Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #2,041 of 2,830
Well, even if the MJ3 can stand for 9V balanced, still needs further attenuation to bring down the volume, then what is the point...? does it sounds better? I do not know ....
For cans like Tungsten is the only "point" i can think of. Maybe a 6-screw He6..

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #2,042 of 2,830
If you ask the AI on Schiit, the Mjolnir 3 can handle up to 20 Volts. For some odd reason people are underestimating the MJ3 because it only output 2W at 32 ohms. However, we don’t even second guess when a 20K usd amp only outputs 1.5W at the same watt and claims it can drive any headphone well.
I think mostly because it almost seems artificially locked to 2w. Like, it's design probably could push 8w. Idk, it's something quirky though.
\Who cares as long as it sounds rad what it's advertised output is in the end, though.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #2,043 of 2,830
Here's the AI answer I got. I didn't specify line level input, maybe that's the difference?

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 7.52.58 AM.png
great , so, now we've heard 20v, 4v, and 2v (with a warning not to exceed) :skull: :floatsmile:

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #2,044 of 2,830
... I was a bit bummed to hear that Gumby2 was going to be D/S.
Wonder why they went that direction and I bet Mike was grumbling about that.
Mike was the one who initiated the D/S move, iiuc. It's a "custom chip" (probably an FPGA) with Mike's, Ivana's, and Dave's magic touch making it acceptable to Mike.

Can't wait to hear impressions. I'll be in the peanut gallery as my DAC journey is complete as I need a streamer/DAC and Schiit won't make that.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #2,045 of 2,830
Yea the communication sucks, my guess is that the MJ3 wont be around much longer. They are literally struggling with production. You’re at the 2 month mark i see, i got mine exactly 2 months after ordering, some people waited even longer. It’s worth the wait brother. Hang in there.
I'm trying to, but things like the Flux Mentor release are making me re-consider everything!

You could email them and check for update. I think they are making them in small batches. Since there is a huge demand, I‘m not surprised the wait time is long. Orders from late Jan will have to wait till late April and on. Mine took a couple months to arrived. So, I didn’t even consider it as ‘delay’ because i know the production time is long. I would assume yours should be ready within this month. Good luck and hang in there! I promise it’s worth the wait!
Yeah, I emailed a couple of weeks ago, they'll just hit you with an automated reply saying they're sorry for the delay and they're working on it, no real answer tbh.
I used the word delay mainly because during January they did gave estimated times of arrival, first on the 15, then another one saying they'll ship on the 31st, and one month after that here we are, no follow ups from them.

I ordered it about 2-3 weeks before you and I got it about 2 weeks ago. Likely it will only take 1-2 more weeks before they send it to you.
Let's hope that's the case, the Flux Mentor is starting to look pretty tempting (and will probably ship faster regardless of it coming from a country fighting an invasion!)

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #2,046 of 2,830
I have been in the hobby long enough to be well aware, that higher price doesn't always correlate to better performance.
But if Currawong says the MJ3 rivals with 2K-3K amps, I believe him. To my experience from owning the 3XP, it is a good little amp, but certainly doesn't compete with 3K amps. (The GSX-Mini, BHA1 or HA-3A for example which I also own/owned are clearly better than the 3XP.)
That's where my surprise was coming from.
I guess, I will find out once my MJ3 arrives.
Well, if you look deeply you would find things like that the 3xp outperforms the BHA1 in some cases, for example planars, specially HE6 and some hifimans, however, I could see that a1000z-(which according to me and a guy I know it is "meh" on the 3xp) could easily sound better on the BHA1, also some dynamics like the HD800 seem to synergize well on the BHA-1.

I truly believe that with your elites, the BHA-1 was better than the 3XP, but that is the thing, that happened with that headphone, in fact, I think I remember you in the 3xp thread, you said the BHA1 was noticeably more detailed with your elites if i'm not wrong.

I personally think the 3XP is a synergy dependent amp, It is not always better than the cheaper ones, but when it does, it is pretty nice, it's very headphone and maybe dac dependant too.

If you look at this thread, you will not find only one person that says the 3XP was more detailed than the MJ3, I checked and I found 2, lol.

One of the reasons may be synergy... the other reason is something I have not revealed and I don't know if I should... lol.

I believe the MJ3 could be stellar for the price but I don't think it will always outperform every single -2000usd amp in every single headphone and situation, no matter if a trusted reviewer said it.

Currawong, Wavetheory and passion for sound are all good reviewers from my perspective, but I really learned the hard way how almost opposite synergies exists and a situation could exist in where some amp that you may think it is comparable to a 2000usd amp with some headphone, may be worse than for example a much cheaper amp with other headphone :), synergies hit hard sometimes.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #2,047 of 2,830
Mike was the one who initiated the D/S move, iiuc. It's a "custom chip" (probably an FPGA) with Mike's, Ivana's, and Dave's magic touch making it acceptable to Mike.

