Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #1,906 of 3,099
The thing is, he deemed the MJ3 solid at its price point which is fine sure, and maybe that’s truly what he’s hearing. It’s just that when you factor in what the majority of reviewers are saying along with the fact that he felt the need to mention purchasing the MJ out of his pocket, it all becomes a bit too much.
I use the opening segment of every video to talk about how I sourced the unit at hand. If it's a loan from a manufacturer, retailer, or private individual, I say so. If I know I get to keep it before I film the review (I don't always) I say that too. If I buy it, I say so. To me the key is transparency. I don't think any of those acquisition methods are automatic causes of conflicts of interest, though they can be. Reporting them helps the viewer frame what follows. If you have a better way for such information to be delivered, I'm all ears. But, for me, it is really about being as honest and straightforward as I can be.

And as a side note, contributing to my 'contrarian' label is the fact that I am consciously extra careful when I evaluate something that is loaned or given to me by a manufacturer or retailer to make sure that I'm not a commercial maker; that I'm essentially doing audio journalism. We can quibble about the results, but I assure you that is 100% the goal.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #1,907 of 3,099
I use the opening segment of every video to talk about how I sourced the unit at hand. If it's a loan from a manufacturer, retailer, or private individual, I say so. If I know I get to keep it before I film the review (I don't always) I say that too. If I buy it, I say so. To me the key is transparency. I don't think any of those acquisition methods are automatic causes of conflicts of interest, though they can be. Reporting them helps the viewer frame what follows. If you have a better way for such information to be delivered, I'm all ears. But, for me, it is really about being as honest and straightforward as I can be.

And as a side note, contributing to my 'contrarian' label is the fact that I am consciously extra careful when I evaluate something that is loaned or given to me by a manufacturer or retailer to make sure that I'm not a commercial maker; that I'm essentially doing audio journalism. We can quibble about the results, but I assure you that is 100% the goal.
Noted. Rest assure i admire your work, hell im subscribed Lol and agreeing to disagree works best sometimes right? im just here giving my two cents is all.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #1,908 of 3,099
Noted. Rest assure i admire your work, hell im subscribed Lol and agreeing to disagree works best sometimes right? im just here giving my two cents is all.

No worries. I'm just making sure we're understanding each other. I appreciate your support. Enjoy the music, my friend! :beerchug:

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,909 of 3,099
My concern comes from the reasoning for his review as more about “busting a hype” than to truly critically hear and review an Amp. He kept repeating that during his review and that tells me there is an agenda. Either consciously or subconsciously, once you deemed a product “the enemy” to defeat all your experience from it will be negative.
He was busting the hype by critically hear and review it justas you wanted? So what do you wish for just feeding the hype? What would you want to hear in the reviews to be satisfied.

Its just reviews they are for fun they dont help. You must listen for yourself :)

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,910 of 3,099
He was busting the hype by critically hear and review it justas you wanted? ...
That seems like a no-win situation. If the reviewer isn't enthusiastic then the review is "an overly negative". If the review is enthusiastic then the review "just feeds the hype train."

Maybe that's why so many reviewers are enthusiastic/negative about every thing that crosses their desks....

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,911 of 3,099
Imo he was enthusiastic except for in the case of Tungsten- and exactly why I went Flux Mentor instead for my Class A fix (even though I want to love Mjolnir3).

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #1,912 of 3,099
Curious if anyone has it paired with Denafrips Ares II?
Not II but I have 12th-1 with IRIS 12th DDC combo and it is divine for me with HE1000SE. It really brought out the dynamics that I wanted to get from this phone while retaining sound staging of HE1000SE, while not going into so called Hifiman High getting out of control... But I am very tolerant of high based on bunch of reviewers on different things it seems. Synergy with headphone does matter a lot as well it seems beyond certain point. I imagine this amp would do great with most of HIFIMAN range based on what I noticed with HE1000SE that are similar to HE1000SE.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #1,913 of 3,099

MJ3 out for tungsten DS, even more so for SS according to him, time stamp @Slackaveli I know you where dying to know. Unfortunate. Option is clear now, for me at least, Flux Labs Mentor it is.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #1,914 of 3,099
Another thing that came from this review quite clearly is that specifically for HE1000SE, the obviously better pick is Violectric V281, as a next level step up. But V281 is about 10 years old or so and today I can get some last pieces from dealer with 20% discount for 1500 Eur, which is exactly the same as Mj3 in silver :D. So it’s not a 2500+ range item, it’s the same price today.

