Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #197 of 2,798
At least neither is on the right side where all the hot is! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 30, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #199 of 2,798
Has anyone tried using mjolnir 3 as a pre amp yet? How do you think it would compare to other pre amps like the kara?
Maybe better. Chokes! Def could be quieter, with headphones near silent in SE mode. Depends on high the output is and if a person wanted long runs to their amps aka balanced cables. And of course more inputs, but if you have URD ....

Surprise pairing: Grado 2000x! lo/se/fb on.

Each brings out the best parts of the other: wide open landscapes, extended frequency response, dead silent noise floor, and even the bass seems filled out! The high end is not at all irritating, in fact, m3 is a great pairing with Grado 2000x!!!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #200 of 2,798
Been listening to this with LCD MX4 / LCD X 2021 and I have to say the amount of detail with this amp vs my prev daily drivers Magnius and Ragnarok 1 is unreal. The separation of instruments is really on another level, esp with snare drums and hi hat / ride cymbals on all the songs I have listened to so far.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #201 of 2,798
There's maybe one hour a day where the sunlight reaches my desk. I give you the Mjolnir 3!

1693402297160.png

Hey, can you share where you get the fancy weight for cable management?
Looks like a very neat solution for listening at the desk

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #202 of 2,798
It doesn't say in the manual whether one should turn the amp off before changing any of the sittings.

Should I turn the amp off before changing any of the settings?

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #203 of 2,798
It doesn't say in the manual whether one should turn the amp off before changing any of the sittings.

You should be good. It vaguely mentions it by way of, "Note 2: There may be a small to moderate glitch when switching gain or mode. If you would like to avoid this, unplug your headphones. We do not recommend IEMs with this amp in any case.".

I don't turn mine off when I swap and I haven't noticed anything noteworthy. The "glitch" is really quiet even while wearing headphones IME.

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #204 of 2,798
Hey, can you share where you get the fancy weight for cable management?
Looks like a very neat solution for listening at the desk
For sure. It's a Pinza in the size large. It's great with all but the gnarliest of cables.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #206 of 2,798

At least, turn the volume down if you're listening at ear-bleeding levels. I tried it at lower (sane) volumes and had no ill effects to either my ears or my HPs.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #207 of 2,798
There is just something about the mjolnir 3 where I feel like I am getting more detail than I have noticed before in the textures of sounds. It's almost like an exotic delicious piece of fruit you want to take a big bite out of to satiate your hunger. You can eat other food but you might not get the same level of texture and flavor. There's definitely a lot going on.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #208 of 2,798
After more time behind the mjolnir 3 it is becoming my favorite amp. The sound is quite decadent and beautiful. It maintains treble detail, and provides punch to bass even on susvara and ab 1266. I am hearing so much detail from the susvara and 1266 it really is incredible.
What amp(s) were you using before?

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #210 of 2,798
I've used magni, hdva600, mjolnir 2, dna starlett, dna stratus, bliss kte.

Headphones: hd6xx, hd800s, lcd-x, Susvara, Abyss AB 1266 Phi tc.

Dac: modi 2, yggdrasil og a2.
Are you liking the MJ3 more than the other amps, including the Bliss, with your planars? I have a Meze Elite that is my main headphone, and it's relatively easy to drive. It will supposedly scale with better amps, so I'm tempted to try the MJ3. I use and like the Cayin iHA-6 currently. I have recently upgraded to a Yggy A2 from an OG Bifrost 2, and I wonder if my amp is the weak link in the chain now. Don't get me wrong, it sounds excellent, but as always, I'm curious if it could be improved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back