Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #2,401 of 2,802
Wait has Gungnir 2 been said to be an all in one? Because if so I’d certainly pass and order a garage sale yggy+…the original Gungnir is a dedicated dac, no on board amp, I’d hope he isn’t changing that. I wouldn’t shoot it down as it will have a target audience, that audience just wouldn’t include me as I’m looking for a dedicated dac upgrade.
Oh damn, I was mistaking the Gungnir for Ragnarok. Man, there are so many bloody Schiit products! I can't keep track of them all! lol

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #2,402 of 2,802

Just wanted to leave this here guys, and to touch back up on wavetheory’s review. It just still seems tainted to me, but to each his own. Furthermore, I’d hate for his review to steer people away from something great. Remember, he’s the ONLY one who’s stated what he stated in his review after having to pay for his unit out of pocket. Not to mention he still has the prelude that hifiman sent him for “an honest review” months later and doesn’t think the MJ3 competes with it but I’m here to tell you that i believe it does, easily…and I’ve heard both. Get one while you can people! Do not be discouraged.

IMG_3672.jpeg
Just wanted to leave this here guys, and to touch back up on wavetheory’s review. It just still seems tainted to me, but to each his own. Furthermore, I’d hate for his review to steer people away from something great. Remember, he’s the ONLY one who’s stated what he stated in his review after having to pay for his unit out of pocket. Not to mention he still has the prelude that hifiman sent him for “an honest review” months later and doesn’t think the MJ3 competes with it but I’m here to tell you that i believe it does, easily…and I’ve heard both. Get one while you can people! Do not be discouraged.
I noticed on wavetheory YouTube review of SMSL PL200 cd player he states that it has ESS Sabre dac and edgy sound. PL200 actually has AK4499 chip and velvet sound. Questionable diligence for a “reviewer”.

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #2,403 of 2,802
I noticed on wavetheory YouTube review of SMSL PL200 cd player he states that it has ESS Sabre dac and edgy sound. PL200 actually has AK4499 chip and velvet sound. Questionable diligence for a “reviewer”.
Yea thats a bit odd. My thing is this, we are all entitled to have preference when things like tuning are concerned, but when you get to comparing things like detail, layering, holography, etc...its just weird when your the only one who feels that way, like what exactly are you hearing? lol

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #2,404 of 2,802
Now that the honey moon period is over with the Mentor, I’m back to my MJ3. It may not be as good as the Mentor for the HEK and Susvara, but it shines well for my Grado dynamic headphones. The smooth timbre of the MJ3 can’t be reproduced by the Mentor at all and the Grados sounds so dry on it. I also realized why the Lokius is a great buy. The synergy it has with the MJ3 is awesome.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #2,405 of 2,802
Now that the honey moon period is over with the Mentor, I’m back to my MJ3. It may not be as good as the Mentor for the HEK and Susvara, but it shines well for my Grado dynamic headphones. The smooth timbre of the MJ3 can’t be reproduced by the Mentor at all and the Grados sounds so dry on it. I also realized why the Lokius is a great buy. The synergy it has with the MJ3 is awesome.
The timbre is so good, it might be my favorite thing about the MJ3…it’s good to have you back psy, even if its just for a short while as I’m sure you’ll be missing the mentor at some point. I continue to envy you lol

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #2,406 of 2,802
The timbre is so good, it might be my favorite thing about the MJ3…it’s good to have you back psy, even if its just for a short while as I’m sure you’ll be missing the mentor at some point. I continue to envy you lol
Thanks! I was thinking about getting the Mass Kobo 465, but after getting the dual Mentor, Lyr 3, and MJ3 I felt satisfied. Overall, I think I’m done with all the upgrades. I might go for a 300B tube amp in the future but I don’t think any of them can replicate the MJ3 signature sound.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #2,407 of 2,802
I've been reading your MJ3 / dual mentor journey with interest. I don't suppose you could explain what you use the lokius with the MJ3 to tweak? Thanks

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #2,408 of 2,802
I've been reading your MJ3 / dual mentor journey with interest. I don't suppose you could explain what you use the lokius with the MJ3 to tweak? Thanks
The MJ is great in timbre and bass but often the mid can be a bit lacking in authority and the high can be a bit loose causing it to hiss at loud volumes. I don’t stay with one sound for too long (Bad ADHD here) as I get bored.

I tame the high hiss with Lyr 3 tube preamp. The Lokius will tighten the bass a bit and also boost the mid just slightly more giving a bigger soundstage. It may work with software EQ but that’s a pain to set each song. A knob twist is much more convenient.

For those wondering if the Lokius will cause sound degradation, there is a bypass switch on the Lokius. You can flip it back and forth to see if it does. For the most part I haven’t noticed any such issue. This saves me money from needing expensive kilo bucks cables.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #2,409 of 2,802
The MJ is great in timbre and bass but often the mid can be a bit lacking in authority and the high can be a bit loose causing it to hiss at loud volumes. I don’t stay with one sound for too long (Bad ADHD here) as I get bored.

I tame the high hiss with Lyr 3 tube preamp. The Lokius will tighten the bass a bit and also boost the mid just slightly more giving a bigger soundstage. It may work with software EQ but that’s a pain to set each song. A knob twist is much more convenient.

For those wondering if the Lokius will cause sound degradation, there is a bypass switch on the Lokius. You can flip it back and forth to see if it does. For the most part I haven’t noticed any such issue. This saves me money from needing expensive kilo bucks cables.
Thanks. I found the Burson Soloist 3XGT too dry and far prefer the life of the MJ3, and as you've heard both MJ3/FM and found the Mentor too dry I think that ends my curiosity in it.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #2,410 of 2,802
Thanks. I found the Burson Soloist 3XGT too dry and far prefer the life of the MJ3, and as you've heard both MJ3/FM and found the Mentor too dry I think that ends my curiosity in it.
That depends on your headphone. Mentor is great for Planars but too dry for dynamic ones. MJ3 is great for dynamic but a bit weak for planars. It may even seems like the Mentor was made with the Susvara headphone as their standard. Either way they are both great amps, just different flavors and gear synergy.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #2,412 of 2,802
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #2,413 of 2,802
Now, Meze Elite with Mjolnir 3, that's a question!
I wasn't much of a fan of Elite on Mj3. Too much excess low end. I'm not sure where in the FR, but there was this constant droning bass in the sound. The comparison I use is it was like listening to music with a space heater blowing the whole time. Incredibly annoying tuning. I'm just not sure if it's Mj3 or Elite that's to blame for that.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #2,414 of 2,802
I wasn't much of a fan of Elite on Mj3. Too much excess low end. I'm not sure where in the FR, but there was this constant droning bass in the sound. The comparison I use is it was like listening to music with a space heater blowing the whole time. Incredibly annoying tuning. I'm just not sure if it's Mj3 or Elite that's to blame for that.
As a counter to that, I find the Elite/MJ3 combo to be the best I've ever heard the Elite. I use the Angled Alcantara pads, and these substantially clean up the mid-bass vs the stock Hybrid pads. The chain also plays a big role, and I noticed a big jump in bass clarity when I upgraded from an OG BF2 to a Yggy A2.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #2,415 of 2,802
As a counter to that, I find the Elite/MJ3 combo to be the best I've ever heard the Elite. I use the Angled Alcantara pads, and these substantially clean up the mid-bass vs the stock Hybrid pads. The chain also plays a big role, and I noticed a big jump in bass clarity when I upgraded from an OG BF2 to a Yggy A2.
That's an important point to make. I have no clue what pads were on the Elite I got to listen to so ymmv heavily. I should have shared that earlier. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back