Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #1,396 of 3,099
I think everything's got a little of "it depends" to it, just because of gear matching. But my guess is the sound quality is good enough you’d consider upgrading your other gear and keeping the Mj3 instead. At least the amp will make it easy and reveal any flaws in your chain 😂
Looking forward to such a revelation :). If the worst that will happen is chasing other cables, that's fine. But the dac (pontus 2) and hekse will certainly stay untouched. First, because this dac proved already to be a keeper for my speakers system and second anyway I don't have funds to experiment further (family life is challenging). That's why I need to choose the right :).
Edit: forgot to mention I'm aware I'll need to add a DDC to the chain, but that probably after all the rest is settled, maybe next year or so :).

But while waiting for MJ3, are there any easy recommendations for power cable and XLR interconnects? Like if the stock MJ3 cable is fine, and the same goes for Schiit "Pyst Snake Oil" XLR - are they good for MJ3? I surely don't want to spend more on cables than I did on MJ3 :). Currently, I use Pangea power cables and Atohm RCA interconnects for my speakers. I can try to swap one Pangea on MJ3, but I have no XLR interconnects so far. Atohm XLR and Supra XLR I can easily test, but anything else will be again a blind purchase.
(I tried to search this forum for that as well, but didn't find an answer yet, if I missed it sorry and just please point me there, thanks)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #1,397 of 3,099
With USPS Priority Mail usually 2-3 days same as the rest of the US, my expected delivery is Monday. Anchorage is the worlds third busiest air cargo hub, so generally things are fast getting here. My Meze Liric only took two days to arrive from Romania with DHL Express and that was the free shipping method they used. Its only bad if the cheapest budget shipping method is used such as media mail for example as they come up on an ocean barge and take 4-6 weeks.

Let's say I have not been to particularly worried about the comments regarding its heat, we just recently finished up two weeks of record breaking cold and I will take anything that can add some warmth as a side benefit.
Valhalla 2 is warmer, but it's a close competition. Just don't hold your hand on the heat sink (like grabbing hot tubes) it's not a fire hazard 🤣

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #1,398 of 3,099
Looking forward to such a revelation :). If the worst that will happen is chasing other cables, that's fine. But the dac (pontus 2) and hekse will certainly stay untouched. First, because this dac proved already to be a keeper for my speakers system and second anyway I don't have funds to experiment further (family life is challenging). That's why I need to choose the right :).
Edit: forgot to mention I'm aware I'll need to add a DDC to the chain, but that probably after all the rest is settled, maybe next year or so :).

But while waiting for MJ3, are there any easy recommendations for power cable and XLR interconnects? Like if the stock MJ3 cable is fine, and the same goes for Schiit "Pyst Snake Oil" XLR - are they good for MJ3? I surely don't want to spend more on cables than I did on MJ3 :). Currently, I use Pangea power cables and Atohm RCA interconnects for my speakers. I can try to swap one Pangea on MJ3, but I have no XLR interconnects so far. Atohm XLR and Supra XLR I can easily test, but anything else will be again a blind purchase.
(I tried to search this forum for that as well, but didn't find an answer yet, if I missed it sorry and just please point me there, thanks)
According to Schiit, any power cable will sound the same, and any XLR cable under 6ft will work.

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #1,399 of 3,099

But while waiting for MJ3, are there any easy recommendations for power cable and XLR interconnects?...
I don't do custom power cables unless I want them color-coded (e.g. a red and a white power cord for my monoblocks...). I currently find the "terminators" on audiophile power cords to be freaking ridiculously large and problematic...

For the XLR to the headphones, I got a custom one from Hart Audio so that I could get a better length (more than 6', I think 12?) and take advantage of all the really cool colors they have.

For the XLR from my streamer I got a special 1' "right angle" pair because space constrained.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #1,400 of 3,099

I'm not at the level where I'm focused on high end cables. Not sure I really want to go down that rabbit hole since I'm pretty happy with Worlds Best Cables. And in my price range, gear swaps are the bigger, more meaningful upgrades. But fwiw, my XLR interconnects are the WBC cables made with Mogami 2549 wire. They sound neutral, smooth and clean. No coloration or over-detailed sparkle.

Side note: I've been breaking in the ZMF Bokeh with the Mj3 and I'm kinda digging this headphone with feedback on. This amp continues to surprise me. As much as I dig it when you can set it and forget it, I also dig it when multiple setting are useful.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #1,402 of 3,099
@ckhirnigs113 Question for ya whenever you get the chance. How are you enjoying the MJ3 with the Atrium Closed? I'm thinking with the MJ3 being full class A it would be a pretty solid match.
Mj3 is a very good match to AC. I’ve tried that twice at two different meet ups.
I think in general any ZMF on any Schiit is amazing.

Feb 11, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,403 of 3,099
@ckhirnigs113 Question for ya whenever you get the chance. How are you enjoying the MJ3 with the Atrium Closed? I'm thinking with the MJ3 being full class A it would be a pretty solid match.
I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the MJ3 with all my headphones, including the Atrium Closed. It’s great at controlling the bass of the AC and also extracting tons of detail without being harsh or unnatural.

