Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #782 of 3,097
How about with the Yggy? I'm gonna drive down to the Schittr if they have a Mj3 out! Just shy of 3 hours 🥹 I know they said not recommended for iems, but I'm not sure if that's for pops on power up/switching topology or just noise floor. I'll look at the new Nitsch kit if a total no go.

Call them first if they have one in stock. You can demo them there since they have everything for demo :)

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #783 of 3,097
I'm gonna drive down to the Schittr if they have a Mj3 out! Just shy of 3 hours 🥹 I know they said not recommended for iems, but I'm not sure if that's for pops on power up/switching topology or just noise floor. I'll look at the new Nitsch kit if a total no go.

A while back (and just for schiits n' giggles) I tried my MJ3 on low gain with my FiiO FD5 using a XLR4-to-4.4mm converter and it worked surprising well and sounded great. I didn't notice any obvious noise floor hiss.

But you'd be crazy to buy a MJ3 to use primarily with IEMs. That's not what it's built for. But if you ever did want to use it with IEMs as a secondary use case, it would work just fine IMHO. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #784 of 3,097
I bought HE1000SE, I will receive them soon. I also have a BF 2/64, that I really like. Now all I have to do is buy MJ3 to listen to this combination of three, I hope I like it
I have the BF2/64-MJ3-HE1000SE combo. If you had similar sonic preferences as mine, you would love the combo. I like this combo even more than the BF2/64-MJ3-LCD5 combo. The LCD5 can be a bit unforgiving with bad recordings and it needs EQ to sound its very best. The MJ3 is the “smoothest” and “least fatiguing” solid state headphone amplifier that I have tried in the fourteen months that I have been seriously involved in this hobby…

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #785 of 3,097
A while back (and just for schiits n' giggles) I tried my MJ3 on low gain with my FiiO FD5 using a XLR4-to-4.4mm converter and it worked surprising well and sounded great. I didn't notice any obvious noise floor hiss.

But you'd be crazy to buy a MJ3 primarily for use with IEMs. That's not what it's built for. But if you ever did want to use it with IEMs as a secondary use case, it would work just fine IMHO. :ksc75smile:
Excellent. *gets crazy look in eyes*

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #786 of 3,097
Has anyone connected a Mjolnir 3 as headphone amp to a Freya+ line stage? If so, is there a difference between connecting via XLR balanced interconnects vs. RCA single ended interconnects? Reason why I ask is because I connect the balanced outputs of the Freya+ to the balanced inputs of my Pass DIY Aleph J Class A SS speaker amp. I think I can use the RCA single ended outputs of the Freya+ to connect to a Mjolnir 3. This would be most convenient, so I wouldn't have to swap cables going from speakers to headphones. Would I give up anything using single ended RCA interconnect cables to the Mjolnir 3? Too bad the Freya+ doesn’t have two pairs of balanced XLR outputs.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #788 of 3,097
Has anyone connected a Mjolnir 3 as headphone amp to a Freya+ line stage? If so, is there a difference between connecting via XLR balanced interconnects vs. RCA single ended interconnects? Reason why I ask is because I connect the balanced outputs of the Freya+ to the balanced inputs of my Pass DIY Aleph J Class A SS speaker amp. I think I can use the RCA single ended outputs of the Freya+ to connect to a Mjolnir 3. This would be most convenient, so I wouldn't have to swap cables going from speakers to headphones. Would I give up anything using single ended RCA interconnect cables to the Mjolnir 3? Too bad the Freya+ doesn’t have two pairs of balanced XLR outputs.
curious questions, i do not know about that idea.
i do know the MJ3 is a very good pre into my speaker amp. flip the switch for either headphone or speakers. my Freya+ sits disconnected.
backward to post #654 where Freya is used as tube buffer prior to MJ3. i may try that idea.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #790 of 3,097
Mjolnir 3 (silver) in the house. Arrived early afternoon.
Picts or it didn't happen! (mostly just want to drool over silver Schiit).

(yes, echoing myself from the other thread...)

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #791 of 3,097
Switch #2 Preamp enable. up to enable the preamp outputs, down to disable them. useful for when your using both headphones and powered monitors or speaker amps.

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #792 of 3,097
I have the BF2/64-MJ3-HE1000SE combo. If you have similar sonic preferences as mine, you will love the combo. I prefer this combo even better than the BF2/64-MJ3-LCD5 combo. The LCD5 can be a bit unforgiving with bad recordings and it needs EQ to sound its very best. The MJ3 is the “smoothest” and “least fatiguing” solid state headphone amplifier that I have tried in the fourteen months that I have been seriously involved in this hobby…
Yesterday I received the HE1000se in the mail and listened to them all day, wonderful headphones and excellent sound. I listened to a lot of different reviews before deciding to buy them, and they sound just like I imagined. HE1000se with BURSON Soloist 3XP sounds very good, especially when BURSON runs and warms up well, but I want to try MJ3 because I’ve been following it for a long time and you once again convinced me that I need to do it. Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience.

Attachments

• photo_2023-12-12_12-01-27.jpg
    photo_2023-12-12_12-01-27.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #794 of 3,097
And, the headphones are disabled when pre-amp is enabled? I know, just try it, but not in front of the unit currently, thanks.
Nope, the headphone jacks are always on, regardless of pre-amp being enabled or not (toggling the switch as I type this).
The switch only toggles the pre-amp outs, no effect on the headphone circuit.

The phrasing in manual is a bit vague/misleading ...

2 Preamp enable. Up to enable the preamp
outputs, down to disable them. Useful for
when you’re using both headphones and
powered monitors or speaker amp

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #795 of 3,097
Nope, the headphone jacks are always on, regardless of pre-amp being enabled or not (toggling the switch as I type this).
The switch only toggles the pre-amp outs, no effect on the headphone circuit.

The phrasing in manual is a bit vague/misleading ...

2 Preamp enable. Up to enable the preamp
outputs, down to disable them. Useful for
when you’re using both headphones and
powered monitors or speaker amp

This is what I heard from Currawong's review and I did ask at the Schiit happened forum, but no answer(s).
The concern is, at pre-amp mode, if left the headphone plugged in, will the volume up of the pre-amp will bring the headphone volume at the same time or not?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back