That would suggest I shall cancel my order for MJ3 and run for V281.. but I don’t know, probably not. Still, without possibility to stressless test both for few days, it’s impossible to know for sure. But then V281 is even not a class A. I’m confused.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #1,915 of 3,099
Hi Wave Theory,
I just finished watching the MJ3 review. Im looking for a good match for my Focal Utopia og.
I'm looking for a HP amp (no Dac) for $$ in the range of the MJ3.
I was considering the MJ3 but your mention of the match left a little to be desired and came out of review wondering if not this what...
I know you spoke of V222 but
What else would be a 'better' match for FUog? for both low, mid and high impedance HPs?
I only want to buy 1 HP amp
Check for Utopia pairings on SBAF, the most comprehensive and useful writeup on the webs.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #1,916 of 3,099
MJ3 out for tungsten DS, even more so for SS according to him, time stamp @Slackaveli I know you where dying to know. Unfortunate. Option is clear now, for me at least, Flux Labs Mentor it is.

Yessir. I had my order in a day before that review as it became clear for me too - :gs1000smile:

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #1,917 of 3,099
Another thing that came from this review quite clearly is that specifically for HE1000SE, the obviously better pick is Violectric V281, as a next level step up. But V281 is about 10 years old or so and today I can get some last pieces from dealer with 20% discount for 1500 Eur, which is exactly the same as Mj3 in silver :D. So it’s not a 2500+ range item, it’s the same price today.

That would suggest I shall cancel my order for MJ3 and run for V281.. but I don’t know, probably not. Still, without possibility to stressless test both for few days, it’s impossible to know for sure. But then V281 is even not a class A. I’m confused.
Flux Mentor is the far better option @ only $1299, class A @ 11.3w or a stack @ 33.5w (for Tungsten specifically) . @WaveTheory hasnt heard it yet afaik.

The hype is real! Try to tame that train, Bro. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flux-mentor-class-a-dual-mono-headphone-amplifier.970400/page-21

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #1,918 of 3,099
Flux Mentor is the far better option @ only $1299, class A @ 11.3w or a stack @ 33.5w (for Tungsten specifically) . @WaveTheory hasnt heard it yet afaik.

The hype is real! Try to tame that train, Bro. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flux-mentor-class-a-dual-mono-headphone-amplifier.970400/page-21
I’m aware of Mentor, but it’s 1400 including shipment, and most likely also taxes and dutties, as ít technícally still goes from outside of EU, I checked that with Flux. Not sure about the warranty and support, but it seems to be egain a bit more hassle than Schiit Europe.

Mentor looks like good product and I respect the Flux Company for what they do and how they do, but all things considered - and sínce I don’t need to feed Tungsten, the equation fits better MJ3 for my case. Or V281 :).

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #1,919 of 3,099
I’m aware of Mentor, but it’s 1400 including shipment, and most likely also taxes and dutties, as ít technícally still goes from outside of EU, I checked that with Flux. Not sure about the warranty and support, but it seems to be egain a bit more hassle than Schiit Europe.

Mentor looks like good product and I respect the Flux Company for what they do and how they do, but all things considered - and sínce I don’t need to feed Tungsten, the equation fits better MJ3 for my case. Or V281 :).
Yeah it's all very case dependent and not every chain is built in the same order.
Some buy a signature DAC and match to it.
In the case of Tungsten one must start right there at the end of the chain. Then, buy an amp worthy of it. Then you can find a DAC that synergizes with your genres and the amp. It's a whole thing but a fun exercise nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back