Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #2,446 of 2,798
I basically agree with the posts above this one. If you got a MJ3, it may not be dramatically greater, since you'll be limited by your DAC, but you'll really notice when you get the Yggdrasil later on.
I don't believe that yggdrasil will ever be in my list, the cost is really prohibitive. Here in New Zealand it is like 5.4k nzd. Which is 2.5 times more of my annual budget (budgets cannot be accumulated through years).
Thanks everyone for the advices. Now I need to wait when our local dealer get new mjolnirs in stock

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #2,447 of 2,798
I don't believe that yggdrasil will ever be in my list, the cost is really prohibitive. Here in New Zealand it is like 5.4k nzd. Which is 2.5 times more of my annual budget (budgets cannot be accumulated through years).
Thanks everyone for the advices. Now I need to wait when our local dealer get new mjolnirs in stock

It's only when you have to fly to Texas as part of your planned US vacation trip now (I hope they'll have their own Schiitr there since they're moving out of California) where you can pick it up and fly it back to your hometown and declare under NZD 1k value so you don't pay import duty. Definitely cheaper that way even if you would pay Texas taxes upfront

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #2,448 of 2,798
Just received my new MJ3 in - sounding pretty dang good however, not sure if it is almost $1k better than the Pietus Maximus I currently use. I've got 580JAR headphones and my chain may be at the ceiling of what they are capable of. With the MIB, it sounds utterly glorious.. The PM is a little bit more euphonic and smoother while MJ3 has more sub bass and a bit more room between instruments. MJ3 has small gains in detail, resolving ability and other areas as well. When I was using BF2 OG the MJ3 really opened things up with a huge sense of space when compared to the PM, yet when switching to MIB Yggdrasil things opened up on the PM! To the point that MJ3 doesn't bring as much of a gain to the table. Suffice to say, I may just stick with the Pietus. I've no intention to upgrade headphones, so I may have just found my spot in this audio chase to call it golden.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #2,449 of 2,798
Just received my new MJ3 in - sounding pretty dang good however, not sure if it is almost $1k better than the Pietus Maximus I currently use. I've got 580JAR headphones and my chain may be at the ceiling of what they are capable of. With the MIB, it sounds utterly glorious.. The PM is a little bit more euphonic and smoother while MJ3 has more sub bass and a bit more room between instruments. MJ3 has small gains in detail, resolving ability and other areas as well. When I was using BF2 OG the MJ3 really opened things up with a huge sense of space when compared to the PM, yet when switching to MIB Yggdrasil things opened up on the PM! To the point that MJ3 doesn't bring as much of a gain to the table. Suffice to say, I may just stick with the Pietus. I've no intention to upgrade headphones, so I may have just found my spot in this audio chase to call it golden.
Knowing when to be content is a great skill. Upgraditis is a bad head fi disease…

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #2,450 of 2,798
Headphones dude…seriously lol

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #2,451 of 2,798
JAR580s are a seriously good headphone for dynamics, while they do max out.. JAR series cans are very, very good.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #2,452 of 2,798
I think we found someone who has never heard a Sennheiser modded by JAR, modded himself or heard them scale with a totl system... lol

Edit: Hearing a well modded Sennheiser puts the whole bloated headphone market in quite an ugly perspective rather quickly...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #2,453 of 2,798
That JAR drives circles around anything I can see there in terms of tone, timbre, microdynamics, mid linearity etc

Be more open minded and less defensive

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #2,455 of 2,798
@Currawong , have you ever listened for Java Hifi single-shot? I have an option to get one second hand and wonder maybe you had some experience or thoughts about it compared to Mjolnir. it is a d-class integrated LDR Gan-fet.
Never even heard of it! I'm not a fan of Class D anyway.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #2,456 of 2,798
That JAR drives circles around anything I can see there in terms of tone, timbre, microdynamics, mid linearity etc

Be more open minded and less defensive
I don’t care what you do to a 580/600/650, unless your completely replacing the driver, just not my cup of tea i suppose lol and on that note, 6XX going up for sale today if anyone’s interested lol literally haven’t touched it in over a year

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #2,457 of 2,798
Quote a line from the movie "Arrival" 2016

Language is the foundation of civilization. It is a glue thats holds people together, and it is the first weapon drawn in a conflict.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #2,458 of 2,798
I don’t care what you do to a 580/600/650, unless your completely replacing the driver, just not my cup of tea i suppose lol and on that note, 6XX going up for sale today if anyone’s interested lol literally haven’t touched it in over a year
I could not like the 650 on any solid-stated amplifiers until I got a tube amp lol . If you cannot get a tube amp you better buy another headphone that will be almost much better than your 6xx . This was my experience

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #2,459 of 2,798
I could not like the 650 on any solid-stated amplifiers until I got a tube amp lol . If you cannot get a tube amp you better buy another headphone that will be almost much better than your 6xx . This was my experience
That’s like my Grados. They can’t do well on SS amps at all. Even a Lyr 3 tube amp drives them better than my more expensive SS amp.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #2,460 of 2,798
Run the MJ3 a week, make sure it has been playing for at least a couple of hours prior to listening, then re-assess - I am actually curious about a critical comparison of the MJ3 to PM. I am CD60->BF2/64->Lokius->MJ3->E3 (XLR), and have experienced some of the best listening in my life, but warm up time, volume level, and time in the session all seem to make a difference. I have found that louder volume is necessary on my setup to get the vocals balanced with the instruments. But, man once it comes together, I just sit and listen for hours. That is the real test for me, if I don't want to leave to do something else, it means I am engaged and in awe. But, I have been wondering about the PM for a small secondary setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back