Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 20, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #2,912 of 3,012
Got my Mj3 from Schiit EU on Friday.
As excellent as it sounds it's transformers buzzes like hell. Has anyone found any solution for this issue? DC blocker came across few times
Transformer buzzing is due to DC or Ground loop. Connect it in same power outlet as other devices. Nothing to do with MJ3. Atleast I haven’t experienced from MJ3 that I have. It may be faint but not loud to be heard across room. And ground loop is common cause of loud buzz from transformer

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,913 of 3,012
Are you getting the Arya first or the Mjolnir 3?

I don't think I can afford both at the same time. I have a few headphones right now so I'm not in great need. The Schiit Midgard is a very competent amp but I suspect the Mjolnir would pair even better with my Gungnir DAC. Just wish my Gungnir was in black as I prefer that over silver.

May 20, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #2,914 of 3,012
I don't think I can afford both at the same time. I have a few headphones right now so I'm not in great need. The Schiit Midgard is a very competent amp but I suspect the Mjolnir would pair even better with my Gungnir DAC. Just wish my Gungnir was in black as I prefer that over silver.
I hear you, the only reason I got the silver Bifrost was because it was at a discount on B-stock.
It should be a nice pairing, as others have said that Mjolnir 3 benefits from a more capable DAC.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #2,915 of 3,012
I hear you, the only reason I got the silver Bifrost was because it was at a discount on B-stock.

I still have my Bifrost 2. I'm looking to sell it but hesitant cause it's a really good DAC. Even though I have the Gungnir Multibit.

May 20, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #2,917 of 3,012
I am going to keep mine as well after I get my Yggdrasil next year. My Bifrost + Soloist 3xp are going to be my listening chair setup.

I'm still waiting for my new listening chair. Haha. If I get the Mjolnir 3 I'm likely going to get a new audio rack to accommodate the amp and Gungnir and my CD player.

May 20, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #2,918 of 3,012
I can hear it all over my living room if there are no other noises. It sounds like fridge that has low noise grade.
Doesn’t sound too good, my MJ3 is very quiet actually…i can’t hear the buzz or vibrations that people speak of…i can hear it faintly if i put my ear to the chassis

May 20, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #2,919 of 3,012
Keep it cool. Mine has zero transformer or choke buzz and vibration. No snap crackle pop on power down either well because it's running cool. I hesitate to say anything more about it, everyone prolly had enough of my yapping about it. LOL

May 20, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #2,920 of 3,012
Anyone using MJ3 to drive ZMF Atriums? Wondering how much the mis-match between amp output impedance (0.25 ohms) and the 300 ohm impedance of the Atriums affects the SQ? Or no worries?
Very good bass, deep and wide stage and good layering
Only thing you might want is slight crunch in upper treble or brilliance region otherwise all good.

May 21, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #2,921 of 3,012
Got my Mj3 from Schiit EU on Friday.
As excellent as it sounds it's transformers buzzes like hell. Has anyone found any solution for this issue? DC blocker came across few times

Straight from the manual. I've had two different units and both have hum and vibration from the chassis. Dead silent from headphones though.

Screenshot_20240520_233500_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #2,922 of 3,012
And ground loop is common cause of loud buzz from transformer
I've tried that theory. It's not is ground loop as Mj3 connected to power socket only buzzes same way.
I'll try dc blocker later.

May 21, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #2,923 of 3,012
May 21, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #2,925 of 3,012
I've tried that theory. It's not is ground loop as Mj3 connected to power socket only buzzes same way.
I'll try dc blocker later.
Just get properly insulated power cables. The hums will be gone.
Something like this: IECpower cables

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back