Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #244 of 2,954
According to my memory, Ferrum stack was warmer, but MJ3 wins in clarity.
Not a fan of warm electronics as EQ can make anything warmer. Sometimes, however, "warmer" means less treble hash, and so clarity could be inferred to mean the opposite.

In this case, the clarity of MJ3 helps one hear more music without any ice picks in the ear....

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #245 of 2,954
I am pretty sure that Ferrum also has other advantages over MJ3, but I can't remember accurately. Anyways, I feel MJ3's clarity, depth and layers are hard to beat. I love it with my LCD5 and HD820.

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #248 of 2,954
Are there any signs, or did it just suddenly go silent?
I turned it on before dinner and listened to a couple of tracks, but I left it on without music playing. After I come back in 2 hours, I heard hiss in the right cup. I restarted the whole chain, and only heard music in the right cup. I tried a few more things to diagnose, the right channel died soon after.

I tried different headphones on MJ3, and also the same source feeding different amp. Everything else works except MJ3.

Sep 6, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #250 of 2,954
Ahhh, my MJ3 just died......

Its left channel died first, then the right after a power cycle. I tried many sources and headphones, no more sound.

I guess time to contact Schiit!!!😫
I'm sure they'll take care of you. HST

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #251 of 2,954
I previously bought a schitt folkvangr and really enjoyed it for the time I had it. I decided to now try the mjolnir 3 and after trying it for the first time today I can say I am again surprised by how fun sounding this brand is.

Reading the manual it says single ended class A is the purest kind. So, I decided to try my zmf aeolus first on single ended (meaning no push pull), low gain, no feedback, using balanced in, balanced out and my aeolus sounds great out of it. Volume wise I'm hovering above or below 9 o'clock on low gain so there is plenty of volume and power to play with here.

It definitely reminds me of the folkvangr in that its timbre is really good and there is a pleasing richness to the sound (it kinda softens sharp edges to the sound but somehow remains very direct and engaging), it does have less midrange bloom than folkvangr from my memory of it. I agree with comments I've read here and on other sites in that there is better extension up top and at the bottom vs the folkvangr which was going for a more unique sound. Bass has a bit of a pronounced thump to it so the amp to my ears has a bit of warmth which I really like.

I've never heard schitt products until I bought the folkvangr and now the mjolnir 3, but consider me a fan of the brand now.
They have a really fun way of presenting music that I have trouble trying to find in other brands. Not that there's anything wrong with amps that may be more on the clinical side, I just prefer what's going on here a little more.

Schitt audio is now two for two with impressing me. I really like how it's so direct and engaging but somehow not abrasive.

Attachments

• 20230907_212148.jpg
    20230907_212148.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #252 of 2,954
Ahhh, my MJ3 just died......

Its left channel died first, then the right after a power cycle. I tried many sources and headphones, no more sound.

I guess time to contact Schiit!!!😫

Good thing you've got the 5 year warranty. I'm amazed at how many Hi-End audio companies offer 3 years or less, for components costing tens of thousands of dollars.
Schiit has one of the better warrantys for most of their audio gear. Best of luck with the repair!

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #253 of 2,954
I previously bought a schitt folkvangr and really enjoyed it for the time I had it. I decided to now try the mjolnir 3 and after trying it for the first time today I can say I am again surprised by how fun sounding this brand is.

I've never heard schitt products until I bought the folkvangr and now the mjolnir 3, but consider me a fan of the brand now.
They have a really fun way of presenting music that I have trouble trying to find in other brands. Not that there's anything wrong with amps that may be more on the clinical side, I just prefer what's going on here a little more.

Schitt audio is now two for two with impressing me. I really like how it's so direct and engaging but somehow not abrasive.
How did FV compare to ZMF/Decware? Two themes on the same tubes ... check out Nitsch Piety if you like Schiit products with personality.

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #255 of 2,954
How did FV compare to ZMF/Decware? Two themes on the same tubes ... check out Nitsch Piety if you like Schiit products with personality.

The Piety is a great sounding little headphone amplifier. It lacks the resolution of some of the best headphone amplifiers, but for the money I have never heard anything nearly as good.

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_142424.jpg
    IMG_20230909_142424.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back