Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #1,771 of 2,798
I always wondered if I should add one but don’t truly understand them yet. So instead of having a SS amp and a tube amp; I could have a MJ3 and a Freya+ for the tube sound?
DAC into Freya+, Volume knob all the way open, Freya+ into Mjolnir 3, Volume knob of MJ3 controls listening level. I have that knob set at about 8 o'clock for my ears my listening level. XLR interconnects. Not sure what "tube sound" is for you, but for my ears Freya+ adds to my musical enjoyment. stays in the chain.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,772 of 2,798
My space heater is here!

Initial impression: Very spacious sounding in both width and depth. Seems uncommon for amp in this price range or lower. I personally like the push-pull mode better which gives the music a little bit more 'bite' and energy. I keep feedback mode off since I don't hear many meaningful differences.

Equipments used: Gustard R26 -> MJ3 -> LCD5 & HE1000se

IMG_3964.JPG

Ayyy, another R26 > Mjolnir 3 user! I am really loving this combo altho I don't have anything similar to compare it to.

2024-02-19 13.35.56.jpg

This photo is from last week when I was borrowing the ZMF Caldera (right) and Atrium Closed (left) as part of a loaner tour. The Atticus in the middle are mine.

The combo of Mjolnir 3 with the Caldera was truly stunning. It also does magical things to the HD800 as well.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #1,773 of 2,798
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,774 of 2,798
Ok hear me out.
I absolutely love my Mjolnir 3. I sold my Bliss after getting it. Also liked it more than the Bryston BHA-1.
With my DAC on the 6v setting the MJ3 pushes the Tungsten pretty good. I’m around 1-2 o’clock. But if you don’t have a DAC that’s pushing 6v or and option to change your DACs voltage, then it could be limited with things like the Tungsten and Susvara. Would be nice to have a tad bit more power.
So here’s what I’d love to see Schiit do. Heck, it could even be a limited run, I’ll buy one. Please give us a Mjolnir 3 design in a Ragnarok chassis with a bit more power. Maybe 3+ watts? With the Ragnarok chassis we could have the bigger heatsinks and additional inputs, even speaker taps. I know @Currawong wanted more inputs and I think it would be great too. Sure it’ll cost a bit more but this thing sounds amazing so let’s give it a bit more juice and features.
@Jason Stoddard
Give us Stormbreaker and kill the competition! Please!🙏
I’ll buy the first one, day one!
2BECDEA7-341F-4991-ADD1-5F38D6692E4F.gif

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #1,776 of 2,798
Aye. Jason mentioned somewhere they had it working up to 8w (or something like that) but kept it locked down to 2w.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #1,777 of 2,798
With the clicky volume knob!
That would be cool but not completely necessary. We need the design and power first lol

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #1,779 of 2,798
Been listening for 2 days now and I’m honestly blown away, 1200 USD?? Are you serious?! This thing easily wins over the Soloist 3X GT for me, as impressive as the Burson is, the music doesn’t have much feel with it. This isn’t hype people, grab one while you can! I wouldn’t be surprised if Schiit increased the price with all the praise it’s getting along with the fact that production hasn’t been an easy task.

I’m driving 16ohm Arya Organics with it and i was very skeptical going in because their really low impedance and super sensitive, but to my surprise the MJ3 pairs very well with them…I’m more than comfortable with it on low gain around 11 o’ clock.

My initial fear was that with all the talk of it being crystal clear and detailed, it would be sharp on “already bright” hifimans. To my surprise it wasn’t, it delivers a treble that’s so articulate and refined, it’s never sibilant unless maybe a record is poorly mixed. I’ve yet to experience any sibilance atleast with the organics. More to come, just wanted to drop some quick thoughts.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #1,780 of 2,798
Been listening for 2 days now and I’m honestly blown away, 1200 USD?? Are you serious?! This thing easily wins over the Soloist 3X GT for me, as impressive as the Burson is, the music doesn’t have much feel with it. This isn’t hype people, grab one while you can! I wouldn’t be surprised if Schiit increased the price with all the praise it’s getting along with the fact that production hasn’t been an easy task.

I’m driving 16ohm Arya Organics with it and i was very skeptical going in because their really low impedance and super sensitive, but to my surprise the MJ3 pairs very well with them…I’m more than comfortable with it on low gain around 11 o’ clock.

My initial fear was that with all the talk of it being crystal clear and detailed, it would be sharp on “already bright” hifimans. To my surprise it wasn’t, it delivers a treble that’s so articulate and refined, it’s never sibilant unless maybe a record is poorly mixed. I’ve yet to experience any sibilance atleast with the organics. More to come, just wanted to drop some quick thoughts.
Are you running thru the Bifrost?
Have you tried with K9 Pro as DAC (or pre-amp)?

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #1,781 of 2,798
Well I just wanted another pros with MJ3 that I don't think was clearly mentioned. I have noticed more bass presence (not necessarily quantity, but more in line of impact and dynamic) with HE1000SE vs prior which really makes this headphone sing in my opinion. In the mean time it doesn't exaggerate base on Diana MR which already had quite a bit of it. With Aune S17Pro I preferred Diana MR as I felt it was more balanced sound to me. But when MJ3 showed up, that flipped and I think I noticed more improvement in HE1000SE than Diana MR where my preference shifted to HE1000SE. Now I am seriously thinking about Suvarna thanks to this amp.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #1,782 of 2,798
Are you running thru the Bifrost?
Have you tried with K9 Pro as DAC (or pre-amp)?
No longer have the k9, this is all from the 2/64…also a wonderful pairing, i do have my eyes set on the gungnir 2 that’s been announced

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #1,783 of 2,798
Well I just wanted another pros with MJ3 that I don't think was clearly mentioned. I have noticed more bass presence (not necessarily quantity, but more in line of impact and dynamic) with HE1000SE vs prior which really makes this headphone sing in my opinion. In the mean time it doesn't exaggerate base on Diana MR which already had quite a bit of it. With Aune S17Pro I preferred Diana MR as I felt it was more balanced sound to me. But when MJ3 showed up, that flipped and I think I noticed more improvement in HE1000SE than Diana MR where my preference shifted to HE1000SE. Now I am seriously thinking about Suvarna thanks to this amp.
Good luck.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #1,784 of 2,798
Good luck.
You mentioned the MJ3 not being great with the he1000 stealth and i think that might be treble over kill, the stealth and organic are tuned pretty closely with the organic offering more low end and the stealth offering more highs, that may be the problem in your case, i think the MJ is an outstanding value, I’ve demoed the 3x gt for a month and while they’re on the same level performance wise, the tuning of the MJ makes the MJ the clear winner for me.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #1,785 of 2,798
No longer have the k9, this is all from the 2/64…also a wonderful pairing, i do have my eyes set on the gungnir 2 that’s been announced
i think you already told me that once before lol.

Do we know any particulars about what kind of DAC gumby2 will be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back