Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #826 of 3,096
Wow thanks for the response. Not sure if "bass-lite" is the exact right wording, as I have had only Audeze cans for many years and very much used to the Audeze signature, which is full-bodied and bass strong as a rule. Great to hear about the synergy of Caldera with MJ3. Based on reading from SBAF on all the flavors of the yggy, I don't think there is that much difference between them really. Does the Caldera maintain the ZMF sound on the MJ3 with all the positive attributes being read on various reviews? Looking for a worthy replacement for my 4z, as I am done with the pads falling off. Basically planning on having the Caldera and the Meze Elites as my two headphones at this time.
Not sure about 4z but if you are coming from LCD 4 then most of the cans will feel bass-lite. Nothing to do with amp or DAC I guess. You are just used to Audeze.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #828 of 3,096
you are right. I had this dream about getting home from holiday to a shipping notice. The whole little kid with a new toy thing. I am listening to LCD-5 off of my comp through a Ray Samuels hornet, so its sorta Ghetto right now.
I was so excited when I got my shipping notice, I waited about 2 months (pre-ordered). Then I listened to the amp, oh wow, it is a good amp, took my LCD-2C to a new level. I betcha your LCD-5 will be like a new headphone for you as well.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #829 of 3,096
Another data point for those still waiting: 11/15 order for Black/US/115V just charged this morning, and shipped 30 minutes later.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #831 of 3,096
Yes, I am using a Freya N as a tube buffer (volume pot on Freya turned all the way up) in front of my MJ3 and it sounds sublime. Balance cable connections all the way thru and I don't hear any degradation of the sound quality.

I used to run a similar setup with Vali2 in front of my Jot2. But you can tell there is some fidelity loss due to Vali2 is not as transparent as the Freya N. I also think going SE connection from Vali2 to Jot2 takes a hit as well and granted the Jot2 is not as resolving as the MJ3, so that ensemble loses out compared to FreyaN with MJ3. But it was still engaging in its own rite.
Just connected Freya+ to the MJ3 for trial. I'll give it some time.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #832 of 3,096
Can anyone tell me how the Mjolnir 3 pairs with the Gustard R26? I'm using modded HD800 and ZMF Atticus.

Edit: ordered in silver. we'll see how they pair together. my guess is very well.

in related news, Jotunheim 2 for sale.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #833 of 3,096
I was so excited when I got my shipping notice, I waited about 2 months (pre-ordered). Then I listened to the amp, oh wow, it is a good amp, took my LCD-2C to a new level. I betcha your LCD-5 will be like a new headphone for you as well.
Got the shipping notice. Should be here Tuesday. After all the buildup, I have to assume it will sound like this.

I have too much Money

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #834 of 3,096
So far I only see ppl (including Schiit and myself) pair MJ3 with Yggy OG, but not LIM. I had very positive impression with LIM long time ago when I had it with other headphones amp. I recently had my og sold too. I will consider grabbing another Yggy in future but have to decide between og and LIM. Anyone tried MJ3 with LIM?
EXACTLY what I would like to get some feedback on as well. I currently run a LiM with a Headamp GSX Mini amp, sounds friggin' amazing. BUT I am super intrigued with the MJ3 as I may need to put together another rig for another location, and have seen only one review on SBAF who indicated that he thought the LiM was not a good match for the MJ3. Which completely bummed me out. HOWEVER, I am still considering very strongly getting MJ3 anyway to try it. IF the fates do not smile on the combo, I might then look into a MiB dac for the MJ3. Personally, I suspect that the LiM is going to work awesome with the MJ3, due to how I like stuff to sound, which is not necessarily with clinical precision and dead neutral. The LiM is absolutely detailed, but also sounds organic and natural to my ears. As well, even if the MJ3 is not what I think I need, I can return it but I seriously doubt that would happen.

IF there is anyone out there running a Yggy LiM with MJ3, PLEASE relay thoughts / observations / critique?