I still can’t believe how good my Mod House Argons sound on the MJ3. This is the second night in a row that I’m reaching for them over my AC, Auteur, and Elite.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #1,404 of 3,099
I had a weird experience over the weekend I wanted to share.

I know about the quiet hum/vibration that the MJ3 is supposed to have. Never bothered me before, and not noticeable in any normal situation. Well, my daughter brought her hair dryer downstairs to dry her dog yesterday. She plugged it into the living room outlet, which is stupidly on the same circuit as my office. My audio system is on a Furman AC power conditioner, but when she turned that thing on, my MJ3 immediately started audibly buzzing loudly enough to be heard above the Susvara playing at ~65dBish, and also above the noise of the hair dryer (door still open). I don't think the buzzing was coming through into the audio, because I think I heard it as much after I put the Sus down. I touched the MJ3 with my hand, and it was vibrating almost as much as the clothes dryer on a tumble cycle. I immediately switched it off in fear, and it all stopped of course. After the dog was dried off, I turned the MJ3 back on, and it sounded like nothing had happened.

So... have any of you guys had a problem with your MJ3 units vibrating/buzzing like crazy? What is it about a hair dryer that would cause a choke to vibrate to that extent?? And is my Furman AC-215A Power Conditioner defective, or is that the nature of these things? I don't think I've ever heard my Jot2 do this before...

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,405 of 3,099

I know about the quiet hum/vibration that the MJ3 is supposed to have. Never bothered me before, and not noticeable in any normal situation. Well, my daughter brought her hair dryer downstairs to dry her dog yesterday. She plugged it into the living room outlet, which is stupidly on the same circuit as my office. My audio system is on a Furman AC power conditioner, but when she turned that thing on, my MJ3 immediately started audibly buzzing loudly enough to be heard above the Susvara playing at ~65dBish, and also above the noise of the hair dryer (door still open). I don't think the buzzing was coming through into the audio, because I think I heard it as much after I put the Sus down. I touched the MJ3 with my hand, and it was vibrating almost as much as the clothes dryer on a tumble cycle. I immediately switched it off in fear, and it all stopped of course. After the dog was dried off, I turned the MJ3 back on, and it sounded like nothing had happened.

So... have any of you guys had a problem with your MJ3 units vibrating/buzzing like crazy? What is it about a hair dryer that would cause a choke to vibrate to that extent?? And is my Furman AC-215A Power Conditioner defective, or is that the nature of these things? I don't think I've ever heard my Jot2 do this before...
I would be surprised if it's your Furman's fault. If I am in your situation, I will probably just proceed using the MJ3 with care and try to avoid leaving gears plugged while being away from the desk. If the problem comes back, then there is definitely something wrong.

If you are not comfortable using it, you can always contact Schiit for advice.

Feb 12, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #1,406 of 3,099

A hair dryer will pull about 15 amps when in use, so guessing that it may have been "starving" the MJ3 of current it wanted to properly drive the load and causing unpleasant vibrations as a result. Whether the Furman adds an additional layer of complexity in there is hard to say...

A bit surprised that a breaker wasn't tripped as most households (at least in the US) use a 15 amp circuit breaker for most circuit chains.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #1,407 of 3,099

I’m no expert but a hair dryer can consume easily 2000 watts and maybe if everything was already on at that circuit, it was already too much and MJ3 didn’t get enough juice, so underpowered? Just a guess.

I experienced once in my household bad cable contact on main electricity switch and when the cable contact weakened, my TV started to show random square areas o black&white dots.. very weird.

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #1,408 of 3,099
A hair dryer will pull about 15 amps when in use, so guessing that it may have been "starving" the MJ3 of current it wanted to properly drive the load and causing unpleasant vibrations as a result. Whether the Furman adds an additional layer of complexity in there is hard to say...

A bit surprised that a breaker wasn't tripped as most households (at least in the US) use a 15 amp circuit breaker for most circuit chains.
The hair dryer in question says 1875W (15.6A), so you're right on the dot. However, for the dog's sake, she usually uses low-medium heat, and medium fan settings. I have no idea what the scaling factor is, without pulling it through a Kill-a-watt (and hope it doesn't exceed the amp limit there). But given that my wife was using her gaming computer at the same time, also on the same circuit (pulls 300-600W), I'm not surprised if your guess is the correct one.

In fact, I remember my daughter dried the dog down here last month without the MJ3 doing crazies – with the one difference being that my wife was not using her computer. So I guess that further supports the idea that the MJ3 was likely being current-starved. Good guess, thanks for the ideas, all. I might have to try getting a new circuit put in the office, after all...

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #1,409 of 3,099
I experienced once in my household bad cable contact on main electricity switch and when the cable contact weakened, my TV started to show random square areas o black&white dots.. very weird.
... remember the beginning of
EF7B621D-B62E-4DD0-A162-C3530C7EE1ED.jpeg
"we will control the horizontal, we will control the vertical..." 😳🤔

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #1,410 of 3,099
I might have to try getting a new circuit put in the office, after all...
Possibly another option is to get double conversion online UPS. Of course... efficiency drops even lower but at least you won't have to worry about rest of circuits damaging your audio gear. Might be slightly cheaper than rewiring your home.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back