Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #2,371 of 2,833
I haven’t heard either of them. What i mean is that they’re DAC’s of the same nature and at those price points with diminishing returns you’d be really hard pressed to notice any improvements in quality, signature sure, but quality no.
I have a hard enough time noticing the difference in quality between the Bifrost and Yggy, but i do notice it.
If you had listened to them then you'd know there is a difference. They are not the same.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #2,372 of 2,833
If you had listened to them then you'd know there is a difference. They are not the same.
You must of read my response incorrectly, and if you think that you can hear the technical advantages a Terminator has over a Venus over headphones, then you are truly a supremus my good friend.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #2,373 of 2,833
Also, if we’re talking strictly headphones…the odds of you being able to tell the difference between a Venus and Terminator are close to impossible. You’re a lot more likely to pick up any notable differences on a good speaker set up. We fool ourselves into believing that we can hear a difference most of the time lol with that being said, I’m here for all of it lol lol
I'm curious if you've ever heard both DACs?
I haven’t heard either of them. What i mean is that they’re DAC’s of the same nature and at those price points with diminishing returns you’d be really hard pressed to notice any improvements in quality, signature sure, but quality no.
I have a hard enough time noticing the difference in quality between the Bifrost and Yggy, but i do notice it.
Then you cannot possibly make such a statement since you have not heard either DAC. Having heard other things is not having heard "those" DACs, no matter how you try to explain it.

Peace :sunglasses:

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #2,375 of 2,833
You must of read my response incorrectly, and if you think that you can hear the technical advantages a Terminator has over a Venus over headphones, then you are truly a supremus my good friend.

Anything is possible. Perhaps reiterate your point? If I have grasped the stick by the wrong end then I'll be happy to apologise.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #2,376 of 2,833
Anything is possible. Perhaps reiterate your point? If I have grasped the stick by the wrong end then I'll be happy to apologise.
My point was that you’d be hard pressed to notice a difference in QUALITY via headphones, that’s literally it lol have you heard them side by side going into the same amp via HEADPHONES? I’m really curious to know that

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #2,377 of 2,833
deleted*

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #2,378 of 2,833
Not sure if this is interesting to anyone else, but I designed a 3d printable cooler/fan shroud for the MJ3 for those of us who place it in more enclosed spaces and would like to keep it cool. Even with fairly little airflow and no noise due to the low fan speeds, I'm seeing about 30F reduction in temps at the heat sinks as measured by my IR gun. Due to the position of the heat sinks and rear ports, you can use the XLR/RCA inputs, but not outputs.

https://www.printables.com/model/832570-schiit-mjolnir-3-cooler

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #2,379 of 2,833
My point was that you’d be hard pressed to notice a difference in QUALITY via headphones, that’s literally it lol have you heard them side by side going into the same amp via HEADPHONES? I’m really curious to know that
Yes. And yes I could hear an improvement. It wasn't huge, but there. Whether that is worth the cost delta is down to each of us to decide.

What I haven't heard, and want to, is the Terminator with clocks feeding the Arcas streamer into my MZ3.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #2,380 of 2,833
Huh missed an email on Wednesday saying my MJ3 shipped, arrives Tuesday and my Yggy arrives back from service on Thursday, going to be a fun week :D

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #2,383 of 2,833
IMG_3672.jpeg
Just wanted to leave this here guys, and to touch back up on wavetheory’s review. It just still seems tainted to me, but to each his own. Furthermore, I’d hate for his review to steer people away from something great. Remember, he’s the ONLY one who’s stated what he stated in his review after having to pay for his unit out of pocket. Not to mention he still has the prelude that hifiman sent him for “an honest review” months later and doesn’t think the MJ3 competes with it but I’m here to tell you that i believe it does, easily…and I’ve heard both. Get one while you can people! Do not be discouraged.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #2,384 of 2,833
Moral of the story: never take one man's opinion as a gospel. We all have biases and preferences and as such, demoing and A/Bing at home with your system is the best thing

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #2,385 of 2,833
Chain synergy is real. MJ3 does its best with DACs like the Yggy. Anything less than that will make it sound horrible. I always look at a reviewer’s chain before agreeing with their review. Wavetheory’s chain is rather low to midfi so trying to use high end amps on them doesn’t do the amp justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back