly my plan, get the mjolnir for use with the LCD-3s and then just use the internal amp for my customs, sicne they sound pretty spectacular out of it. And actually, i would probably run the LCD-3s off of it as well till i got the mjolnir, since i cant afford the mjolnir and the LCD-3s at the same time, and a mjolnir with no headphones does me no good, i can at least use the LCD-3s with the internal amp till i can order the mjolnir a bit down the line.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,534 of 3,541
IEM and open completely different.  I quite like my UM3X but need an open headphone to hear the kids so... meh.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,535 of 3,541
     Quote:
IEM and open completely different.  I quite like my UM3X but need an open headphone to hear the kids so... meh.

Fair enough. But i do somewhat compare them, and the first full sized can i ever heard that i thought was as good, was the LCD-2, not the HD800, not the t1s, and not the denons and not the sr-007s. So i think the LCD-3s will make a happy camper, and actually exceed the 13s i have since they are better than the lcd-2s. but i really do need to hear them.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,536 of 3,541
I've been reading up on the Mjolnir but haven't come across any comparisons vs. the GS-1.

The only reason to keep a GS-1 over the Mjolnir is if, one you have no balanced cables, and two you prefer a more laid back presentation.  The Mjolnir bests the GS-1 everywhere, assuming you like an active presentation.  Frankly its not even close.

All my sources are unbalanced so input will be single-ended.

Have you (or anyone else) tried both the SE and XLR inputs?

Will there be a degradation in sound quality by going SE?

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,538 of 3,541
^ Well, you could try 'Search This Thread'.

I did, using "Mjolnir Lyr" and got this post off the first page of results.

I'm sure you could think of better searches.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,539 of 3,541
The Mjolnir is a big step up from Lyr. I wanted to check out Alo's amps at RMAF, but missed out on it, sadly.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #1,540 of 3,541
Differential input doesn't care what you feed it you get balanced out.  That said, balanced sources sometimes have gimp single ended outputs so use balanced if you can.  I personally heard no difference with the W4S single ended or balanced.  PWD2 crowd favours the balanced input.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #1,541 of 3,541
Quote:
Differential input doesn't care what you feed it you get balanced out.  That said, balanced sources sometimes have gimp single ended outputs so use balanced if you can.  I personally heard no difference with the W4S single ended or balanced.  PWD2 crowd favours the balanced input.

That was most liklely the Molinjir...with the GS-X, there is a very good improvement balanced vs. single-ended with the W4S DAC-2.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,542 of 3,541
Quote:

Youre definitely right, the mjolnir doesnt care if the input is balanced or not. What matters is whether the balanced and single ended outputs of your source are of equivilant quality, and many times, the balanced output is higher quality

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,543 of 3,541
Quote:

Well im always down for a mini meet with you guys. specially now that ive got the D2, and its good an run in, its got at least several hundred hours on it by now. i use it almost constantly. Yeah i really like the LCD-2s, i just never got the feeling they were better than my 13s, whereas i think with a set of the final version of the LCD-3s that they will be. i really need to hear them. i hope i can make it to CHiUniFi again in november.

Yeah i really really really like the D2. and that was exactly my plan, get the mjolnir for use with the LCD-3s and then just use the internal amp for my customs, sicne they sound pretty spectacular out of it. And actually, i would probably run the LCD-3s off of it as well till i got the mjolnir, since i cant afford the mjolnir and the LCD-3s at the same time, and a mjolnir with no headphones does me no good, i can at least use the LCD-3s with the internal amp till i can order the mjolnir a bit down the line.

For me is quite the opposite..even tho I love my JH3A system and my JH13s they are quite behind my desktop rig Yulong D18 balanced DAC - Mjolnir -HD800 with Bellatone Reference balanced cable

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,544 of 3,541
Quote:
For me is quite the opposite..even tho I love my JH3A system and my JH13s they are quite behind my desktop rig Yulong D18 balanced DAC - Mjolnir -HD800 with Bellatone Reference balanced cable

This is one of the awesome things about the hobby, we have so many high end options, that there is something for everyone, becuase everyone is looking for something different. some people love hd800s, and hate lcd-2/3s. some people love beyers and hate stax, some people love hifimans and hate ultrasones, but its awesome cuase theres something for everyone :D

...though maybe hate is a bit too strong of a word
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,545 of 3,541
Quote:

This is one of the awesome things about the hobby, we have so many high end options, that there is something for everyone, becuase everyone is looking for something different. some people love hd800s, and hate lcd-2/3s. some people love beyers and hate stax, some people love hifimans and hate ultrasones, but its awesome cuase theres something for everyone :D

...though maybe hate is a bit too strong of a word
biggrin.gif

Hehe you are right..I think I have what Im looking for both in portable,desktop and office rigs..but who knows I said the same thing a year ago when I got the JH3A and now a year latter I have taken the plunge into the full size headphones world and my wallet doesnt like it at all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back