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #835 of 3,096
I'm not familiar with the Yggy or any of its variants, but as long as the reviews you trust say there's an improvement that you think would suit your tastes, then yes. Tbh, I'm not very familiar with any kilo-buck DACs myself, so I'm going off the word of others in this thread who seem to think you should try to get the best source you can for this amp. What I've personally experienced, the Ares 2 does sound less smeared and more detailed in the upper registers than the BF2/64, but the Bifrost is more dynamic and has better bass. If I could get something that combines best of both and then improves upon that, I'd think that was worth the considerable upgrade fee.
I have not owned the BF 2/64, but do own the Ares II dac. Also the Yggdrasil LiM dac. By far and away, the LiM is the best dac I have ever owned. Also have owned Chord Hugo 2, Gungnir original (before multibit) and the LiM is superlative. I have read a review on SBAF that said the LiM was not the best pairing for the MJ3. I suspect that is down to personal listening preferences though. I think I will go ahead and place an order for the MJ3 to try with the LiM. I have found no other critiques on this pairing anywhere. The Ares II was a really good dac, but I think the USB is not so good, as it will tend to "lock up" with the audio sounding all screwed up, usually necessitating cycling power on-off to resolve, very irritating. LiM far surpasses Ares II IMHO, but then the Ares did not cost 2500 either. To me it makes no sense to have a great amp and try to feed it junk from an inferior dac (source).

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #836 of 3,096
I have not owned the BF 2/64, but do own the Ares II dac. Also the Yggdrasil LiM dac. By far and away, the LiM is the best dac I have ever owned. Also have owned Chord Hugo 2, Gungnir original (before multibit) and the LiM is superlative. I have read a review on SBAF that said the LiM was not the best pairing for the MJ3. I suspect that is down to personal listening preferences though. I think I will go ahead and place an order for the MJ3 to try with the LiM. I have found no other critiques on this pairing anywhere. The Ares II was a really good dac, but I think the USB is not so good, as it will tend to "lock up" with the audio sounding all screwed up, usually necessitating cycling power on-off to resolve, very irritating. LiM far surpasses Ares II IMHO, but then the Ares did not cost 2500 either. To me it makes no sense to have a great amp and try to feed it junk from an inferior dac (source).
I say go for it. I can’t imagine there will be anything wrong with the LIM/MJ3 pairing. It’s all preference at this level of equipment anyway. Worst case scenario, you either return the MJ3 or sell in like 2 seconds in the Classifieds here.

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #838 of 3,096
Maybe limited run, brand new boutique products just aren’t for everyone. If your priorities are full documentation and prior testing and proof to the nth degree prior to the first sale perhaps large scale, consumer products are better suited to you. Something from one of those mega corporations that have 14,000 dedicated documentation and compliance engineers and only make products that ship a minimum of 10 million units. Please just cancel your order already.
EXACTLY! Well said...

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #839 of 3,096
Pic of Mjolnir 3 with brushed aluminum cover has ben added to OP. :L3000:

Grabbed one of those as a moving prezzie. Generally prefer the SA gear in matte black but the MJ works well in silver I reckon.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #840 of 3,096
When I had the Ares 2, I tended to use a USB audio bridge to convert it to coaxial. Still using it as a way to get multiple USB sources into the BF2/64. But that bridge was better than the native USB implementation of the Ares. Anyways, there was something special about the midrange with the Ares 2 and the Mjolnir 3. Compared to the BF2/64, the Ares 2 had a more clearly defined negative space around the elements in the mix, whereas the staging on the BF2/64 is more diffuse or less precise. Ultimately, the Ares lacked the bass response I was looking for, which is why I sold it. Now, I've never heard any of the higher end Schiit DACs like the Gungnir or any version of the Yggy. So I can't speak to how they sound, other than to say if there's any "flaw" in the source, the Mjolnir may expose it. Gently. It's that combo of revelation and smoothness that I find so appealing in the Mjolnir 3. I have a lot of poor recordings in my music library and the Mjolnir plays nicely with a surprising amount of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back