Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #1,231 of 3,097
So i've tested my set up with 4 Friends of mine that aren't in this hobby by any means, i only said to use the push and pull switch e and negative feedback One without saying anything specific (for the sake of the experiment) and all four of them confirmed that they can hear a clear difference with single mode and push and pull One and told me that the push and pull gives more kick grip and Is more enveloping while the negative feedback switch was a bit blurry, for two of them it didn't make a difference and for the other two it cramped the soundstage a little bit. But all four of them was impressed with the single and push and pull switch, basically with One switch you have a perfect match with the Song you are listening too.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,233 of 3,097
If you can It would be great If you could give a feedback on how does the Mjolnir 3 pairs with the Pontus 2?
Thanks
I'll be happy to do so, but it will take a month or so until I get the Mjolnir 3 here in Europe (it's back-ordered already).

Right now sadly I don't have a proper headamp at home, only quite historical portable dac/amp Corda 2stepdance - which is adding its own DAC flavour to the chain, basically negating (I guess) all the positive from the Pontus.
Mjolnir 3 will be obviously a huge upgrade in this case.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #1,235 of 3,097
I’d be interested to know what percentage of MJ3 owners are preferring high-gain. I usually stick to low-gain with my amps but find myself using high-gain almost exclusively on the MJ3. I can’t even really put my finger on the difference it makes, but I feel more engaged with the music in high-gain.

Schiit Audio Mjolnir 3 with fans pulling air up and out
— ☈☡
did you try putting some space between the MJ3 and the fan assembly? I'm wondering if cooling would be even better. Any downsides to putting the fan assembly directly on top of MJ3?

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #1,236 of 3,097
I too hope mine ships tomorrow as Schiit predicted (not promised, a distinction I am keeping in mind as I patiently wait).

In a side note, Echo Audio in Portland down the street from me listed a used MJ3 for $845 just over a week ago, but it was snatched up immediately before I noticed it on their website. I could have walked over and carried it home! Or even just did a quick in-store demo! damn!
my 2 cents only
I'm not sure if Schitt honors the transfer of warranties on their products. If this is true, then you may have dodged a bullet, would you want a used class-A hot MJ3 (which could have been from the initial run which may have had issues) with no warranty? For that reason, I'd only buy from the manufacturer and get a full 5-year warranty.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #1,237 of 3,097
my 2 cents only
I'm not sure if Schitt honors the transfer of warranties on their products. If this is true, then you may have dodged a bullet, would you want a used class-A hot MJ3 (which could have been from the initial run which may have had issues) with no warranty? For that reason, I'd only buy from the manufacturer and get a full 5-year warranty.
Yeah, I thought/think the same thing.

But, I do wish I had seen it in time to run down the street and at least audition it. A missed opportunity not many can take advantage of.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,238 of 3,097
did you try putting some space between the MJ3 and the fan assembly? I'm wondering if cooling would be even better. Any downsides to putting the fan assembly directly on top of MJ3?
MJ3 Gain switch… seems low... Is right… Volume control hangs at 12 noon… if it's on high the it's too loud after 9:30 position…
—☈☡

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,239 of 3,097
MJ3 Gain switch… seems low... Is right… Volume control hangs at 12 noon… if it's on high the it's too loud after 9:30 position…
—☈☡
Photo… Ultra Quite Fan Assembly Mounted Top Schiit MJ3

Attachments

• IMG_9122.jpeg
    IMG_9122.jpeg
    768.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #1,240 of 3,097
I’m using it exclusively in single-ended, low gain. I was thinking for some less dynamic planars I might use push-pull mode but I haven’t gotten any yet. And all my headphones are relatively efficient so high gain is not necessary. I like all the travel I get with the volume knob.

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #1,241 of 3,097
I sold my BURSON Soloist 3xp, I really liked the sound of it :frowning2:

It's time to try the MJ3 sound that everyone here is praising.
I haven’t decided yet what color of the lid to choose, I like the silver one like my Bifrost 2/64. But it's more expensive.
Although it probably doesn’t matter what color

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #1,242 of 3,097
This amp may be too good for me. I'm not a critical headphone listener. I use headphones while working or mucking around on the computer.

System: Mac Mini to Bifrost 2/64 to MJ3 to HifiMan Ananda Stealth. Swapping out the BF 2/64 and MJ3 for an Asgard 3 w/ MB card results in a slightly lower quality sound. Nothing I notice if I'm not concentrating on the music. For my purposes I'm leaning towards selling the MJ3 and using Asgard 3 for work/distracted listening.

But are there headphones that make the MJ3 sing, which might change my mind?

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #1,245 of 3,097
I can't wait to get MJ3. See how it stacks up against the mighty Niimbus and the gsx mini too.

Listening to Yggy - Niimbus into my speaker rig in the basement, sounds great!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back