Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #421 of 2,798
I got a Modi 2Uber 10 years ago and barely ever listened to headphones. Bought the MJ3 yesterday damnit. Shipped yesterday as well which surprised me as when I went back to see the lead time it said November 1st. Maybe the last first run? I also noticed Fedex stated it’s 14 lbs. Hope all the parts are there. I currently have 6xx and Celestee with 1/4” terminations and will get xlr soon but plan on planers in my future as well as a dac to pair it with. Didn’t Jason hint at something new? In the meantime it’s going to have to be Modi MB OG to Freya OG to MJ3 as I’m not messing with the Gungnir/Freya+ in the main system. All I needed was a $100 dac.

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #422 of 2,798
I got a Modi 2Uber 10 years ago and barely ever listened to headphones. Bought the MJ3 yesterday damnit. Shipped yesterday as well which surprised me as when I went back to see the lead time it said November 1st. Maybe the last first run? I also noticed Fedex stated it’s 14 lbs. Hope all the parts are there. I currently have 6xx and Celestee with 1/4” terminations and will get xlr soon but plan on planers in my future as well as a dac to pair it with. Didn’t Jason hint at something new? In the meantime it’s going to have to be Modi MB OG to Freya OG to MJ3 as I’m not messing with the Gungnir/Freya+ in the main system. All I needed was a $100 dac.
Congrats on the purchase. Did you order the silver or black color? I placed a order on October 3rd for the silver color and currently is states it is in production status.

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #424 of 2,798
When I was at CanJam SoCal, I asked Jason what the grand total of Mjolnir 3's was going to be. He said 500, including the 230V version.
So I'm guessing that the first run was probably 250 units (mine's #180) and the second and (most likely) final run will also be 250 units, but probably around half of those will be the 230V version.

Just FYI.
Grr frustrating. I was saving up for my first speaker setup but I really don't want to miss this. Just got my order in.

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #425 of 2,798
Congrats on the purchase. Mj3 is a great amp and works really well with planers. I've used 6xx off of it as well and enjoyed it. There's definitely a big upgrade going from 6xx to something like lcdx which can be had for 600-700 used if you shop around. Going from hd800s/lcdx to susvara was the biggest improvement I've ever heard in gear change. Much bigger than 6xx to hd800s/lcdx.

I still have a modi dac and it can get the job done but there is definitely a noticeable improvement when I went from modi to yggy og a2.

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #427 of 2,798
yeah you also got to consider how much more expensive the FV was and people who were looking for that kind of tube madness

Oct 7, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #428 of 2,798
After a few weeks with the amp, I still can’t decided between single-ended and push-pull with my Meze Elite. Both modes sound excellent, so I’ve been alternating between the two quite a bit.

A surprise has been my consistent preference for high-gain in either mode. I’m usually the type that sticks to low-gain unless I happen to need more volume (which is almost never for my headphones and amps).

I haven’t even tried the feedback switch. I’ve left it in the down position since day one. I don’t think I’ve read of any MJ3 owners preferring feedback turned on. In an effort to limit the number of variables to choose between, I’ve opted to stick with no feedback.

Oct 7, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #429 of 2,798
Same here, I have not played with the Feedback switch yet, will try it out soon. I always use high gain on all my Schiit amps (MJ3, Jot2, Vali2), I just find it sounds more "right" in my system regardless of where my volume knob sits or how sensitive my headphones are.

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #430 of 2,798
Same here, I have not played with the Feedback switch yet, will try it out soon. **I always use high gain on all my Schiit amps (MJ3, Jot2, Vali2), I just find it sounds more "right" in my system regardless of where my volume knob sits or how sensitive my headphones are.**
… true for me with Lyr 3, Mjolnir 2, Valhalla 2.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #431 of 2,798
I haven't tried push pull yet.

Feedback is a way to get better measurements but it has its own issues (in my corner, Nelson Pass, in the opposite corner Bruno Putzeys (class D prom queen/king so I don't care what he thinks).

Resolution note on the MJ3 today: Manfredini Corelli Christmas Concerti: track 1 at 7:20 (and also, again, a little later) I swear I can hear someone coughing in the back of the auditorium studio. First time, I heard it I thought it might be the better half calling to me so I stopped playback.

I only noticed because it is right at the moment the Adagio is "crescendo-ing" (i.e. best part to me).

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #432 of 2,798
You do realize that 95% of Nelson's designs have feedback right? Not here to start an argument just to remove some dramatization and hyperbole. The difference between Nelson and Bruno is the amount of feedback. Engineering-wise, they're both rockstars, just working on two opposite solid state extremes.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #433 of 2,798
I did a quick test with the Feedback switch on MJ3. With feedback on, presentation is neater and proper, like more reserved. The presentation seemed flatter in a 2D way. Turning it off made the presentation more real and alive. More 3 dimensional. It just lets the music be more free.

Think I like feedback off more.

Oct 8, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #434 of 2,798
So I was able to end the vibration on the Mjolnir. Added some Sound Addicted (Amazon) rubber ball feet under the amp. Had them laying around. This also raises it to help with heat on the bottom. But what really helped was the weight on top. It’s gone. Soooo aUdiOphiLe!

Attachments

• IMG_9913.jpeg
    IMG_9913.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 8, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #435 of 2,798
So I was able to end the vibration on the Mjolnir. Added some Sound Addicted (Amazon) rubber ball feet under the amp. Had them laying around. This also raises it to help with heat on the bottom. But what really helped was the weight on top. It’s gone. Soooo aUdiOphiLe!
I, too, have found some of the Schiit h/p/a bodies-casework to be mildly resonant: especially those with fairy large overall surface area. This was definitely true of Mjolnir 2. Often, I would stack a couple of books atop, away from the tubes, to dampen the resonance. It worked!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back