Can't wait to hear impressions. I'll be in the peanut gallery as my DAC journey is complete as I need a streamer/DAC and Schiit won't make that.
:thinking:
I definitely want to hear it!
Have a Gumby Shoot-out.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #2,048 of 2,830
Let's hope that's the case, the Flux Mentor is starting to look pretty tempting (and will probably ship faster regardless of it coming from a country fighting an invasion!)
Mine shipped out next day, but, it has to be driven across Ukraine and get thru the border @ Poland to get to UPS, but, all-in-all about a week to week to get to the US.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #2,049 of 2,830
Mine shipped out next day, but, it has to be driven across Ukraine and get thru the border @ Poland to get to UPS, but, all-in-all about a week to week to get to the US.
Sorry if you mentioned this already before, did you get yours already? If so, how is it against the Mjolnir?

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #2,050 of 2,830
Sorry if you mentioned this already before, did you get yours already? If so, how is it against the Mjolnir?
I ordered mine Monday and it just got to UPS in Poland today. Should have it by this weekend.

As for Mjolnir I canceled my order last month. I still would love to hear one but I cant afford multiple amps and dacs really; 2 or either at the most.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #2,051 of 2,830
I'm trying to, but things like the Flux Mentor release are making me re-consider everything!

Yeah, I emailed a couple of weeks ago, they'll just hit you with an automated reply saying they're sorry for the delay and they're working on it, no real answer tbh.
I used the word delay mainly because during January they did gave estimated times of arrival, first on the 15, then another one saying they'll ship on the 31st, and one month after that here we are, no follow ups from them.

Interesting. I wonder if they got a bad batch of parts which delayed their production. There have been some user reporting some issues with the switches.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #2,052 of 2,830
Well, if you look deeply you would find things like that the 3xp outperforms the BHA1 in some cases, for example planars, specially HE6 and some hifimans, however, I could see that a1000z-(which according to me and a guy I know it is "meh" on the 3xp) could easily sound better on the BHA1, also some dynamics like the HD800 seem to synergize well on the BHA-1.

I truly believe that with your elites, the BHA-1 was better than the 3XP, but that is the thing, that happened with that headphone, in fact, I think I remember you in the 3xp thread, you said the BHA1 was noticeably more detailed with your elites if i'm not wrong.

I personally think the 3XP is a synergy dependent amp, It is not always better than the cheaper ones, but when it does, it is pretty nice, it's very headphone and maybe dac dependant too.

If you look at this thread, you will not find only one person that says the 3XP was more detailed than the MJ3, I checked and I found 2, lol.

One of the reasons may be synergy... the other reason is something I have not revealed and I don't know if I should... lol.

I believe the MJ3 could be stellar for the price but I don't think it will always outperform every single -2000usd amp in every single headphone and situation, no matter if a trusted reviewer said it.

Currawong, Wavetheory and passion for sound are all good reviewers from my perspective, but I really learned the hard way how almost opposite synergies exists and a situation could exist in where some amp that you may think it is comparable to a 2000usd amp with some headphone, may be worse than for example a much cheaper amp with other headphone :), synergies hit hard sometimes.
Of course, synergy is king and personal taste overwrites every rule. At the end of the day everyone is coming from a subjective point of view, so there is no better or worse amp regardless price. The taste of the pudding is in the eating, so I will rather refrain from further discussions until I hear the MJ3 myself.
I liked my 3XP, as I said I think it is great little amp, I just didn't find it as outstanding as some others. Maybe the secret you are a little shy about is the clue for the 3XP to rule them all. Have you found an op-amp made by elves in Lothlórien? :) :wink:

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #2,053 of 2,830
They are both special amps at their price points. However, the MJ3 is in a different league. The MJ3 sounds really expensive. The S17 sounds warm, full, and spacious enough to make it hard to believe it’s under $1000 but the MJ sounds so good you question how much better can it get, atleast solid state wise lol
Have your tried pre-amping the S17 into the MJ3 and vice versa?

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #2,054 of 2,830
Have your tried pre-amping the S17 into the MJ3 and vice versa?
No longer have the s17, i can’t imagine it being beneficial though, maybe the MJ3 into the S17 but certainly not the other way around

Mar 8, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #2,055 of 2,830
IMG_3543.jpeg

I am truly content at the moment, and I’m really excited for the Gumby 2 MB version. I know Schiit is going to make sure the symphony between the two is something special. For now, the Bifrost 2/64 is more than ok with me.

SB: The Bifrost seems to like sitting above the MJ3 more than it does sitting below it. When placed below, it would get just as warm as the MJ, but when above, it’s luke warm while the MJ does that toasty thing it does no matter where its placed lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back